Hello from LA {{lower Alabama} - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-02-2016, 07:31 PM   #1

Name: Jewellann
Trailer: In the market
Alabama
Hello from LA {{lower Alabama}

I've recently down sized from a "sleeps seven Viking popup" to a sleeps 2 {if UR very friendly} Aliner. I like the older Casita's and Scamps. I used to live close to the Casita plant in Corsicanna TX.

I chose the Aliner because of the low wind resistance while towing. My tow vehicle is a 1991 4x4 Ford Ranger XLT EXT. cab with a 4.0 V6. I've had it 12 years and have nearly replaced/rebuilt the whole truck

I'm keeping a look out for my next T.T. hoping to find a fiberglass one.

Is there anyone here who knows about a 1988 Honeywell fiberglass M.H. or van? I know someone who has a gutted one who plans on doing an DIY interior build who has a lot of questions. I looked around here and didn't find any references that might help them. I intend to refer them to this site. I have already found some very interesting info.

Sooooooooo can my Aliner, my untrained attack chihuahua Queenie and myself hang with you guys or are you gonna kick us to the curb?

I couldn't resist that dancing okra! Jewellann and Queenie
Jewellann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:16 PM   #2

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Welcome Jewellann! Anyone who enjoys camping and likes dogs will find a welcome mat at our camper door. Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:16 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You are welcome to hang out here, of course!

The reason you didn't see much about molded fiberglass vans or motorhomes is because this site is about all-molded fiberglass towables.

As far as building out the interior, the issues are pretty much the same. For chassis issues, a moho forum might be better.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:10 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We were in UA (Upper Alabama) most of last week with our 13' Scamp camping in Florence at McFarland Campground.

I DO have a question though...why the "Older" Casitas and Scamps over new ones? They all look alike to me with the exception that if they havent been meticulously taken care of, some can look/be pretty rough. Just curious.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:25 AM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
...I DO have a question though...why the "Older" Casitas and Scamps over new ones? They all look alike to me with the exception that if they havent been meticulously taken care of, some can look/be pretty rough. Just curious.
Jalousie windows on the the old Scamps would one good reason. The use of plywood in the floor rather than OSB could be another.

With Casitas, going too far back gets you into orangy-brownish sculpted carpet on the walls…

But I agree: care is needed. Neglect can turn that plywood floor into a big project!
Old 10-03-2016, 07:27 AM   #6

Unless they've changed, Jalousies are all they install now. My 2010 were Jalousies. At THAT time, they were giving you the options. I did not and would not want the sliders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Jalousie windows on the the old ones would one good reason. The use of plywood in the floor rather than OSB could be another.

But I agree: care is needed. Neglect can turn that plywood floor into a big project!
Old 10-03-2016, 07:39 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
The new jalousies are radius jalousies, in which only part of the window opens, not the full jalousies offered as an option a few years earlier on your 2010. Some people like the vintage look and feel of unpainted aluminum. For myself, I prefer the sliders. Different strokes…
Old 10-03-2016, 07:49 AM   #8

Actually, mine are the "radius" windows. I dont care for "vintage" anything so these suit the bill. There was a new trailer posted on this group a few weeks ago that REALLY looked "modern"...I loved it and drooled for it! Do I like the look of my "retro-style" Scamp? Not at all....BUT...it does pull good with the rounded corners . Just got back from an outing using the Natchez Trace and got 23.7 mpg with my 4-cyl Frontier...the best I've ever gotten!

Here's my windows for anyone reading and having NO idea to that of which we speak: Windows : 18 X 24 Crank Out Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The new jalousies are radius jalousies, in which only part of the window opens, not the full jalousies offered as an option a few years earlier on your 2010. Some people like the vintage look and feel of unpainted aluminum. For myself, I prefer the sliders. Different strokes…
Old 10-03-2016, 08:16 AM   #9

Alabama
I'm just like Madea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
We were in UA (Upper Alabama) most of last week with our 13' Scamp camping in Florence at McFarland Campground.

I DO have a question though...why the "Older" Casitas and Scamps over new ones? They all look alike to me with the exception that if they havent been meticulously taken care of, some can look/be pretty rough. Just curious.
Like Tyler Perry's character Madea responded to a query re: her income " Oh no I don't have a fixed income, I have a broke income {SS}. I can relate to that. As I down size personal belongings and also debt I feel that a used anything in good repair is a better option if it {whatever} can be purchased at a fair price.

When my husband was still living we once purchased 4 new vehicles in less than 8ys. That included "69 Fairlane Fastback, 2 Ford pick ups and a Chevy van. He was a back seat driver in the front seat! Watch out...You scratched it...Park there etc.!!! I'd wake thinking I'd dented/scratched/parked wrong!!

So I prefer something already broken in or as we said in Texas growing up " leave me alone...This ain't my first Rodeo" that way what I buy doesn't depreciate rapidly and I'm not concerned with new minor bumps and scratches. My Aliner came with many add on's by previous owners including heavy duty off road axle and mounted steel carry racks front and rear.

That's My Story And I'm A Stickin' To It

Jewellann
Old 10-03-2016, 08:21 AM   #10

Alabama
Thanks

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. Also info re: fiberglass vans/m.h.

Jewellann
Old 10-03-2016, 08:23 AM   #11

Well ok...that explains it a little better. I thought for some reason you wanted "Vintage" as Jon and I discussed. I like new vehicles...but I dont like the "headache" you describe that comes with them. When my father passed away, I got his ole 2007 Cobalt. It's a decent car but for whatever reason, we've "converted" it to our "Walmart car". We take it places and park where ever how ever! So I can relate to your theory as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewellann View Post

So I prefer something already broken in or as we said in Texas growing up " leave me alone...This ain't my first Rodeo" that way what I buy doesn't depreciate rapidly and I'm not concerned with new minor bumps and scratches. My Aliner came with many add on's by previous owners including heavy duty off road axle and mounted steel carry racks front and rear.

That's My Story And I'm A Stickin' To It

Jewellann
Old 10-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #12

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Hi Jewellann, and welcome! Greetings from LF (Lower Florida) but my sister, her two daughters and their extended families are all in Baldwin County, AL - Fairhope and some smaller burgs.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote