Hello from Kansas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-09-2014, 09:47 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2014 scamp 16
Kansas
Hello from Kansas

I had forgotten registering months ago when we were looking for a trailer. But this is my first time to post. Also am having a hard time finding my way around the forums. Made an introduction somewhere on another thread. Perhaps can figure out how to move it here later. We have a 16' Scamp purchased new earlier this year. Have owned several larger trailers in the past, but downsized now that kids have left home. Some disappointments, but overall happy with the fully self contained unit. Mainly towing ease, gas mileage, and easy to park. Will scout out more of the forums later. Have already gotten several good ideas for modifications and improvements. Jim
JIM Midway usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Jim, we are glad you're here! What are you towing with? I'm curious to hear what sort of disappointments you've experienced with the Scamp.

About navigating the site: One can click "forums" on the left side and choose which broad subject you want to read posts in. But personally I like to just click "new posts" each day and see what's currently being discussed. If you want to search for something specific, the drop-down 'search' lets you choose two ways, and the google search is the better of the two. I hope that gives you some ideas; if not, give us a holler and tell us what you're trying to do or find.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:56 PM   #3

Kansas
I found my introduction under the "New to forum" thread. Can it be moved? In short, I tow with a 99 Jeep Grand cherokee, V8, auto. with 170,000 miles on it. Great tow, except the final gear ratio is a little too high, causing a lot of downshift in head winds, and when it gets hilly. I can list the complaints later, but basically some sloppy finish work, lost paper work, attitudes at the office. I will try to post some photos later. Jim
Old 12-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #4

Name: Rich
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster and 2012 Lil Snoozy
Kansas
Registry
Hello from Kansas-kansas City area.
Congrats on you new trailer.
You will find people on this site are very helpful-just ask.
Be sure and check the 'rallies' forum.
Welcome!
Rich and Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #5

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
Welcome Jim and Rich, see you are both from Kansas, wanna narrow that down a bit, Kansas is a big state.We are from Tonganoxie, just west of KC. Just got our trailer and waiting for spring.

Stan
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #6

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome Jim to the FGRV family.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #7

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Small world! 😉

I dated a girl from Tonganoxie for a while. I lived in Bonner Springs for many years.
During my first year of college, a long time ago, my folks moved over just east of Kansas City.

We picked up a Scamp13 Layout 1 (with the 54" bed) in October 2013. 😊

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #8

Kansas
We live in Wichita, and now retired. Like history, and love to travel. Have been in all 48 lower states, Mexico, and Canada several times. Always want to see what's around the next corner, or over the next hill. Try to stay off the interstates when possible. Hope to take the Scamp to Alaska sometime in the next 2 years. Although my wife isn't crazy about it, I love the S.W. desert and go there every chance I get. Love the off road trails.

All our earlier trailers have been larger due to having kids, and we got spoiled. We have 3 batteries (4 when the jeep is attached) an inverter, microwave, coffeemaker, etc. and can "camp" comfortably off the grid for several days. Even in below freezing weather. Lights have LED bulbs, dump valves have been wrapped with heat tapes, and we add antifreeze to holding tanks. Leave the furnace on when traveling. Some can't believe we do that, but have done it for for over 30 years with no problem. I love the Scamp because it doesn't slow us down when traveling. Hardly ever drive over 65 mph anyway, and can pull it that fast hardly knowing it is back there. It only drops gas mileage to 14 from a normal 20. No mirrors to stick on the Jeep before leaving, and can make a U turn almost anywhere without backing up. And parking is usually no problem. It is hands down the most practical trailer we have owned.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #9

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Until October 2013, our daughter had lived in Hutchinson for a number of years. We used to drive/fly down to Hutchinson on a regular basis. Occasionally, my wife and daughter would drive on down to Wichita for shopping. 😊

