Hello, from Flint, Michigan - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-07-2015, 09:46 AM   #29

Name: Jacob
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Bob, Thanks for the information in inverters. Ours must be older, but it sounds like a fan is really running -- it sounds like it's working fine, but just a good hum. I'm not going to try and work on it. That's not my thing, but we tend to do more rustic camping anyway, so I'm not sure it's something we'll use much.

The previous owner had installed an electric mini-fridge. Someday in the future I may remove that and put in an ice box or maybe a 3-way if that's the way we decide to go, but it's low on my project list by a few years and some experience with the camper to see what we want/need.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #30

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
The leading arm axle is welded into the 90* corner made by the rear floor rising. The welds run along the horizontal frame AND vertically where the frame goes up for the "dance floor" of the dinette/bed.

To get a trailing arm you have to find a location in front of wheel well where arm will reach back and put the wheel in exactly the same place. Plus (important!) do something to replace the structural strength the welded bracket added to that 90 degree joint and axle tube provided to the rear of the frame. One advantage of the torsion axle over leaf spring is the torsion axle tube is a structural part of the frame.

Don't get me wrong, people do make this switch. There are threads by folks that have done it. It is just not a trivial change and you need someone that is good and will do careful work.

Airstream and Scamp used leading arm, not sure why but I think leading arm and torsion axle was considered a superior suspension to leaf spring suspension typical of campers back then and still the more typical axle today.

At some point in time trailing arm became more common and now is the typical orientation of torsion axles. Dexter axle you just turn around and swap the brakes to the opposite side to turn a trailing to a leading BUT your guy has to reverse the dimensions when ordering AND the bracket may need to be reversed or cut to fit.

I'll try to find a picture but the rear of the scamp axle bracket is Flat to fit into that riser corner AND the bracket offset from the axle tube is a bit different. Projects further one way than the other and not sure it is the "common" direction.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:37 AM   #31

Michigan
Nope not the common direction of offset. Normally the bracket runs along the frame to a point behind the spindle. Makes sense the spindle is where the stress is. The other end of the bracket is shorter.

Not Scamp since it has that corner in the frame it welds to this allows (and requires) the bracket is actually shorter in the direction of the wheel spindle. Also note the plate which is required for brakes.

You might want to check out the pictures before and after this one in the album.
Good shot of the underside and some more of the axle including a nice shot of the square shaft coming through the arm.
Fiberglass RV - RogerDat's Album: Refurbish
Old 08-07-2015, 12:11 PM   #32

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I had a 120V dorm fridge in the Burro, a few years back. It would not hold a decent coolness while off; about 3-4 hours was all it took to get warm inside. One could try running it on an inverter while traveling, but that could be hard on the battery. A better way to go for camping trips up north would be to freeze some water (a gallon jug or a few small bottles of drinking water) ahead of time and put it in the fridge with your perishables just before departure. It won't help on the way home, but it will get you to the campground where you can plug into shore power.

I had to put a strip of velcro across that fridge door to keep it from coming open during travel. Stuff inside moves around and bangs the door open, unless it has a very good latch or closure.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:19 PM   #33

Michigan
Little expanding white metal round curtain rods to pin the contents into the fridge can help keep the food in place. Rubber feet on both ends, spring loaded, generally can be screwed out to size.

We used to freeze blue ice packs in the freezer and they could keep the fridge cool for the day of travel. We had a propane fridge but would turn off while traveling. Over night they would generally refreeze for the next day.

The nice thing about the frozen water jug in a cooler is the supply of fresh water when it melts.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:15 PM   #34

Michigan
The curtain rods are a nice idea. I figured I'd need to secure the fridge closed for travel if we load it. There is no velcro or other closure.

And the water jug is a good idea. I had imagined those frozen ice packs, but the water would be handy and lighter on the return trip.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:59 AM   #35

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Hey Jacob, weldome to the FG world! I'm down south of you in Fenton
There's a group of us getting together at Algonac state park on the weekend after Labor day if you want to join us. Here's a link to the event.
Nothing crazy, just a friendly camp out. Saturday night potluck, Friday night hot dogs and uke jam fest
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ble-67391.html
Old 08-12-2015, 10:42 AM   #36

Michigan
Algonac Rally! How did I forget to mention that!

Look at the top handle side of the fridge door. Or maybe the bottom of the handle side. Some RV type fridges use a plate with a hole for a latch. You drop a pin through the plate and it goes into a recess in the fridge door.

There are a couple of different RV refrigerator travel latches about 1/2 down this page. Including a drop pin style and a plastic one also available from camping world. Don't know how that one works.
Some rods and holders to secure stuff below that.
Refrigerator accessories
Old 08-12-2015, 10:08 PM   #37

Michigan
I'd really like to make it to the Algonac Rally, but I think we already have plans that weekend. I'll have to check, and if so, look make plans for the Rally next year.

And thanks for the refrigerator link. That will be helpful.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:25 PM   #38

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 Layout 7
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlintBound View Post
emij, I thought that was what the power inverter did. It's just a bit loud, but I guess if we had something we really needed to run that took juice, it's nice to have. Does your inverter make a relatively loud hum?

Yes, I'm excited to extend the season a bit. I don't mind the cold, but my wife doesn't love it quite as much as I do.
I wanted to let you know that we used our inverter while we were travelling last month. We charged both of the kids HD Nook Tablets, a total of about 12 hours charging to do both. I didn't notice any noise coming from it at all and the battery seemed to still be charged enough for us to use it for the remainder of our trip, so not really sure how much power it uses! Hope you are enjoying your camper!