Hello from Henderson Nevada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2017, 01:18 PM   #1

Name: Katheryn
Trailer: In the market
Nevada
Hello from Henderson Nevada

Hi: This is Kazmar and Ray
We are looking to purchase a "Fiberglass travel trailer". We have been to several RV dealerships as well as RV Expos only to walk away disenchanted by the quality of the RVs that are on the market today. It was around the first of the year, Ray and I noticed a truck pulling a Casita travel trailer and immediately fell in love. As soon as we got home, we jumped on the "information Highway" and started researching. Oh! My! There so many to chose from. With that said, I chose to become a member of the " Fiberglass RV" community today with the hopes of a better understanding (pros & Cons) when it comes to buying one of these wonderful travel trailers.
I'm also looking forward to meeting either on the forum or throughout our travels with the other members that joined this community as well.
Kazmar Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Oliver Travel Trailer
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmar Rose View Post
We are looking to purchase a "Fiberglass travel trailer". We have been to several RV dealerships as well as RV Expos only to walk away disenchanted by the quality of the RVs that are on the market today. It was around the first of the year, Ray and I noticed a truck pulling a Casita travel trailer and immediately fell in love. As soon as we got home, we jumped on the "information Highway" and started researching. Oh! My! There so many to chose from. With that said, I chose to become a member of the " Fiberglass RV" community today with the hopes of a better understanding (pros & Cons) when it comes to buying one of these wonderful travel trailers.
I'm also looking forward to meeting either on the forum or throughout our travels with the other members that joined this community as well.
Welcome. My wife and I are newbies too. Also looking for the right travel trailer. I will be watching your progress and hope to learn something from the questions you ask and the answers you get. Thanks.
roguebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:27 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Kazmar and Ray!

Lots of different molded fiberglass options- new, used, and vintage. Casita is one of the most popular and common, but there are others worth considering. They are not immune to the quality issues of RVs in general, but the molded shell is a big advantage.

For the most part they are much more compact that the typical trailer on the RV lot. Great for towing, but it entails some livability compromises (wet baths, small beds, limited headroom, depending on the model) that may or may not work for you. It's good to get a first-hand look. Since most molded trailers are sold factory-direct, you won't find them on dealer lots. If you're thinking of buying new, many manufacturers have a referral program in which they set you up with a nearby owner for a demo. Another option is to visit a fiberglass egg rally. Some even have "open house" time. Contact event coordinators for information and advice.

If you already have a vehicle you intend to tow with, that would be a starting point, based on what it's rated to tow. When it comes to the trailer, don't rely on manufacturers' dry weights. In many cases the final loaded weight will be closer to the GVWR than the dry weight. The thread Trailer Weights in the Real World has actual loaded weights of various makes and models. Post #297 links to a spreadsheet.

In addition, consider your needs and the kinds of travel you plan. The classified ads here and at www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com will give you some idea of what's available and what it might cost.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:02 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmar Rose View Post
Trailer choice and camping style seem to go hand in hand. Therefore it's important to you that determine how and where you want to camp. Questions like hookups are necessary or boondocking (no hookups) are just fine. Using a campground rest room, or must have on board potty. The list is long varied. Do you tent camp or not camp at all? Then make a decision based on what you want or think you want.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:54 PM   #5
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Welcome Kazmar and Ray!

Once I realized that my rig had to be fiberglass, I researched for about a year before I purchased my fiberbabe in March. After searching for months I realized that there were differences in all of them so I made an excel sheet with my "must haves". That helped me quickly narrow it down so I could then focus on the brand/brands that had all or most of my "must haves".

Keep in mind that I am probably more pickier than anyone, ever!

Here are some of the items I explored on my excel sheet: tire size (13, 14 or 15?), regular and off road axles (am I likely to want to drive my rig off road or will I be staying mostly on paved roads?), length (how long would I be comfortable towing?), height inside (how tall is my tallest family member?), wheels on the outside vs wheels on the inside of the body, width of the trailer, (how wide would I be comfortable towing and do I want to be able to tow without mirror extender to see on the side of the rig or would I mind getting mirror extenders?), insulation or no insulation (am I likely to be camping where it is cold or cooler weather?), fiberglass walls or rat fur (probably a personal decision).

