Hello from Kansas! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2015, 10:34 PM   #1
FR1

Name: Shari
Trailer: Looking!
Kansas
Smile Hello from Kansas!

I am newly retired and want to get an egg camper for aerodynamic reason, light weight, and because I really like them. I have LOTS of question so I plan on going to the Rally this week in Milford. How do I find out if they have open house?

I thought I wanted a 13' Scamp but looking online I think I like the 16' better as it can sleep more than 2. If I took someone along, I don't know where they would sleep!

In all your opinions: how safe is it for a single female to go camping alone...with my dog.

Would I be better buying brand new or trying to find a good used one? I am full of questions! Will see how many campers are at the rally and then ask lots of questions then come back and ask more questions.

Thanks, I have learned a lot reading online and then I discovered this forum. I soon will be in the know!

Cheri
FR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:09 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR1 View Post
I am newly retired and want to get an egg camper for aerodynamic reason, light weight, and because I really like them. I have LOTS of question so I plan on going to the Rally this week in Milford. How do I find out if they have open house?
I thought I wanted a 13' Scamp but looking online I think I like the 16' better as it can sleep more than 2. If I took someone along, I don't know where they would sleep!
In all your opinions: how safe is it for a single female to go camping alone...with my dog.
Would I be better buying brand new or trying to find a good used one? I am full of questions! Will see how many campers are at the rally and then ask lots of questions then come back and ask more questions.
Thanks, I have learned a lot reading online and then I discovered this forum. I soon will be in the know! Cheri
Welcome to FGRV Cheri, you ask, we answer . BTW, congrats to retirement, it's been over 8 years for me. Gotta love all the Saturdays.
The rally is a good idea. Don't think I'd worry to much about an "open house" time as most folks are always ready to show and talk and show their trailers off.
There are a number of different makes of molded trailers, don't rule any out right now. Some are still made, some not. All have +/-'s and need to be considered for what may work best for you. That's where the rallies come in for you to see some of them. If you've never RV'd/camped before I think I would be looking at used to see if it going to work for you. As these rigs hold their value very well, if you find it's not for you, you should be able to get your $ back if not a bit more.
I agree that a 16 footer would work a lot better for a couple people. But that being said, I have to ask what you plan to use as a tow vehicle as that will pretty much determine what is a safe rig/size to tow. There is a thread here that lists the weights of many molded trailers loaded for travel. ALL are a lot heavier than the weights given by the builders. "real world trailer weights" I think it's called. Sorry, I should learn how to add that .
As far as being safe, there are many women just on this site that travel and camp alone. They will be along soon with info and have a slew of info and knowledge to pass on to you and everybody here.
OK, that's enough for now......it's your turn .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:01 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum, Cheri!

About the rally, did you check to see if there is contact information for the event coordinators or a thread going in the Rally section? That would be one way to find out about the best time to come. But if not, Dave is right- just show up.

If you are thinking of pulling a trailer with a vehicle you already own, I'd recommend two things to start your research: (1) read the towing section of your owner's manual carefully to find out how much weight you can tow safely and any special equipment that may be required, and (2) look at the thread "Trailer Weights in the Real World" in the General Chat section (post #297 links to a downloadable spreadsheet) to see what different makes and models really weigh.

New or used? That's up to you. New will cost a bit more, you'll have to pay shipping or travel to the factory, and it will involve a wait (ranging from a few months to over a year for an Escape). Used will save some money, but may take some searching and a drive to find the right one, and you'll need to educate yourself on what to look for to avoid a lemon.

Regarding safety traveling as a single woman... My mother is 89 and has traveled in a series of RVs since my father passed away 30 years ago. She occasionally takes a friend, but mostly travels alone. She usually camps at state parks and KOAs, which are fairly safe, and she still has her wits about her and a healthy dose of plain common sense. Of course I worry, but honestly, she could just as easily have an accident or become a victim of crime at home as traveling. She enjoys it, and it keeps her active, which is good for body and mind.

Go for it!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #4
FR1

Name: Shari
Trailer: Looking!
Kansas
Thank you Dave and Jon for your responses and making me feel welcome! Good for your mom, Jon.

I will be using my 97 Dodge Dakota Sport. I bought it used and the people used it only to haul their camping trailer. It has the hitch and wiring, but the plug is long gone. I bought it used years ago. Initially I was hoping to use my small car due to gas mileage, but checked and it is not rated to pull anything over 1000 pounds. I want a hard sided camper so a pop-up won't do.

I have tent camped and when I was married we had a truck camper. Mainly we camped in the boonies to dirt bike ride, but the tenting was all done at parks.

Thank you for the congrats on retirement. I am thoroughly enjoying it as shown by my moniker of FR: Finally Retired!. It wouldn't let me put in the '!'. So it is FR1. ha! Needed 3 letters and that's how I feel after being so hesitant about retiring.

My sister sent me this:

I am a Seenager. (Senior teenager)
I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 60 years later.
I don’t have to go to school or work.
I get an allowance every month.
I have my own pad.
I don’t have a curfew.
I have a driver’s licence and my own car.
I have ID that gets me into bars and the Beer Store.
The people I hang around with are not scared of getting pregnant.
And I don’t have acne!

Life is great!!! :-)

I am thankful I found this forum and plan on lots of reading and learning!
Cheri
FR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:04 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Hi Shari (Cheri ?)
Don't waste time being concerned about whether you should be camping. Just do it ! We're two 'seenagers', who've regularly camped for over 60 years, and still enjoy the outdoor life far more than the 'idiot box'. Everyday is a great day, if you learn something new !
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:58 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Pick-up trucks typically have a wide range of towing capacities depending on engine, transmission, rear differential, and other variables. You'll want to determine the capacity for yours. Beware of going by the label on the hitch- it only specifies the limit of the hitch, not the vehicle to which it is attached, which may be lower.

Your owner's manual should spell it out, and if it raises some questions about the configuration of your truck, a visit to a Dodge dealer may be needed. Using the VIN number, they should be able to tell you exactly how your truck is configured.

Given its age, I'd probably want a mechanic to check it out thoroughly, with the understanding that you're planning to tow a trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

« trclk1 | New member »