Hello from Chicagoland - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-29-2016, 08:29 PM   #1

Name: Ace
Trailer: 16' Casita 13' Scamp and Teardrop
Chicagoland
Hello from Chicagoland

Hi Gene & Gayle here
After 7 years of Teardropping exclusively we have decided to step up to the occasional use of a standy. We have purchased a 1979 13' Scamp. It had been in storage for15 years and is in good condition. I do have to work on the 12-volt system, recaulk some windows, replace some rivets and buttons- all the normal things that may be needed to be done on a 37-year-old Scamp.

Was in Bakus this week replacing the axel and switching to 5 lug wheels. Now need a small step platform when entering trailer. I enjoyed taking the factory tour and all personnel I spoke to were exceptionally friendly. They did not hesitate to answer my many questions concerning my new/old purchase and Scamps in general. (was told the name of the man who might have installed the original axel)

I look forward to working on and,while not giving up the teardrop, enjoying a new experience of camping in a trailer that one can stand up in. I will be relying heavily on the expertise and kindness of all forum members on this site as I bring my Scamp into the modern era.
aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:00 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to FGRV Ace. You probably already know this but use butyl tape for resealing your windows, not caulk. Caulk is a bad word in the molded trailer world.......you'll get yelled at .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:51 PM   #3

Name: Ace
Trailer: 16' Casita 13' Scamp and Teardrop
Chicagoland
Thank you for that information Dave. Learning from this forum already.
aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:49 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Welcome Aceman

I am a tear jerker and new an "ACE" that went on the tears across the U.P. in 2013.

I too had bounced from a Scamp 16 to a ...tear drop ...to another tear drop....to a Scamp 13...to a tear drop...and now have our 13 Scamp Deluxe.

I think you'll be happy in that you won't have to put up any tents....or put you pants on lying down

There are a wealth of resources here, sounds like you have a great start with a new axle.

Floyd lives in Ill. and is a pretty handy guy and has a boat load of knowledge regarding Scamps. I am sure he will be willing to help if you have any questions.

Welcome aboard....and remember WE LIKE PICTURES

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:05 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Hi Gene; here's what I did for a entry step. Measures 18" X 20", when traveling I put it upside down inside the door of either our Uhaul 13 or Casita 17. I then put my fire extinguisher, front stabilizers, rear stabilizer handle, wheel chocks, and a couple boards in it. We also still have our 1946 teardrop and use it occasionally.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0305.jpg   IMG_0304.jpg  

mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:21 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I was actually a little surprised that you need an entry step after an axle replacement at Scamp. I have a newer Scamp 13 and the axle they used in 2008 does not require a step. Brand new ones look about the same, though they recently switched to a different axle supplier.

Did they install the standard axle from the current 13'ers? Did they do anything special in the mounting?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote