HELLO from GOSHEN, NY! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #15

Name: Mary
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Maine
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Seligman View Post
I was thinking for space but after hearing from all of you folks...you are all quite correct in keeping the stove top as I will not be able to afford full hook ups until I find my 'magical' spots where I can reside affordably with electric, water, & Wi-FI. And don't you love Seattle? I lived there for about five years when I was married & I can't think of a better climate for winter & summer to be in an RV.
Thank You so much for your advice!
Greg
Yeah I do love Seattle, but it got really expensive to live there. I moved there in the pre-Microsoft days, when it was just Boeing and still had kind of an outback, frontier sort of feel. I still think it's one of the most beautiful places to live IF you can afford it. I plan on heading there as soon as my house sells - any thoughts on places to "park" around there? It's been a good 20 years since I've spent time there. Anyway - best of luck and ride the momentum when you have it!

Brandegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #16

Name: Scamp 13'
Trailer: Scamp 13' Searcher
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandegor View Post
Hey Greg - when I read your story I thought I was reading my own, except I've only had one hip replacement & it's still good so far! And I drive an Outback, not a Forester. I am in the same situation as you, living on disability income, about a heartbeat from going into foreclosure and in need of a new home - a Scamp 13'. I started looking even though I didn't have the money, and made a conscious effort to stay positive and hopeful, and visualize my new life. You know how hard that can be, and it might sound trite, but it's true. I found my 1981 Scamp in Syracuse and towed it back to Maine - first time I've ever towed anything in my life, and it couldn't have been easier. Like you, I thought I wanted a toilet and shower, but after looking at a Casita with one, I realized how precious the room is, and opted for a porta john, since there are always options for showering. Do you not want the stove because of propane, or because of the space? Like the other folks said, you don't gain any room by taking it out - it's just the cooktop.
Hang in there, Greg - you WILL find your Scamp, and be able to live the dream. Maybe I'll see you in Seattle some year - I lived there for 25 years!
Mary,
I wanted to say, "Thank You". You really give me hope. It's impossible for me to pay the bills of a full sized home, having the grass cut, etc. I am utterly destitute even w/o paying the mortgage. Too much of my money goes to my medical care, it's a real sin. That's why the Scamp 13' is my only answer. It is all I think of. I am 100% focused on getting the Subaru readied with the correct hitch, a solid transmission cooler, tupper ware to store things. A wheel lock for the Scamp itself when I want to unhitch & take a ferry into Seattle. I used to live on Bainbridge Island & plan on finding somewhere near there again.
Thank you for the positive vibes, I'll take all I can get right now. You obviously understand what I'm going through.
Thanks,
Greg

Old 09-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #17

Name: Mary
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Maine
Registry
You are quite welcome. I've found that by doing little things like buying tupperware helps a lot - keeps the energy going and makes it more real. You'll get there.
Brandegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #18

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hi Greg, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

I agree with all the comments you've been given. Propane, whether a stove, refrigerator, furnace or hotwater heater gives you options. No one says you ever have to use propane.. but, you'd have it available.

I live in the Pacific NorthWET and although our weather is reasonably mild compared to parts of the US, it can get cold and we know it's WET so I think you're smart to want an all molded towable.

Best of luck
Hi Donna,
Thank you very much for the hearty welcome! I have read many of your posts over the last year as I have been slowly planning for this. You have an incredible wealth of knowledge regarding all of this so any advice you give me will be heeded ten-fold! Just so you know that.
People call me smart. I don't think I am, I just figure why re-invent the wheel? If someone like you is out there & is a veritable encyclopedia of knowledge regarding FG Trailers...I'd be a fool not to take advantage of your gained experience! I honestly look forward to any advice you have for me in the future, & I guarantee I will need it.
Thank you again for the welcome, that was very sweet.
Greg
Old 09-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #19

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
You're welcome Greg. You really want some advice? Stay OUT of Seattle... truly. It is expensive and traffic has turned into a flippin' nightmare.

I would imagine being close to healthcare facilities will be important. You may want to consider closer to Olympia or even south of that. Or west toward Aberdeen or maybe even east a bit. After you get your trailer, consider too living in an RV park. I know around the PDX area there are several that are less than $400 a month. That includes some utilities, but it's nice to have laundry facilities right in the park, etc. Just food for thought.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #20

