Hello from Calif, new old Bigfoot - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #21

Name: Gary & Sonja
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot B17G
California
Registry
Paul,

Yes the beginning of silicon valley, we had prune orchards behind our house for short while in Saratoga. I remember riding my bike in Cupertino past some storefronts. I clearly recall seeing one with a sign hanging from the eave, Apple Computer.

Bob,

We tow with a 2002 F150 King Ranch. I loved that naked leather when I first saw it. Got 119k on the odo. I've admired those that kept their trucks forever and maybe I might do the same. Hope it can handle the extra load. Sonja calls it Hank.

I did my BA and MS at SJSU too. Good enough for dad, good enough for me. Studied accounting, got my CPA, switched to tax but got out after I realized I might die doing something that drove me crazy.

Life has provided many twists and turns, eventually all for the better.

Now I have a small home based insurance business that just might be able to go on the road with me. Sonja is an incredible massage therapist. I was so inspired by what she did and the results she got with her patients that I got my certification last year. Simply put, it changed my perspective on things. I also use it to give her much needed massages.

Gary
Pomfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #22

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomfritz View Post
Did the brake controller and sway bar help keep this situation in check?
I'd say Yes.

It seems funny that with the anti-sway bar you'd get sway other than going too fast. I'd say the culprit might have been because you were going downhill and possibly too fast.

The times I've noticed any sway in my trailer is when going downhill picking up speed. Also at the same time incurring a curve or even a slight bump. I keep my speed at or below 60mph. The Grapevine is a horrible road to drive and I never drive in the slow lane as it's the worst, being torn up my Semi's.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #23

California
Registry
Thanks Joy, we keep it lower than without hauling a trailer, Learning what is, is not too fast. At one point Sonja had it going around 35 up a hill, semis were passing us by. BTW we do split the time but she seems to have more interesting driving episodes than me.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #24

California
Registry
Okay PICS are loaded into an album. I am not sure how you can see this if you go into the community tab, seems like jsut individual pics show up, not albums. The album is my profile I guess. Exterior shots, will post interior later when I take her out of strorage again to practice you know what.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #25

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Tips on Sway
Several things increase the chance of sway, the biggest is too little tongue weight. Ya gotta have at least 10% of total weight on the tongue. Buy a 350 lb range bathroom scale at the "Big Flea" for $5 or so and get your jack up on it. 15% is better, any more may stress your hitch, check the rating stamped near the receiver. Your 17.5 BigFoot will weigh at least 3000 lbs loaded, that wt. shown on the closet door sticker is "Empty weight"

To stop sway: a) Apply trailer brakes only and/or try to accelerate. This can get a bit scary going down a hill but sometimes it's the only way. Years ago we spun a Chevy Blazer and a 26' Airstream 180 degrees on the interstate in Utah when a triple truck came by at 80 MPH and everything got out of hand. No injuries, but my wife refused to ever drive with the Airstream attached again.

BTW: Towing speed limit in CA is 55, I have been given a reminder of that already...
Maximum safe speed on NEW trailer tires (Marked ST for special trailer) is 65 MPH when inflated to max pressure on the sidewall
Trailer brake are mandatory for anything over 1500 lbs in CA.

And Last: When my s.o. and I are in a campground there is at least one Asian.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #26

California
Registry
Bob,

Thank you for those tips. We were in the 60-65 range normally. I will remember the trailer only brake thing, now I know what that manual level is onthe controller.

You may see one more soon...
Old 08-14-2012, 11:50 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Congratulations on the trailer and the first of your adventures!
Old 08-15-2012, 12:16 AM   #28

Name: Coralie
Trailer: Mity Lite Spacemaster
Washington
You can upload pics directly from your computer- they are files like any other. Good luck!
tatertots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #29

California
Registry
Found out I could do the computer uploads and I am very happy about that.

Thanks!

Tags
bigfoot