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #10

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Jim, Your problem with constant down shifting when towing is typical in all of today's automatic transmissions. Because your transmission has an economy overdrive gear that gives better gas mileage at highway speeds and lower RPMs.
This feature should not be used when towing as it lowers the optimum RPMs below safe engine speed and will damage your engine. If you have a 5 speed automatic transmission set the shift lever to 4th gear....it will still shift in a normal automatic pattern but not go into 5th (or overdrive gear). It is this 5th gear that wants to run at RPMs below 2,000 RPMs (way too low for trailer towing. If your transmission only has 4 speeds then set the gear shifter to 3rd gear. My tow vehicle is a 4.0 liter V6 automatic with 5 speeds...my owner's manual indicates to only use gears 1 thru 4 when towing ( set shftter in 4th gear to lock out overdrive gear and protect engine). When I do this my RPMs never fall below 2,000. I did try using overdrive and the RPMs fell below 2,000 and the constant down shifting started. Today's automatic transmissions are computer controlled and try to protect the system by downshifting when loads like towing weights pull RPMs below the safety margin.

Happy Camping!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hello from Kansas

I'd recommend reviewing the owner's manual. Different manufacturers and transmissions work differently. My Honda Pilot has a 5-speed automatic, and apparently the top 2 gears are both overdrives, as disengaging OD drops it down to 3rd. Manual says to keep it in D on flats and disengage overdrive on hills. I wish there were a way to hold it in 4th for slight grades at speed, but there isn't.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:35 PM   #12

Kansas
Thanks for all the advice. Have used multiple tow vehicles over 44 years, from a 66 Chevy impala with 2 speed powerglide (great car, worst tow vehicle) to a 2001 Dodge diesel pickup. BEST tow vehicle, but not best all around for family use. Just got it up to speed, set the cruise control, and forget it.

It's just that ideally the Jeep could use slightly lower geared differentials to be most efficient for towing. On level ground with no head wind, it is okay. When it starts down shifting, I lock it out of overdrive. On a trip to Montana recently I spent about half the time locked out of O.D.

Someone ask about the downside to the Scamp. I had told them I would be there in 2 days and discussed what I wanted. They had it, but I refused a credit card deposit. Told them I had thoroughly researched the trailer, and If I was driving all that way, there was a darn good chance I would buy. Got there, and no one could find the paper work that was supposed to have been done. 2 curtains fell off the windows by the time I got home, and 2 more were ready to fall. I had to use small metal screws to hold the rods to the cheap brackets. 2 cabinet doors had screws missing on the latch and wouldn't stay shut. The propane regulator had been installed to the outside of the frame (had never seen that before, and not the safest place) and only had 1 small self threading screw holding it. 2 other screws had been broken off----too small to penetrate the heavy frame. The cushions are so hard they are like sleeping on styrofoam. Got a mattress pad and leave the main dinette down. It has the side dinette for the 2 of us. The bathroom door wouldn't stay latched. They said the outside door would get easier to close and showed me how to work it. But with some latch oil and practice, a month later I had to try several times, my wife gave up trying to close it, and after 2 months I reworked the latch and handle. It works half way decent now, but we have ripped a couple of short sleeve shirts buy catching our sleeves on the protrusion sticking out from the door frame. The latch reminds me of what they used on 1930s cars. Then the seal at the bottom of the door fell off. When I complained, I felt ignored. Forgot who I talked too, but his response was like, "Well those things happen sometimes".

I was disappointed to find what I thought were stainless steel bolts holding the cabinets, etc, to the shell (acting as braces) are actually fancy aluminum pop rivits. And still think it could use more of them to make it more sturdy.
The choice had come down to Scamp or Casita, and I still would choose the Scamp. More head room, better insulation for cold weather, and (not a big deal) I don't like the Casita recessed, flat door. If I wasn't a handy man, and lived farther south, the better choice might have been the Casita??
Old 12-12-2014, 08:24 AM   #13

Arizona
Registry
Hello from Kansas

Jim, many of the issues you mention are well-documented and there is a wealth of information on this forum to address them.

Easiest way to find stuff is to use the Google site search: from the website (not available on the app) go to the blue bar under your login information, click on "search," and the Google search is all the way down at the bottom. Type your query, such as "scamp door seal," and you'll get tons of good information.

