Hello from Central Kentucky - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-18-2015, 08:52 AM   #15

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Wow, this is turning into a wild reunion for the Big Blue Nation or Get-to-gether type of gathering. Pretty funny and very welcome as far as we're concerned.

Well, we gone and done it. We have a verbal agreement to purchase a 1993 16' Scamp from a couple in Michigan and I will be driving to pick up our new baby this coming Saturday. It could turn into a quite an adventure because the weather reports have been singing a song of stormy conditions and I'll be running up the East side of the Lake Michigan so I could see "lake affect" snow if the temperatures are right.

Since I grew up in The Great White North of Minnesota, I ain't 'fraid of a little snow. Of course, I have a healthy respect based on numerous visit to "the ditch" while I was a teenager. So, I'll pack accordingly and drive with extreme care, but I'm going. It may be a solo trip and my son may choose to go with me, but Laura is staying behind due to prior commitments. We're looking forward to meeting y'all on the road/campground/adventures of our future Wanderings! Whoohooo! (Can you tell we're excited?)

Old 11-18-2015, 08:56 AM   #16

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
Good morning Bill and Laura. Just wanted to make sure you know that there is a Fiberglass RV rally the weekend of April 15, 2016 at Townsend TN. That will be a prime opportunity to see many different campers. We plan on being there ourselves. Our Escape will not be built until August 2016, but it will give us one last chance to see a few before we have to send in our final build sheet in May. Hope to see you there.
This right here looks like something that we could get excited about. Pretty close to us geographically and would be our first big trip. We'll have to talk about this one and see if we can plan for a big and rich time!

Old 11-18-2015, 02:17 PM   #17

Kentucky
Registry
Ok, monkey wrench in our plans. It seems that the 2006 fire at the Scamp factory included more changes than what anyone would initially suspect. It has been suggested that when the fire destroyed everything in the factory in 2006, it also destroyed the molds for all the models. Since they would be required to remanufacture the molds, Scamp decided to add some interior height to the Scamp trailers. However, that would suggest that everything before 2006 had an interior height of 5'10" and after 2006 had an interior height of 6'1".

This is deal breaker for me/us. I am 6'3" and while I would be willing to sustain the 6'1" limit, but the 5'10" is too much of a strain on my already shrinking physiology. Maybe if I wait about 10-12 years and I've shrunk a lot more, I'd fit.

I've texted the current owner asking that they measure the interior height but I'm afraid that my road trip to Michigan has been cancelled. We'll see...

Anyone care to substantiate the interior head room dimension?
Old 11-18-2015, 02:57 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Don't have one to measure, but...

My understanding is that only the 13'er grew after the fire, and that the 16'ers have always been about 6'1" or 6'2". In fact, I read somewhere that they used a cut-down 16'er to create the plug for the new 13' molds after the fire.

Hopefully one of our Scamp experts will chime in to confirm or correct.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #19

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

My understanding is that only the 13'er grew after the fire, and that the 16'ers have always been about 6'1" or 6'2". In fact, I read somewhere that they used a cut-down 16'er to create the plug for the new 13' molds after the fire.

I hope you're right. I really want this buy to work out for us.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:53 PM   #20

Name: James
Trailer: Quicksilver 10.0 tent camper
Alabama
I have nothing to contribute except a shout out from Georgetown, KY.

Also, I've been lurking on this site learning what I can about these style campers. I'm very tempted to go this route myself. I have a Livin Lite Quicksilver tent camper that my family of four uses right now. It's great, but there are times during lightning storms I wished I had some solid walls around me. Any of you KY folks that would like to show off your camper give me a shout out. My wife wants to check one out.
Anyways, good luck camper shopping!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2015, 03:55 PM   #21

Kentucky
Registry
Update: measures 6'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

The seller has provided the measurement of the center at 6'1" so we're good to go and I'll be making the adventure drive to Michigan. Anybody else getting whiplash from this on/off/on yet? Whoohooo! We're back to super excited again.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:57 PM   #22

Name: Linda
Trailer: In the market
Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
The seller has provided the measurement of the center at 6'1" so we're good to go and I'll be making the adventure drive to Michigan. Anybody else getting whiplash from this on/off/on yet? Whoohooo! We're back to super excited again.
Yay hooray!!!!
Old 11-18-2015, 03:57 PM   #23

Kentucky
Registry
You'd be welcome at our campfire, when we git home

Quote:
Originally Posted by kybrowns View Post
I have nothing to contribute except a shout out from Georgetown, KY.

Also, I've been lurking on this site learning what I can about these style campers. I'm very tempted to go this route myself. I have a Livin Lite Quicksilver tent camper that my family of four uses right now. It's great, but there are times during lightning storms I wished I had some solid walls around me. Any of you KY folks that would like to show off your camper give me a shout out. My wife wants to check one out.
Anyways, good luck camper shopping!

KyBrown: you and yours are welcome at our house to kick our tires when ever you feel like it. Of course, I have to get it home first, but you can contact me here when ever...
Old 11-18-2015, 05:08 PM   #24

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Lil' Snoozy (had Casita SD, Bigfoot 21FB, & Oliver Elite II)
Kentucky
Hey Georgetown,

If you are interested in seeing a twin bed 23'6" Oliver, please send me a private message. We are located on "your side" of Louisville.

You are welcome to see; however, it probably isn't the best floor plan for a family of four. You may want to start a thread about recommended floor plans for your situation. I have no doubt you would get a lot of helpful suggestions from the FGRV folks.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:05 PM   #25

Name: James
Trailer: Quicksilver 10.0 tent camper
Alabama
Hello from Central Kentucky

Thanks I may do that sometime. Very nice of you guys. I should probably start my own thread. Do not want to hijack this one.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #26

Kentucky
Registry
Round the world and back

Well, I'm home safe. 990 miles+/- and our new-to-us 1993 Scamp is home too. Pictures to come. I gotta hit the bed. I'm beat.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:07 PM   #27

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Old 11-24-2015, 08:12 AM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Congratulations! Wishing you many exciting travels!