Hello from Central Kentucky - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2015, 06:41 PM   #1

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Hello from Central Kentucky

My wife and I are looking to future as we move toward retirement and are shopping for a Tiny Trailer. We've been "in love" with just about every make and model that we've seen and been fortunate to have already met a few great people one here.

We're hoping to be able to explore our new freedom in a tiny camper and are patiently shopping (NOT) for just the right one. It's a matter of timing and good attention but we are very excited to be here and looking forward to miles of fun.

Bill & Laura
Danville, KY
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:47 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
So we can be of more help, let us know what you will be towing with so we can make recommendations as to what might be "IN" and what might be "OUT" for you.

Sometimes the phrase "Tiny Camper" can have very different meanings, depending on the venue.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:50 PM   #3

Kentucky
Registry
Bob, we have two vehicles that would be considered for towing but the primary would be our 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with the 3.6L V6 engine. We do still have our farm truck as a 2004 Ford F150 if needed it, but then we'd be looking at a much larger camper and we're hoping to keep things in the FGRV range and size for weight and budget.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:18 PM   #4

It kinda looks like your Jeep would be a good choice as far as weight limits are concerned. This chart from the Jeep website indicates that it should be 3500 lbs, enough for almost any (but not all) of the 17" and smaller FRV's. BUT, check your owners manual for an exact limit for your vehicle and let us know if it is different.
Jeep Capabilities - Towing Capacity Chart*

There is a chart of actual/typical real world weights here that may be of interest to you. There is a general rule to not use up all of the capacity you have, 80% is often mentioned.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

Now give us a few clues about how many you need to sleep, the age/condition you can accept, any special "Must Have" features,and your approximate budget and lets see what happens.

FWIW: My fav with those parameters is the 17' BigFoot. (not the later 17.5' BigFoot, it's gonna be a bit to heavy) I think that the first 17.5 Bigfoot in the chart is actually a 17'.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:29 PM   #5

Kentucky
Registry
Bob: This camper is going to be just for me and my wife and our four tiny dogs. The reason we don't travel now is that we can't take our dogs with us and everywhere we go we have to return home each day/night for them.

I am 6'3" and my wife is 5'7" and we agree that the Jeep is going to be our primary tow vehicle, as that was it's intended use when we purchased the Jeep and I had them add the towing kit. I'm familiar with the tow ratings and we are being careful as we shop.

It was very clear today, when we examined a 13' unit, that we need the 16'/17' models for our physical needs. Interior height is going to be a concern for me and so far we've figured that we need to look at a Scamp/Casita/Egg/LilSnoozy. We're still examining specs to determine who has what interior height and Casita has conflicting information when we see 6'1" or 6'3" depending on which web site you're looking at...
Old 11-16-2015, 08:42 PM   #6

Height is an often cited issue, but keep in mind that you won't be standing up and walking around inside a 17' FGRV a whole lot.
In the FGRV world, being height advantaged means being 5'7". LOL

Put up a post about the height issue and you will get some actual measurements for new and older FGRV's.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Hi and welcome to the forum, glad to have you among us ! As always my first recommend is visit a gathering to get a real look and walk around in the different brands ( realizing of course that it will be awhile before they fire up ). My best recommend for a trailer amenable to your height is a Trillium 5500 ( I owned one but now have a Bigfoot 17, better floor plan for wife and I ). 5500's are very hard to find but as always patience pays big dividends. The back dinette converts to a bed with a length of 7 feet plus and the height will accommodate your height. Plenty of room up front for the pups and a full bath. Like I said very hard to find. Best of luck. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:51 AM   #8

Name: Linda
Trailer: In the market
Kentucky
Hey, Danville! Shout out from Frankfort!

We're in the market, too, lusting after an Oliver. The floorplan is perfect for us. Very pricey, tbough, so might not happen. We're both 5'7", so height is not an issue for us.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt!
llfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Bill and Laura!

