Old 12-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hello from Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Was this a new unit? If that is the quality of a new unit that manufacturer would go on my "Never Buy" list.

Some of the problems, like missing hardware, sound like Monday/Friday-type build issues. Unfortunate, but not uncommon in economy-level manufactured products. The use of rivets rather than SS bolts dates to the earliest FG trailers and has stood the test of time. The door fit and seal issue is the most serious one in the list, and I have heard of others with the same complaint. Use of a better quality gasket helps a lot, but Scamp should probably do some reengineering. Changing the seal was the first thing I did when I got mine. By many accounts their customer service is uneven.

Scamps have their pros and cons, and they may not be for you. If you want top-drawer quality and customer service in molded FG, Escape and Oliver come to mind, but be prepared to pay. Scamps have the lowest entry price point among FGRVs (though it can rise quickly with options) and lots of choices. In my opinion their strength is in the market for basic, simply-outfitted units. And the number of 20, 30, and 40 year-old units still in use testifies to the soundness of the overall design.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM Midway usa View Post

I was disappointed to find what I thought were stainless steel bolts holding the cabinets, etc, to the shell (acting as braces) are actually fancy aluminum pop rivits. And still think it could use more of them to make it more sturdy.
I wouldn't worry about the cabinet install. I have a 92 that has been thousands of miles and out hundreds of days in the seven years I have had it (not to mention the 15 years of use before I got it) and over some pretty rough roads. No cabinets have fallen down so far!

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #17

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2014 scamp 16
Kansas
Uplander, yes it was new. I was going to buy used, but after 2 months of searching decided you could buy a new one for just a few dollars more.

Jon, yes, the scamp is for me. I know trailer construction and it is basically a good and solid unit, which is why I bought it. I just couldn't believe they would let something leave the plant with all those "bugs". It was bitter cold when I picked it up, I was running a day late, and needed to get away ASAP. Had no occasion to open the door as it was in the shop being prepped when I first saw it. Didn't go through it with a fine tooth comb as I usually do when buying something. With the Scamp reputation, didn't think I needed to. Didn't notice the door latch until hitched, the Jeep running, and ready to leave, when the tech(?) pointed out how to shut the door. I didn't give it another thought at the time.

Carol H, Glad to hear the rivets hold up well. Yes, I would buy another Scamp. But believe they need to work on management style, and quality assurance. I got the feeling they were riding the wave of their reputation. (joke) I was somewhat apprehensive when an employee didn't know about Garrison Keeler, Lake Wobegone, and Prairie Home Companion.

I don't want to just bad mouth the people. I hope they will wake up, and take more pride in what they do. AND PLEASE---find a better door latch. Will attempt to attach some photos.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:37 PM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I think the Scamp is sort of like a Chevelle. They were nice cars in their day and they are still collected and driven today, but Scamp is still building their Chevelle, basically unchanged in design after all these decades. For just a little bit more money, new designs can be purchased from companies like Escape. JMO.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #19

Kansas
Mike, an excellent comparison! I thought I had attached some photos---don't know what happened.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:27 PM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Actually, I've always thought of them as the VW Beetles of the camping trailer world. Classic shape, simple design, spartan amenities, incremental change, easily repairable and infinitely customizable, still relevant after all these years.

We all know what happened to the Beetle when they tried to modernize it.

The door handle? Mine works fine, and I can walk into any hardware store in the country and replace it.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:22 PM   #21

Kansas
yes, the Beetle is a very good comparison. The door handle is working much better now, but I still catch my shirt sleeve on the striker plate protrusion as you go out the door.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:32 PM   #22

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Jim Midway USA, May I suggest you take the time to write a very strong letter to the CEO of the "Scamp" travel trailer company and let him know how you feel about his substandard quality....if you don't write who will????...include model number and serial number....list all your concerns....if it was my unit I would just to see how they handle complaints....love to hear their response...Hope you do and post their reply so we can all see how they deal with an upset consumer.

Good Luck and happy camping.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #23

Kansas
I did complain several months ago with a lengthy email, and eventually got a reply. Will see if I still have it. I also suggested they tighten up quality control, or predicted they would start losing business. I got the feeling they seldom dealt with people who have considerable RV experience. Since 1971 this is the 5th new unit we have purchased, and I will admit several have had some quality control issues. The old Jayco's were best quality, and a Forest River 5th wheel in 2005 was the worst.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:00 PM   #24

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Glad to hear you contacted the company...too often consumers vent to the dealers and never write to the company's headquarters. The quality varies from manufacturer to manufacturer in this industry. Considering these units will be bouncing down the highways of American and Canada the manufacturers might want to construct units that can survive the journey. Websites like these offer a chance for future buyers to get a grip on how actual owners view the products in real life use situations. Everything looks perfect in the showroom.