From the list of differences I was then able to come up with what was most important for me. I guess you can say I approached it scientifically but I had to do this because for me, there were too many choices to choose from!

Best of luck! You are in the right place to ask questions and soak up lots of knowledge!
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:39 AM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...ulSe73Ck7BOxWg

If you go to the Search engine at the top of this page, and go to the bottom space on the drop-down, if you type in "Buyer's checklist" you can find the FGRV buyer's checklist for things to look for and watch out for.

I think that's the shortcut link to it above...

Do your best to find that if you're considering a used rig. The older the trailer, the more important going down each item on that list can be.

Agreed with above postings--you're in the right place to ask plenty of questions and soak up knowledge right here on FGRV!

BEST of luck with your hunt, and happy trails after!

Kai in Seattle
(Kathleen near Renton, WA)
Old 08-10-2017, 08:24 PM   #7

Nevada
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebooks View Post
Welcome. My wife and I are newbies too. Also looking for the right travel trailer. I will be watching your progress and hope to learn something from the questions you ask and the answers you get. Thanks.
Hi: Thanks for the welcome!
I have been doing a lot of research and my husband thinks I'm obsessed with anything fiberglass. But it is very easy to "back petal", give in, buy new or used "stick trailer" and hit the road tomorrow. But I know in my heart, we will be disappointed of making that choice. My husband gets discouraged because the length of time the F/T is being built, the distance to pick it up after it is completed. (TX, SC, & BC) and used F/T that we are interested in are not available or are jumped on before I can click the reply button. But looking at my "list of wants" & don't wants" redirects me back to reality and "I stick to my guns". I'm determined to see this through. It will happen! Just need to be patient and positive!
Old 08-10-2017, 08:53 PM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I highly recommend visiting a rally in your area and touring as many brands as you can. It was at the Cherokee rally a couple of years ago where we saw our first Escape trailer. At that point, we knew what we wanted. Took a while, but we found one.

Yes, you really do have to be prepared to pounce when you see one. They don't last long! We bought both of ours on the first day they were for sale, and the one we sold went in four hours....

And if you tie in a rally with a road trip, it doesn't have to be nearby. We went to the Maryhill, WA rally earlier this year and will be going to the one in Kansas next month. Neither is anywhere near local to North Carolina, but both fit into trip routing.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #9

Nevada
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Welcome, Kazmar and Ray!

Lots of different molded fiberglass options- new, used, and vintage. Casita is one of the most popular and common, but there are others worth considering. They are not immune to the quality issues of RVs in general, but the molded shell is a big advantage.

For the most part they are much more compact that the typical trailer on the RV lot. Great for towing, but it entails some livability compromises (wet baths, small beds, limited headroom, depending on the model) that may or may not work for you. It's good to get a first-hand look. Since most molded trailers are sold factory-direct, you won't find them on dealer lots. If you're thinking of buying new, many manufacturers have a referral program in which they set you up with a nearby owner for a demo. Another option is to visit a fiberglass egg rally. Some even have "open house" time. Contact event coordinators for information and advice.

If you already have a vehicle you intend to tow with, that would be a starting point, based on what it's rated to tow. When it comes to the trailer, don't rely on manufacturers' dry weights. In many cases the final loaded weight will be closer to the GVWR than the dry weight. The thread Trailer Weights in the Real World has actual loaded weights of various makes and models. Post #297 links to a spreadsheet.

In addition, consider your needs and the kinds of travel you plan. The classified ads here and at www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com will give you some idea of what's available and what it might cost.

Best wishes!
HI: Ray and I are interested in either the "Casita Independence Deluxe 17", The "Escape 19" or the LIL Snoozy. We love the option of twin beds or the floor plan with a bed & dinette booth or the couch . As one member had stated that climbing over each other gets a little old. We agree! One of our concerns is that Ray is 6'2 so we have to take that in consideration.

