Hello from beautiful east Tennessee - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-14-2018, 08:34 AM   #1

Name: Consuelo
Trailer: Researching
Tennessee
Hello from beautiful east Tennessee

Hi to all...

My SO and I live in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains in east Tennessee, and I have been camping and rv'ing most of my adult life. In addition to tent camping, We've had a camper van and two class A motor homes. Our current rig is a 35' National RV Dolphin gasser.

We're interested in downsizing to a small (16-19') bumper-pull and pretty sure a fiberglass camper is the way to go. I'm researching to learn more about this, including evaluating various vehicles to use as a tug.

We want to downsize because of the relative simplicity of a small pull-behind, much lower maintenance and storage costs, and increased flexibility in where we camp. We're excited at the prospect of making a change!
caheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:44 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Suggest you go to the rally in Townsend in April. Very few 19s out there. The two most plentiful brands are Casita and Scamp. Casita maxes out at 17 foot, Scamp maxes out at 16 foot (other than their fifth wheel). Its amazing what a couple of feet can mean space wise.

IMHO, many people under-estimate the weight of molded trailers and over-estimate the tow capacity of their vehicle. I saw a Honda Fit towing a Boler last year (the Fit has zero tow rating).

Molded FG trailers tend to be both shorter in length than traditional trailers and narrower as well. So compromises are key. Its easy moving from a tent to a FG trailer. Its harder moving from a larger trailer or motorhome. You are right though, a smaller trailer is more convenient, will fit in more campsites, easier to store, etc.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:00 AM   #3

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Registry
Welcome!
You are near Oliver Trailer. Maybe have a look!
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:05 AM   #4

Tennessee
Thank you for the tip about April!

I am meticulous about tow weights, etc., but there is always more to learn. My plan is for the fully provisioned camper to come in 20% less than TWR and also keep below GCWR after loading the tug with pax and cargo.

I'm looking at the Nissan Pathfinder (6000#), Honda Pilot (5000#), Toyota Highlander (5000#), and the Hyundai Santa Fe (5000#). I like the specs and ratings on the Kia Sorento (5000#) but the tongue weight rating is low (350#) so that would knock Casita off the list of potential campers.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:57 AM   #5

Tennessee
Yes... we plan on visiting Oliver. Discovered them only a couple days ago.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Give Anita or Heather a call at Oliver and arrange a factory tour the day you visit. It’s 2-3 hours long but worth the time. Olivers are expensive and the tour will explain why. Good luck with your search! Mike
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1999 Casita Spirit Deluxe
South Carolina
Registry
Welcome!

We love our 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe. It's a great size and we pull with an older Toyota Sequoia. We lived in Newport, TN, for 7 years in the late 80's/early 90's. Yes, East Tennessee is a beautiful part of the world! Enjoy your search!
GerthT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #8

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
Good luck with your search. I've lived most of my life here in East Tennessee and it's a great place to camp. The wife and I purchased a 16' Scamp last summer and we love it. Way easier to pull than the standard mega travel trailers and a nice bed to sleep in out of the elements. The biggest thing I think you might have a problem with, especially going from a Class A is storage. You kind of have to think more like a back packer and lighten the load. My wife struggles with that. I swear the first time we took out the Scamp her pile of stuff to take was bigger than the camper.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:46 PM   #9

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerthT View Post
We love our 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe. It's a great size and we pull with an older Toyota Sequoia. We lived in Newport, TN, for 7 years in the late 80's/early 90's. Yes, East Tennessee is a beautiful part of the world! Enjoy your search!
Thank you!
Old 01-14-2018, 07:48 PM   #10

Tennessee
Eric,

You are right about storage differences! We have been "steeling" ourselves for that. But as longtime tent campers, I think we're up to the transition. I'm actually looking forward to simplifying.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:54 PM   #11

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Consuelo!

Wishing you the best with your search for your egg and a great tug. We are currently camping in our Casita and starting our 3rd season. We love it. Check out a rally this spring! Townsend is a great possibility.

Take care,

Dean
Old 01-17-2018, 10:30 AM   #12

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Suggest you go to the rally in Townsend in April. Very few 19s out there. The two most plentiful brands are Casita and Scamp. Casita maxes out at 17 foot, Scamp maxes out at 16 foot (other than their fifth wheel). Its amazing what a couple of feet can mean space wise.

IMHO, many people under-estimate the weight of molded trailers and over-estimate the tow capacity of their vehicle. I saw a Honda Fit towing a Boler last year (the Fit has zero tow rating).

Molded FG trailers tend to be both shorter in length than traditional trailers and narrower as well. So compromises are key. Its easy moving from a tent to a FG trailer. Its harder moving from a larger trailer or motorhome. You are right though, a smaller trailer is more convenient, will fit in more campsites, easier to store, etc.
There is no rally shown on the map for April in Tennessee at Townsend?
Old 01-17-2018, 10:45 AM   #13

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Take a look at the Escape 19. Not a lot of Escapes in the eastern part of the country but a phone call to the factory in Chillawack, BC will refer you to any owners within a reasonable distance from you. I’ve shown my 19 several times.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:05 PM   #14

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There is no rally shown on the map for April in Tennessee at Townsend?
Not every rally takes the time to list at this site. I am not connected with the group holding the event, its an informal club

The Egg Camping Club of Georgia, Tennessee, & Alabama holds the rally. Little to no information out on it yet, except a date and place: KOA Townsend, TN. Great location by the way, once you run the gauntlet of Pigeon Forge. Less than 1 mile from one entrance to Smoky Mtn NP.

I usually avoid all KOAs, but this one is nice! Its the only KOA i've been to that wasn't wedged between the Interstate and a major freight train track.....

Be sure to tell them you are with the rally to save big on the camping.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:18 PM   #15

Tennessee
The Escape is on my short-list! I really like them. Did you buy new? If so, have to had to have any warranty work done?
Old 01-17-2018, 12:23 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Appliances are covered by the individual manufacturer's warranty. Your instruction manual will provide information for locating a authorized service centre near you.
For the trailer itself, you would contact Escape with the issue of concern and they would approve arrangements for repair at a location near you.
That said, the only issue I had with mine was the furnace and I had it fixed under warranty at an RV centre a mile away from my home.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:31 AM   #17

Tennessee
Thanks, Glenn!
Old 01-23-2018, 06:12 PM   #18

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Hello Consuelo! I love my Lil Snoozy. First RV. I lurked at RV forums for 12 years before purchasing. Went from a car camper to a backpacker to a KOA Kamping Kabin "kamper" during those years.
Eric, your wife sounds like my DH. I only overpack on food, myself.
You should call the factories of the brands you are interested in and see if they have any owners in your area who are agreeable to showing off their babies. I do this for Lil Snoozy frequently. There was quite a difference between looking at floor plans and actually eyeballing the trailer. I was quite convinced the RPod was it, until I actually toured one. Despite the size of it, and the slide (which I didn't want) I felt very, very cramped moving about in it. Have fun researching, I'm sure your perfect trailer is out there.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:41 PM   #19

Tennessee
Thank you, Mitzi!