BTW- the Casita flat door is only on the 17', which is really a whole different size & weight class. The 13' and 16' have curved doors just like Scamp. Curved doors are inherently difficult to fit and seal. Not that Scamp couldn't do better...

I know it's disappointing to have issues on a brand-new trailer, but in the end, it is what it is, there are fixes out there, and it's still arguably the best of its kind for the price. And the help you'll get from the great folks here is inarguably the best of its kind for the price! 😁
Old 12-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #14

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Was this a new unit? If that is the quality of a new unit that manufacturer would go on my "Never Buy" list.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Hello from Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Was this a new unit? If that is the quality of a new unit that manufacturer would go on my "Never Buy" list.

Some of the problems, like missing hardware, sound like Monday/Friday-type build issues. Unfortunate, but not uncommon in economy-level manufactured products. The use of rivets rather than SS bolts dates to the earliest FG trailers and has stood the test of time. The door fit and seal issue is the most serious one in the list, and I have heard of others with the same complaint. Use of a better quality gasket helps a lot, but Scamp should probably do some reengineering. Changing the seal was the first thing I did when I got mine. By many accounts their customer service is uneven.

Scamps have their pros and cons, and they may not be for you. If you want top-drawer quality and customer service in molded FG, Escape and Oliver come to mind, but be prepared to pay. Scamps have the lowest entry price point among FGRVs (though it can rise quickly with options) and lots of choices. In my opinion their strength is in the market for basic, simply-outfitted units. And the number of 20, 30, and 40 year-old units still in use testifies to the soundness of the overall design.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM Midway usa View Post

I was disappointed to find what I thought were stainless steel bolts holding the cabinets, etc, to the shell (acting as braces) are actually fancy aluminum pop rivits. And still think it could use more of them to make it more sturdy.
I wouldn't worry about the cabinet install. I have a 92 that has been thousands of miles and out hundreds of days in the seven years I have had it (not to mention the 15 years of use before I got it) and over some pretty rough roads. No cabinets have fallen down so far!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #17

Kansas
Uplander, yes it was new. I was going to buy used, but after 2 months of searching decided you could buy a new one for just a few dollars more.

Jon, yes, the scamp is for me. I know trailer construction and it is basically a good and solid unit, which is why I bought it. I just couldn't believe they would let something leave the plant with all those "bugs". It was bitter cold when I picked it up, I was running a day late, and needed to get away ASAP. Had no occasion to open the door as it was in the shop being prepped when I first saw it. Didn't go through it with a fine tooth comb as I usually do when buying something. With the Scamp reputation, didn't think I needed to. Didn't notice the door latch until hitched, the Jeep running, and ready to leave, when the tech(?) pointed out how to shut the door. I didn't give it another thought at the time.

Carol H, Glad to hear the rivets hold up well. Yes, I would buy another Scamp. But believe they need to work on management style, and quality assurance. I got the feeling they were riding the wave of their reputation. (joke) I was somewhat apprehensive when an employee didn't know about Garrison Keeler, Lake Wobegone, and Prairie Home Companion.

I don't want to just bad mouth the people. I hope they will wake up, and take more pride in what they do. AND PLEASE---find a better door latch. Will attempt to attach some photos.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I think the Scamp is sort of like a Chevelle. They were nice cars in their day and they are still collected and driven today, but Scamp is still building their Chevelle, basically unchanged in design after all these decades. For just a little bit more money, new designs can be purchased from companies like Escape. JMO.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #19

Kansas
Mike, an excellent comparison! I thought I had attached some photos---don't know what happened.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:27 PM   #20

Arizona
Registry
Actually, I've always thought of them as the VW Beetles of the camping trailer world. Classic shape, simple design, spartan amenities, incremental change, easily repairable and infinitely customizable, still relevant after all these years.

We all know what happened to the Beetle when they tried to modernize it.

The door handle? Mine works fine, and I can walk into any hardware store in the country and replace it.