A bathroom is on the top of our list. When we were newly married, our first TT was a "Cardinal 13ft". (With no bathroom.) We traveled 4 months up-down the west coast. It was one of our favorite memories. But that being 34 years ago, things have changed!

I contacted Escape industries, and Casita Enterprises & they have sent us referrals in our area which is a big plus! Once we are accepted and given a tour, We'll be able to determine if either one will work for us. As for the "Lil Snoozy" there isn't any in our "neck of the woods" to view. So we are planning on attending the "Fiberglass Rally" February 2018 in Quartzsite AZ. with the hopes of being able to spot one there!

Tow vehicle: We own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma with the tow package but might consider purchasing an med-size SUV for more storage.

There is so much advice, information, and suggestions from the members, I'm sure with all your help we will be heading in the right direction!
Kazmar
Old 08-10-2017, 09:23 PM   #10

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...ulSe73Ck7BOxWg

If you go to the Search engine at the top of this page, and go to the bottom space on the drop-down, if you type in "Buyer's checklist" you can find the FGRV buyer's checklist for things to look for and watch out for.

I think that's the shortcut link to it above...

Do your best to find that if you're considering a used rig. The older the trailer, the more important going down each item on that list can be.

Agreed with above postings--you're in the right place to ask plenty of questions and soak up knowledge right here on FGRV!

BEST of luck with your hunt, and happy trails after!

Kai in Seattle
(Kathleen near Renton, WA)
Thanks so much, Kazmar
Old 08-10-2017, 09:26 PM   #11

Nevada
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Trailer choice and camping style seem to go hand in hand. Therefore it's important to you that determine how and where you want to camp. Questions like hookups are necessary or boondocking (no hookups) are just fine. Using a campground rest room, or must have on board potty. The list is long varied. Do you tent camp or not camp at all? Then make a decision based on what you want or think you want.
We are fine with hook-ups, campground restrooms, and boondocking especially. Plan on getting a "solar Panel" set-up as well.
Kazmar
Old 08-11-2017, 06:31 PM   #12

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Welcome aboard! I lurked on general RV boards for 12 YEARS before deciding on my FGTT. I went thru the Aspen Motorcycle PopUP stage, the Teardrop Stage, the Van Camper stage, the RPOD stage...as needs changed over time. I'm a former backpacker and took my Boy Scout troop 4 times to the Northern Tier High Adventure Canoe Base in BWCA, NW Ontario, and Bisset Manitoba (with a return to NW Ontario in 2006) .

My first decision to overcome the depression over chronic pain stopping my backpacking and car camping was to look at RV's- Used RVs, cause we weren't real flush right then. I went to You Tube to follow all the instructional videos on What to Look for I A Used RV and inside 2 hours that was off the table, noway was I going to risk the many, many problem areas delineated in those instructional videos.

Then I recalled having seen a Scamp where I was tent camping a few years back. And I remembered an add for Casitas. So I googled Scamp. This was one of the hits. Who knew there were so many FGTTs? I had NO idea!

I am really happy with my Lil Snoozy. We purchased a tow vehicle especially for it-a little overkill, rated for 7500lbs.. Snoozy is 2400 lbs dry weight as opposed to 1000 or so for the lightest Scamp, but it had everything we wanted plus a HUGE underbed storage space for a Cat Haven for our 4 rescue cats. My deal breaker was a permanent bed-no breaking the dinette up and down daily. I am sooo happy!

We returned from our monthlong vacation at the beginning of July and the tow vehicle suddenly wouldn't shift out of LOW. By the time we got it into the transmission shop it was again working perfectly and they found nothing wrong. Maybe it was just tired from the miles we drove??? S FL to Newfoundland is a long drive..
Please try calling the Snoozy factory to see if there are any owners close to you who would let you have a look at theirs. I know I love showing off my Snoozy and have shown it many ties to those as did not want to trek from S FL to SC just to eyeball one.