Hello from Fort Collins - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-02-2016, 10:17 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
Hello from Fort Collins

Newbie Tom here...I have been a backpacker and tent-camper all my life and am new to the world of trailer camping. I had a pop-up for a very short time some 20 years ago. I am interested in buying a small fiberglass trailer that I can easily tow with my '02 Tacoma 3.4L. I am having a bit of a time getting my head around all of the different trailers out there. Also find challenging gleaning through all of the information on this site. So...does anyone know of a good "fiberglass RV magazine" that might help get a guy launched in the right direction? Thanks for your help!
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Tom
Ive easily towed a scamp 13'
And currently towing a 17' casitas with my toyota 6 cyl tacoma prerunner( it does have factory tow pkg... However it is the 4.0 l engine
You might want to try and attend s fiberglass rally... A great way to see many models of trailers and talk with folks regarding towing
Last summer we visited the weiscraft trailer mfg near Denver ( when we visited our son & daughter in law
It is one my last as a favorite
Good luck in your search
Once you narrow down your trailer
Try
Searchtempest... It will search all craigslist ads ... Just be aware if the "sounds to good" alot of scams out there.... Also down load the buyers checklist from the document center
And be ready to pull the trigger as these don't stay on the selling block very long

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:13 PM   #3

Colorado
Thank you, Alan for the info. I've heard that 4.0 is a real powerhouse...my 3.4 not so much, but I'm sure it will get the job done. It seems to have a tow rating of 5,000 so I'm sure I can handle most of what's out there.

I found the Oliver in the current issue of Trailer Life. Looks very nice! I will look into Weiscraft. I never heard of them...are they fibergalss? I would love to buy local if at all possible. Does anyone out there know which brands are sold through dealers vs. sold factory direct? We have a number of RV dealers nearby, but I've not seen fiberglass trailers advertised.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #4

I m not 100% on this but I don't think many if the fiberglass rv are sold thru dealership
The scamps are made in backus mn
And the casitas in rice tx
You might contact them and might ask for referrals

Old 04-02-2016, 01:36 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
These are made in your home state
Lightweight Trailers - Compact Travel Campers - Weiscraft Trailers
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:35 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
[QUOTE=alan H;579191]Tom

You might want to try and attend a fiberglass rally... A great way to see many models of trailers and talk with folks regarding towing

Myself and 2 other Scamp owners on the front range are hosting a Fiberglass Egg Rally, The Rocky Mountain Egg Rendezvous, 18 miles North of Durango, July 24th to the 29th if you are interested in driving that far to look at some Eggs. Or, if you find a trailer before then bring it on down. It's on the calendar and rally map.
You can see more information here:
https://sites.google.com/site/rockym...eggrendezvous/
Thom Rowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:45 AM   #7

Colorado
Thanks for the heads up on that Durango Rally, Thom. Doubt I can get down there then, but I will keep an eye out for something in N. Co., or even S. Wy.

And Ken, I appreciate the link. I didn't know Weiscraft made the Little Joe and Ponderosa. They look a bit on the small side, but I would sure love to buy local so may try to check them out some day.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:36 AM   #8

Tom
When we visited weiscraft we called in advance( their suggest) as it is a pretty small operation... In fact i think they had us call as they have no showroom and I believe all trailers are made on an order basis
But still a fun trailer to check out
About same size as most 13' trailer except you sleep length wise rather than width

Old 04-04-2016, 07:50 AM   #9

Tom
I m not sure what you're looking for but i just spotted 2 different casitas in Colorado springs area.... Both are listed in the marketplace "for sale "
Section

I have no connection to either

Old 04-04-2016, 08:14 AM   #10

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We are in the Denver Metro area and have a 13 foot Scamp that you are welcome to see sometime if you'd like to just get a feel for what it looks like. Also, this link is the Scamp website and you can see their floor plans:
Showroom - Scamp Trailers

And even though we already have our little camper, I still like to look at all of the different fiberglass campers that come up for sale at this link:
Molded Fiberglass Trailer Ads - US | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Welcome! And hopefully you'll soon find what you are looking for!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:39 AM   #11

Name: larry
Trailer: Casita, but in the market for a bigfoot
Colorado
Casita in Lakewood

[QUOTE=TomandCallie;579301]Thanks for the heads up on that Durango Rally, Thom. Doubt I can get down there then, but I will keep an eye out for something in N. Co., or even S. Wy.

Tom and Callie,

We will be selling our 2014 Caista at the end of July. You are welcome to come down and look it over whether you decide on a Casita or not.

Larry
larryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #12

Colorado
I had the good luck to get to see a '14 Scamp 16ft. yesterday about a mile from my house. Great to see and a big "thank you" to Morgan for showing me his trailer and answering my dumb questions!

Alan, Em, Larry...thank you all for the leads. I'm not ready to buy yet as I have to build a place in my yard which would be good to park a trailer. I would guess a purchase is at least a year out. I have a lot of homework to do. Would like to see the Casita, Nest, Happier Camper, and Oliver. No idea how I'll ever see some of these unless I strike out on a long road trip. I just saw that Nest was bought by Airstream...that could be a very interesting alliance!
Old 04-04-2016, 10:09 AM   #13

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post

Yeah, I'd check these guys out. They are about an hour away from you. Also, since you are so close to the builder, you likely have a better chance than most to find a good used Little Joe.

The Little Joe is one of the smallest out there, but well laid out for 2 people.

I tow mine with a '14 Subaru Outback 2.5i with the CVT transmission.

1760 lbs loaded ready to go with a 170-180 tongue weight.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:59 AM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Yeah, I'd check these guys out. They are about an hour away from you. Also, since you are so close to the builder, you likely have a better chance than most to find a good used Little Joe.

The Little Joe is one of the smallest out there, but well laid out for 2 people.
I tow mine with a '14 Subaru Outback 2.5i with the CVT transmission.
1760 lbs loaded ready to go with a 170-180 tongue weight.
FYI, The weight quoted above for Little Joe is comparative to other small molded 13 footers (Scamp, Boler, UHaul).
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote