Hello from Charlevoix, MI - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2017, 06:00 PM   #1

Name: William
Trailer: in the market
MI - Michigan
Hello from Charlevoix, MI

Hello,

I am new to this forum and fiberglass campers, but I've owned a few motorhomes over the years. Right now I don't have an RV, but my son and I are interested in the small fiberglass molded designs and like the ease of towing and storage. My wife is less enthused. Regardless, the designs are really ingenious and I truly enjoy learning more about each model - and past models too.

Thank you for allowing me to join.

-William (Charlevoixboy)
charlevoixboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:53 PM   #2

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Welcome, lot's of good information here, and a lot of different campers -- all in the fiberglass family. Hope you enjoy your camper when it happens...
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:55 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, William!

May be tough getting your wife to downsize from a motorhome, but I hear you about the advantages of a smaller, lightweight trailer with a molded shell.

There are some larger molded options- at least they're large by standards here; they are still relatively compact compared to large Class A's. Check out offerings from Escape, Bigfoot, and Oliver.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:58 AM   #4

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I have an Escape 19 which you're welcome to come and look at.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:15 AM   #5

Name: Clay and Cait
Trailer: Escape 5.0
Florida
Hi William! We full time in our Escape 5.0 and passed through Charlevoix a month ago. What a charming town, we loved being there! Could have watched boats go in and out to Lake Michigan all day long.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
You live in a motorhome, but you live out of a molded fiberglass trailer. -Trite but true.

Check out screened rooms like CLAM shelters as an inexpensive way to add square footage. They are quick set up and among the best.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Charlevoix is my dream destination! We just never plan ahead far enough to find a spot.
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:13 PM   #8

Name: William
Trailer: in the market
MI - Michigan
Thank you. It is a process, but as our kids graduate from college (one to go!) we will again be looking at smaller campers. I just absolutely love the fiberglass design and durability.
charlevoixboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Welcome William! Another Michigander here. We live near Port Huron, MI. We're in between trailers. Just sold our Scamp 13 and will be going to Backus, MN to pick up our new 16 in October. If you want to see how they are made and learn a little about Scamps; they offer tours. I believe it's the closest FG Mfr to you, about a 600 mile trip thru the U.P. and northern WI. For a quick reference, if you draw a line from Duluth to Fargo, it's about half way. Recommend going before the snow flies, but we don't have to tell you that!

Another opportunity to see many different makes and models will be at the Algonac Glassic Egg Scramble Rally right here in MI. on Sep 8-10.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ble-78270.html
Not only will you see the trailers, but you'll meet some really nice people that love to show off their trailers and answer all your questions. It's hosted by Pam Garlow, one of our forum moderators, and well attended. We will miss it this year because we won't have our trailer yet, but plan to stop by and say hi to all.

Have fun learning about all the different brand trailers. I really don't think you can choose a bad one. Each make has it's followers and maybe a few detractors, but there's one out there somewhere that will be perfect for you. You'd be surprised how many people come from a motorhome background, BTW. We've had a few people camping in MH's and huge 5th wheels make comments like "We had a small trailer like that. That's when camping was fun!"

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote