Hello from Land and Sea and me - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #1

Name: Noah
Trailer: 1976 El Macho by Land and Sea
Missouri
Hello from Land and Sea and me

Hi, I'm Noah. I've been frequenting this site for years now in the hopes of finding a camper I could claim as my own. I finally found one, though it was through a friend.

I picked up this 1976 El Macho by Land and Sea last summer and am just now getting around to working on it. It sat for about 10 years with weather and animals causing some pretty nasty accumulations on the interior so I basically gutted it (besides the ensolite cabinets). after remediating the mold problem, I used it as a bare bones set-up a couple times last year. such a blast. just totally changes my mentality for long drives. now I'm actually seeking out longer routes and interesting spots along my route. camping in the bed of my truck for many years, I can tell ya that was not the case previously.

both the frame and the subfloor are solid. there are some fiberglass repairs and paint that need to happen, though my "temporary" fixes have held up quite well. one issue I'll have to deal with is the roof is somewhat "dented" in where snow load accumulated from the previous owner. I've got some general ideas on how to tackle that, but look forward to checking out the forum to see what others have done in this instance. additionally, this camper has a leather rock guard which is in pretty decent shape and is a real nice added feature.

I'm pretty confident in my abilities when it comes to the floor installation, cabinet doors and overall remodel as I am a carpenter. I may end up getting help with the electric and plumbing but it shouldn't be too bad.

anyways, thanks in advance and appreciate the opportunity to join the community!

NoahJ
Attached Thumbnails
elmacho.jpg  
Noah JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:03 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I'm a big fan of molded FG cabinets on the inside. Scamp sells them, not sure they will fit your unit or not. To me, the fiberglass cabinetry looks super clean and its light weight too.

I'd also keep an eye out for used FG cabinets. Every so often, someone decides to gut their interior and sell off the original stuff.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:44 PM   #3
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Welcome Noah! Great looking camper. Be sure to post pictures of your progress inside!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:16 PM   #4

Name: Belinda
Trailer: Land & Sea
Colorado
Smile Land & Sea

Hi Noah,

I too, have a Land and Sea. It’s a 1979. Mine is white except for the large accumulation of mold on the outside right now. When it gets warmer in the Rockies, I’ll clean her up and get her some new tires! Good to see another L&S owner.

Belinda
Collinsbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:20 PM   #5

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Very Nice!
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:03 PM   #6

Name: Noah
Trailer: 1976 El Macho by Land and Sea
Missouri
Thanks y'all!
Noah JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:41 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Due to the nature of the roof being somewhat flatter on my Trailswest Campster I have two several inches wide dished areas on the roof that accumulate a little bit water instead of having it run off the roof.

I just decided to live with it that way is not really a structural issue that is going to cause the fiberglass roof to fail. All it does is allow a little standing water and all that happens from that is it just leaves that spot with a little more dirt accumulation to wash off.

Older travel trailers are like older people, they have wrinkles and saggy skin and even some sun damage to the skin. So don't sweat the small stuff unless it is truly a situation that would cause the roof to cave in. No need to obsess or expect perfection. You are going to use it, you are not putting it into a museum or entering it into a cash prize vintage competition.
Make it look good overall even though not perfect and it will be cute and still be admired even with its small signs of age.

New owners get all wound up trying to make everything perfect. Just relax and fix what is essential to fix and just let the small stuff stay mentally in your "small stuff" category of don't sweat it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Kcorbin nailed it . Wife and I have a Trailswest Campster and a Hunter 1 neither one in perfect condition but have enjoyed the heck out of both ! My catch phase is "it's a camper for pete's sake". Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:21 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Roof issue.....been there,,,done that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah JJ View Post
Hi, I'm Noah. I've been frequenting this site for years now in the hopes of finding a camper I could claim as my own. I finally found one, though it was through a friend.

I picked up this 1976 El Macho by Land and Sea last summer and am just now getting around to working on it. It sat for about 10 years with weather and animals causing some pretty nasty accumulations on the interior so I basically gutted it (besides the ensolite cabinets). after remediating the mold problem, I used it as a bare bones set-up a couple times last year. such a blast. just totally changes my mentality for long drives. now I'm actually seeking out longer routes and interesting spots along my route. camping in the bed of my truck for many years, I can tell ya that was not the case previously.

both the frame and the subfloor are solid. there are some fiberglass repairs and paint that need to happen, though my "temporary" fixes have held up quite well. one issue I'll have to deal with is the roof is somewhat "dented" in where snow load accumulated from the previous owner. I've got some general ideas on how to tackle that, but look forward to checking out the forum to see what others have done in this instance. additionally, this camper has a leather rock guard which is in pretty decent shape and is a real nice added feature.

I'm pretty confident in my abilities when it comes to the floor installation, cabinet doors and overall remodel as I am a carpenter. I may end up getting help with the electric and plumbing but it shouldn't be too bad.

anyways, thanks in advance and appreciate the opportunity to join the community!

NoahJ
The measurement I needed was from a flat spot for a car jack and a piece of 2X4 and a cloth......jack on the floor near the wheel well but on the plywood floor. The 2x4 with the cloth on top and you start to jack up the roof. Hopefully, you can get the height numbers before you start. Keep measuring until your happy. Use the closet supports either home made or that came with it. Fasten the best you can and repeat for the other side.
My boler was 100% rebuild with nothing in it and no help. I'm in the mod section of this site.
Mikey
ln41211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Welcome

Welcome, Noah!
Looks like a neat trailer you've got there.
We love to see pictures of your progress. I like the idea of a leather rock guard. Maybe post a close up photo of that.

I renovated mine so if you want some ideas, check it out.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ted-37570.html

Enjoy your trailer, like K Corbin says. Doesn't have to look perfect.

Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:33 AM   #11

Name: Ava
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
����
Aboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #12

Name: Zach
Trailer: Land and Sea Intl.
California
Have you had any trouble with the door? I recently acquired a 79 El Macho and the door is a little wonky. Thanks!
zacharyreinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:48 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Door is wonky....

Yes I did.....my advice is to take the door off the hinges, then see if it fits the opening perfectly. If it fits nicely, then the hinges need repair or replacing.....if it doesn't, then you have to correct the door curve.....this can be done many ways....but, it has to fit fitst then the hinges...or both.
ln41211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:30 AM   #14

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharyreinhold View Post
Have you had any trouble with the door? I recently acquired a 79 El Macho and the door is a little wonky. Thanks!
Door fit issues are common on older FB trailers. Can be door itself, the hinges, roof sag, floor sag and more. Realize if the body of the trailer itself is misshapened, then even a perfect door won’t fit right. Old hinges are often an issue too, but not the entire problem.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
el macho