Re the height issue... Headroom is one issue, and the other is bed length. By most accounts, the latter is more important. After all, you'll spend a lot more time sleeping than walking around in the trailer.

All Scamps and Casitas* have a 75"-76" main bed, limited by the width of the shell and lining. That won't leave a lot of room for your pillow or to stretch out your feet. Depending on how you sleep, it may or may not be comfortable. (*Casita Liberty and Independence models have a longways bed, but give up a second eating area).

Casita 16s are only 5'10" inside. Scamp 16s and Casita 17s are about 6'2". Casita 17s are fairly heavy, especially on the tongue (average 3300 points total, 425 pounds tongue weight).

EggCamper and Lil Snoozy have ample headroom and an 80" main bed, but they are both all-electric.

Parkliner has headroom and an 80" main bed and propane appliances, but the company has closed and there aren't many out there. There were also a few design glitches that affected some units.

An older Bigfoot 17G, as Bob mentioned, might be worth looking for. It's a bit lighter than a Casita 17, has more room inside, including headroom, and the gaucho bed is longways to accommodate a taller person. You may have to drive some distance to find one, though- most of the ones I've seen have been in the NW states and western Canada. Of course, with an older trailer, you'll have to do a very careful inspection and expect some rehab will be needed.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:37 AM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Hi, since you have both a jeep and a truck, may i give you some food for thought. I tow with my 16` Scamp with a SUV, Rav4 V6 tow pkg. I am happy with it, however sometimes i wish i had a truck with a topper or tonneau cover. So much more storage especially when you want to stop at a rest area or walmarts to rest up. My golden takes up the back seat, that's hers. All the large stuff is in the camper when i stop and want to use the camper i have to transfer every thing that is in the isle, into the tug for us two and the spoiled golden, who looks at me and says, what!! you want me to move. Their is no way i am going to buy a new truck, but i may try to find an older model for under 5k, just thinking. You have choices at your disposal. Good luck, Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:57 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
Hey shout out to Danville and Frankfort from Richmond,

We jumped into fiberglass trailers a few years ago after a cross country trip in a VW Eurovan camper. We learned fairly quickly that once you set up camp you were stuck unless you wanted to pack up everything to go sight seeing. We talked to a few people that were towing small trailers and decided before we got home to take a closer look at Casitas. Ultimately we bought a 2010 Liberty deluxe and have modified it for our style of traveling and camping. We are set up for traveling on a budget and boon docking. If you would like to take a look just send me a PM and we will arrange a showing. We would be traveling now except for me doing my civic duty with Madison county jury duty.

Larry Clift aka Beetlefreak
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:06 PM   #12

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Oliver Elite II (had Casita SD, Bigfoot 21FB, & Lil Snoozy)
Kentucky
Shout out to Danville, Frankfort, & Richmond from Louisville.

I don't have much to add to this conversation other than saying hello to fellow Kentuckians!

We began our fiberglass journey with a Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe, then got a 21' Bigfoot, and now have an Oliver. All have been good to us in different ways.

Best wishes for finding the trailer that is right for you. This site will be very helpful in your search.

Craig & Kathy
Kentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:14 AM   #13

Name: Linda
Trailer: In the market
Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky View Post
Shout out to Danville, Frankfort, & Richmond from Louisville.

I don't have much to add to this conversation other than saying hello to fellow Kentuckians!

We began our fiberglass journey with a Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe, then got a 21' Bigfoot, and now have an Oliver. All have been good to us in different ways.

Best wishes for finding the trailer that is right for you. This site will be very helpful in your search.

Craig & Kathy
Hey, Louisville!

Put the for sale sign in the yard Friday, they put the listing on the Internet Monday. Wish us luck! I was just kidding Danville, we're gonna get an Ollie if we have to sell our souls to the devil to do it! Still seeing your trailer in my dreams!
llfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:18 AM   #14

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Good morning Bill and Laura. Just wanted to make sure you know that there is a Fiberglass RV rally the weekend of April 15, 2016 at Townsend TN. That will be a prime opportunity to see many different campers. We plan on being there ourselves. Our Escape will not be built until August 2016, but it will give us one last chance to see a few before we have to send in our final build sheet in May. Hope to see you there.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:52 AM   #15

Kentucky
Registry
Wow, this is turning into a wild reunion for the Big Blue Nation or Get-to-gether type of gathering. Pretty funny and very welcome as far as we're concerned.

