Hello from NW Ohio - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2018, 04:22 PM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: In the market
Ohio
Hello from NW Ohio

We are looking to travel the US and Canada. We have always travelled in a van and either camped or stayed in motels. We are getting a little older and are tired of sleeping and cooking out of a van. We came across a group of fiberglass campers in the Smoky Mountains (Townsend area) and they graciously let us look through many of their campers - Casitas, U-Hauls and Escapes as I recall. We have been intrigued ever since. We are leaning toward a new or used Casita but that may change after being on your forum. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.
scotthall8x10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:43 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
As owners of both a Uhaul 13 and Casita 17, we have to say the Casita is a much better trailer, but we don't cook in either one.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:03 PM   #3

Name: Dan
Trailer: Escape
Indiana
I can say that you likely would be happy with any fiberglass camper you choose if you take a little time to decide what you want your 'home on wheels' to be like. Give careful consideration sort out must have features that will make your travels pleasant. The are so many flexible options via modifications (this site is full of ideas). I've owned a Casita 17' SD and I have a 21' Escape under construction currently. Happy hunting!
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:47 AM   #4

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
greetins

hello scot glad you stopped by. our fiberglass venture came to being due to my big-time back surgeries and at 74 when I bought our A-Liner we made the right decision moving to an egg!

we have a 13f scamper that was listed here but we found her on craigslist he had listed both places. I hadn't looked too long before we found the 13f scamper its a 95.

if the wx is bad we do cook a little in it no doubt if it was a new expensive rig we wouldn't but that is why I like old and used. we have already towed over 10k miles and intend to go as long as we can!

ask questions here you will be treated graciously and with respect. you decide what you want if you see a rig listed you like better have your cash on hand your tv ready and be ready to roll because it will be gone if you don't.

most people are honest so don't dwell on that you will be able to tell.

best of luck to you

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:29 AM   #5

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
casitas at Maumee Bay St Pk

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthall8x10 View Post
We are looking to travel the US and Canada. We have always travelled in a van and either camped or stayed in motels. We are getting a little older and are tired of sleeping and cooking out of a van. We came across a group of fiberglass campers in the Smoky Mountains (Townsend area) and they graciously let us look through many of their campers - Casitas, U-Hauls and Escapes as I recall. We have been intrigued ever since. We are leaning toward a new or used Casita but that may change after being on your forum. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.
We attended the Magee birding fest last May and there were 5 Casitas camping at Maumee Bay St Pk. Maybe check the campgrounds out during this years fest. Casita owners are "campers" loving to live and cook outside. But when the weather is inclement, cooking inside is easy. We have a 16' SD (bath, bed that stays made, and love the dinette) Also we are both under 5'10" so are very comfortable in the middle sized Casita. Enjoy your search.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:02 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
U-Hauls as mostly 13'. Casitas are mostly 16-17'. Escapes are mostly 17' and up. U-Hauls are double hull with inner and outer shells with molded in cabinets. Casitas a single hull with modular fiberglass cabinetry. Escapes are single hull with traditional wood cabinets. U-Hauls are vintage, starting at around $5K in good condition. Casitas are common used at a variety of price points, around $20K new. Escapes run $25-40K USD new and are hard to find used.

In other words, beyond the fiberglass shell, they are as different as any three trailers can be. The only way to find out which is right for you is to get a look at all of them. A rally is a good place to start.

Happy "egg hunting"!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #7

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
search for that perfect camper

when I first started thinking egg camper I found this place I sort of studied up as far as I could.

I made up my mind the first nice one listed I was going to jump on it I considered the fact after reading up here that any egg camper bought right I would take little loss on it if any if I wasn't happy.

well I found one sight unseen and I have been satisfied ever since! learn to ask the right questions and you will have to trust people.

now when I made that decision I didn't think in the 10to20k range just 5k hard to lose too much on that.

you will get it worked out soon!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:09 PM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Fortunately you have accomplished an important step. That is you have seen at least three brand examples in person. U Hauls and the others can be found used. There are new Casitas and Escapes sold factory direct. There is a backlog for both.

If you haven't visited the manufacturers websites for Casitas, and Escapes, doing that will feed your fantasy. Include Scamp as well. Others include Lil Snoozy, Oliver, Parklander, Bigfoot, and soon Nest by Airstream.

Oh, I'd still recommend visiting a nearby rally this Spring.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote