Hello from NorCal - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-10-2019, 11:14 AM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
Welcome to Fiberglass trailerdome Mark! I like your trailer and looks like you got a good deal. I too bought an old fiberglass trailer (16 ft Casita)as a project a year ago Thanksgiving. I am still fixing her up but my wife and I had a great time using the trailer on five trips over the summer and fall.

As to your question about whether all campgrounds have bathrooms and showers, I think you will find that many paid type places ( state parks or private) have both but that more primitive areas such as US Forest Service or BLM will only have pit privies. That is not hard cast as there are several outlier California State Park campgrounds here in my area on the Mendocino Coast that only have pit privies. Those would be the the self service, "iron ranger" type places. Once you get out of state, services are all over the map but I think you may find that many states take the quality of their parks much more seriously than does California.

Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #16

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
"Once you get out of state, services are all over the map but I think you may find that many states take the quality of their parks much more seriously than does California."
Oregon in particular. We passed an initiative some time back directing 15% of lottery proceeds to the state park system - half directly, half in state park grants to communities that would likely otherwise not have parks and playgrounds.
From what I have seen, our parks are second to none.

Have fun with your restoration!

Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:34 PM   #17

Name: Mark
Trailer: Trails West Campster
California
Thank you

Thanks for the great replies.Mark
AstroMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #18

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Spongelander: I second your proposal that your Oregon parks are second to none. They're so good that staying in Washington State Parks feels like a comedown. Even the nicest WA state parks have more issues than the Oregon ones...and so far we've stayed at about twenty in Oregon.

Even if the only issue is having to use "tokens" to take a shower in WA...I so appreciate Oregon's free, hot showers that come with our camping fee.
One less thing to have to fuss with.

Most problems can be overcome, but Oregon meets us halfway and then some. We hope to visit all the Oregon State Parks (and Recreation Areas) eventually. Maybe one day we'll find a favorite to return to again and again.

BEST
Kathleen
"K"
Old 01-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #19

California
traveling with a camper

Our plan is to try camper with the Campster here in California first then hopefully drive from Ca to Texas then to New Hampshire. I drove a large moving truck when we moved to Ca from NH I drove mostly highway 80 and it was a great trip for me but it was also kinda boring. So we wish to go down through Ca through the LA areas then across to Texas then on to the east coastal areas the up to NH. Camping most of the way. Anyone done this?
Old 01-16-2019, 07:02 PM   #20

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
I don't think the roof or the electrical system will support A/C. We just have a fan, but we are in Washington. As much as we traveled with our Casita, we almost never needed air. You will find with the Campster that you will spend most of your time outside.

The real challenge would be if the roof will take the weight of the unit. My scamp has a normal window unit mounted in a closet and that works. Had to replace it. Just used a normal small window unit. Just had to find a way to install a drain.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:17 PM   #21

California
small hvac units

I recently found a small ac unit for such an occasion but I have to search again cause i somehow either lost it or forgot to save it to my book marks.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:36 PM   #22

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroMark View Post
I recently found a small ac unit for such an occasion but I have to search again cause i somehow either lost it or forgot to save it to my book marks.

My scamp already had that setup so I just replaced it. Might be a bit harder to do with a scratch install. The original was a exact fit for the cabinet with both the front and back supported. The replacement was much smaller so I had to build a frame of 2x4s and 2x2s to hold it based off of the floor. The unit I bought was just a normal one from Sams. Walmart and Lowes sells the same unit. The challenge was finding one that I could drill a drain hole in and then put a fitting on to hook a small hose to in order to drain it out the floor. The other problem was that I had to build a wood duct to run the air coming in the back of the unit separately from the from the air coming out the sides, and then get both ducted to the outside.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:47 PM   #23

Name: Rich
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster and 2012 Lil Snoozy
Kansas
Registry
It is a trails west campster

Here is ours.
Featured Trailer; 1970 Trails West Campster

Rich and Rei is offline   Reply With Quote