New York
Quote:
Yeah I do love Seattle, but it got really expensive to live there. I moved there in the pre-Microsoft days, when it was just Boeing and still had kind of an outback, frontier sort of feel. I still think it's one of the most beautiful places to live IF you can afford it. I plan on heading there as soon as my house sells - any thoughts on places to "park" around there? It's been a good 20 years since I've spent time there. Anyway - best of luck and ride the momentum when you have it!
I would look towards 'the other side' of Seattle. Meaning the Ferry ride to Bainbridge Island & from there you have everything West of Seattle; the entire Olympic Peninsula. It is incredibly beautiful, full of camping & RV sites, Parks & Boon-Docking abound. Towns to visit would be Port Townsend, Port Angeles, & out to Forks where they filmed that silly Twilight vampire junk. It is remote & beautiful beyond words. From Port Angeles you can take Ferrys to the San Juan Islands which are remote beyond belief, beautiful & I'm sure cheaper than anything to camp. I camped there many times when I was younger & I cannot think of better places to 'escape' than there & affordably & beautifully. And if you want to stop in a restaurant for an unbelievable meal. It's right there, as well as Bigfoot too!
Old 09-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #21

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You're welcome Greg. You really want some advice? Stay OUT of Seattle... truly. It is expensive and traffic has turned into a flippin' nightmare.

I would imagine being close to healthcare facilities will be important. You may want to consider closer to Olympia or even south of that. Or west toward Aberdeen or maybe even east a bit. After you get your trailer, consider too living in an RV park. I know around the PDX area there are several that are less than $400 a month. That includes some utilities, but it's nice to have laundry facilities right in the park, etc. Just food for thought.
Absolutely Donna. I plan on finding an affordable RV park or two to call 'home' & as I used to live on the Olympic Peninsula, not as far out as Aberdeen, I plan to try & find something in the Port Townsend area or something like that.
Certainly not on the Seattle side. I left Seattle in '94 & it was expensive & traffic riddled even then. I would only want to live on the other side, as I call it, anyway. Medical care is unfortunately paramount for me. If it weren't I my choices would be more varied for sure.
Thank you, your knowledge of the NW is also helpful to me! I give you a big hug from 3,000 miles away.
Thanks again,
Greg
Old 09-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #22

New York
Quote:
You are quite welcome. I've found that by doing little things like buying tupperware helps a lot - keeps the energy going and makes it more real. You'll get there.
SO TRUE! It's a very nice feeling to be understood, thank you for that.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #23

Name: Jay
Trailer: former class c now an egg hunter
New York
Hello Greg,

Best wishes on your journey.

We moved from the West Coast to the East Coast 3 1/2 years ago. My better half dealt with a career ending injury and spent years trying to find relief from the pain. She ended up having nerve blocks and is doing considerably better. However...living on the West coast was damp which intensified the pain. She was miserable for 10 years. The East coast is not damp... -20 degrees doesn't equal pain.

I mention this to give you a heads up on places where damp/rain weather may be prevalent.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #24

New York
Thank you for that input. It is certainly a worthy consideration. I just feel there are so many more things I can do there as opposed to the East Coast. One of the wonderful things about an Eggshell is if the climate doesn't suite bones, I can always find somewhere that does.
Thank You for taking an interest in my journey, it is very much appreciated.
Greg
Old 09-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #25

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Greg, while you're plotting and planning and looking to your future.... here's an RV park for your consideration. It's half-way between Olympia and Aberdeen. I've never stayed in it, but go by it once a year. Elma RV Park I'm sure when the time happens, you'll be exactly where you need/want to be.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #26

New York
Thank you Donna. I just made sure to Bookmark it for future reference after I gave it a good look. What fantastic rates for all the amenities! And centrally located if I find something closer to where I wanted to wind up. Thank you very much for that, one never knows but that might very well be a lifesaver for me in the future.
As I was in sales for a living, I drove the Olympic Peninsula for a territory. I lived in Indianola actually if you know where that is. So small towns like Elma, Aberdeen & Shelton were daily drives for me for years. So although I say Seattle, I really mean a ferry ride away as I have always planned on looking for somewhere on the Kitsap Peninsula or out to Port Townsend area. All such beautiful choices. I have missed the NW since I left.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #27

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2000 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe...Tow vehicle 2015 Toyota Tacoma Dble Cab V6 Prerunner
California
welcome, I'm originally from a small town very near to Goshen...."Deposit N.Y.' you may have heard of it. My wife & I now reside in So. Calif & just returned from Seattle. Beside the classifieds in this forum you might want to look at "Fiberglass rv's for Sale " I believe i just saw a trailer on Oneota ny (not sure of the make or the layout)...also saw something in Vt....i wouldn't limit myself to a scamp....look at some of the others as well....good luck in your search.....if I can be of any help PM me....a former neighbor
Old 09-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #28

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Greg, are you near Copake, NY? There is a fiberglass egg camper rally there the first weekend of Oct. You could see and tour a variety of eggs like Burro, Sunliner, Scamp, Parkliner, Casita, etc. Physically visiting and sitting in these campers will help you with your planning. Some may be easier to get in and out of for you, for example, and you cannot determine that from pix alone. I'm going as I have not bought anything yet and want to see them myself.

If you go here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...a-58837-5.html and then read post #66, you will see a list of the current attendees and their rigs.

Rosemary