Well, we gone and done it. We have a verbal agreement to purchase a 1993 16' Scamp from a couple in Michigan and I will be driving to pick up our new baby this coming Saturday. It could turn into a quite an adventure because the weather reports have been singing a song of stormy conditions and I'll be running up the East side of the Lake Michigan so I could see "lake affect" snow if the temperatures are right.

Since I grew up in The Great White North of Minnesota, I ain't 'fraid of a little snow. Of course, I have a healthy respect based on numerous visit to "the ditch" while I was a teenager. So, I'll pack accordingly and drive with extreme care, but I'm going. It may be a solo trip and my son may choose to go with me, but Laura is staying behind due to prior commitments. We're looking forward to meeting y'all on the road/campground/adventures of our future Wanderings! Whoohooo! (Can you tell we're excited?)
Old 11-18-2015, 08:56 AM   #16

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
Good morning Bill and Laura. Just wanted to make sure you know that there is a Fiberglass RV rally the weekend of April 15, 2016 at Townsend TN. That will be a prime opportunity to see many different campers. We plan on being there ourselves. Our Escape will not be built until August 2016, but it will give us one last chance to see a few before we have to send in our final build sheet in May. Hope to see you there.
This right here looks like something that we could get excited about. Pretty close to us geographically and would be our first big trip. We'll have to talk about this one and see if we can plan for a big and rich time!
Old 11-18-2015, 02:17 PM   #17

Kentucky
Registry
Ok, monkey wrench in our plans. It seems that the 2006 fire at the Scamp factory included more changes than what anyone would initially suspect. It has been suggested that when the fire destroyed everything in the factory in 2006, it also destroyed the molds for all the models. Since they would be required to remanufacture the molds, Scamp decided to add some interior height to the Scamp trailers. However, that would suggest that everything before 2006 had an interior height of 5'10" and after 2006 had an interior height of 6'1".

This is deal breaker for me/us. I am 6'3" and while I would be willing to sustain the 6'1" limit, but the 5'10" is too much of a strain on my already shrinking physiology. Maybe if I wait about 10-12 years and I've shrunk a lot more, I'd fit.

I've texted the current owner asking that they measure the interior height but I'm afraid that my road trip to Michigan has been cancelled. We'll see...

Anyone care to substantiate the interior head room dimension?
Old 11-18-2015, 02:57 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Don't have one to measure, but...

My understanding is that only the 13'er grew after the fire, and that the 16'ers have always been about 6'1" or 6'2". In fact, I read somewhere that they used a cut-down 16'er to create the plug for the new 13' molds after the fire.

Hopefully one of our Scamp experts will chime in to confirm or correct.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #19

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Don't have one to measure, but...

My understanding is that only the 13'er grew after the fire, and that the 16'ers have always been about 6'1" or 6'2". In fact, I read somewhere that they used a cut-down 16'er to create the plug for the new 13' molds after the fire.

Hopefully one of our Scamp experts will chime in to confirm or correct.
I hope you're right. I really want this buy to work out for us.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:53 PM   #20

Name: James
Trailer: Quicksilver 10.0 tent camper
Alabama
I have nothing to contribute except a shout out from Georgetown, KY.

Also, I've been lurking on this site learning what I can about these style campers. I'm very tempted to go this route myself. I have a Livin Lite Quicksilver tent camper that my family of four uses right now. It's great, but there are times during lightning storms I wished I had some solid walls around me. Any of you KY folks that would like to show off your camper give me a shout out. My wife wants to check one out.
Anyways, good luck camper shopping!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kybrowns is offline   Reply With Quote