Hello from Ohio! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #1

Hello from Ohio!

What are some questions that I need to ask when buying a used fiberglass trailer? Do I need to worry about the floor? What about cracks? Can they be repaired? I can paint and sew and change a tire but replacing windows and vents not so much. I had a Tin Can until a storm put a tree on top of her! I'm looking for a small one. It doesn't have to have the bunks. One bed for 2 plus floor space for 2 Bernese Mt Dogs. Thanks for this site!
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Michele
michele4bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:15 PM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
You might find this buyers checklist of use. Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Buyers Check List

TWO Berner Sunnenhund is a LOT of floor space :-) In a 13 ft. you might have to consider you take the bunks and give them the bed!

Here is a link to the Fiberglass RV rally map, you might want to consider hitting one of these. Open house time is common at a rally and most participants would be happy to show you their rigs. Good way to see lots of brands and models to get a clear idea of what will work for you. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...aps-67269.html I do see a May rally over in Indiana.

The bunk model of 13 ft. the bunk is convertible between a couch or bunk bed. If you dogs will both sleep or lie down on the 6 foot of couch with the top bunk up (makes a cave sort of) then you can use the top bunk as a shelf for gear while the dogs take the bottom bunk. Floor wise 13 ft. only has about 5 ft. of floor. A 40 lb. Standard Schnauzer takes about 1/2 of it. Or stretches out until she does. My Floor!

Also need to consider what the tow vehicle can handle in terms of rated towing weight in picking a camper. This list of trailer weights collected at rallies may prove useful. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

Some weather can make AC pretty much required for the dogs comfort. AC adds weight and sometimes takes up storage space (Some Scamps have them in closet/cupboard) Or on roof make the camper taller which may not fit in garage or carport. Bathroom will be a lot of floor space to give up when the 4 of you are in there so that might impact the size camper that will work well for you.

I'm sure some big dog owners will weigh in soon, we have a lot of dog owning members that camp or travel with their dog, couple of cat owners too now that I think about it.

Good luck in your search and welcome!
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:32 PM   #3

Thanks for the info! We have been tent camping and a 4 man tent means one cot and one dog! However, it worked and we learned to share. Most of the time it'll be me and 1 or2 dogs. When it's real hot, they do not go. I have 5 dogs but most of them are not campers. I have a suburban so towing is not a problem. Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:54 PM   #4

Name: Pineapple Man
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Ohio
Michele - Maybe consider a 16' ? We're in Ohio too ! Just bought a used 13' (my Rottie boy passed, wife has allergies, now have a Standard Schnauzer) w/bathroom

Roger - You have a Standard Schnauzer ?! Ours is a rescue thru SSCA, a 50lb boy.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:59 PM   #5

Name: Rae
Trailer: Boler
Ohio
My GSP has taken up residence on the bunk in my 13' Boler. Haven't actually camped yet as we just finished a total resto. Think me and Pup will be comfortable tho.
I am a also a Buckeye! (The UNDISPUTED NATIONAL CHAMPS)
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:11 PM   #6

Ohio
I keep hoping we'll get a date on the Ohio Rally> It's at Caesar Creek State Park in Sept., but no actual days yet ??? Would be great to meet fellow Buckeyes !!
Old 01-22-2015, 10:27 PM   #7

Ohio
We are trying to plan a trip to Montana in September; waiting on rally date before finalizing. Don't want to miss showing off our little Boler!
Old 01-22-2015, 10:34 PM   #8

I would love to see your campers. Hopefully the dates will work out. O-H !

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-23-2015, 05:26 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984
Come on over to the Ontario Bolerama in July. We're just across the lake and get people from Mich, Ohio, Penn., Virg. Flor. and beyond. There will quite possibly be over 100 trailers of all makes of fibreglass that you can check out.
Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:58 AM   #10

Thanks Jim. Do you have the dates for that? I'm going to Alaska in July.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-23-2015, 10:04 AM   #11

Ohio
I-O!

Did Alaska last September. You'll LOVE it!
Old 01-23-2015, 11:59 AM   #12

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Man View Post
Michele - Maybe consider a 16' ? We're in Ohio too ! Just bought a used 13' (my Rottie boy passed, wife has allergies, now have a Standard Schnauzer) w/bathroom

Roger - You have a Standard Schnauzer ?! Ours is a rescue thru SSCA, a 50lb boy.
Yep have a Standard 40 lb. girl now about 10 years old. At bed time in our 13 she finds a spot down by my wife's feet. But when we are just hanging out she likes to spread out on the floor. Not the best picture but then is there such a thing as a bad Schnauzer picture? https://www.flickr.com/photos/drccac/15075949300/

We also allow Buckeyes to come to the Algonac Michigan Glassic Egg Scramble in Algonac State Park. We do tend to make fun of the folks from the buckeye state, but this year they did the Big 10 proud so maybe this one time we won't report them to homeland security just for laughs.

First weekend after labor day you should come. Right on the river and all the Great Lakes shipping flows past here. Pictures from last year just to encourage you. https://www.flickr.com/photos/drccac/with/15075894629/
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #13

Ohio
Looks like a fun time! I like that there's some music involved also!
Old 01-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #14

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
The Algonac Rally was the first we attended, and it was a lot of fun. We plan to be there again this year. Quite a variety of fiberglass represented. Guaranteed good time.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:58 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler 1984
It's on July 10-13 and only about a 1/2 hour from Niagara Falls. Hope you can make it. Lots of great folks enjoying themselves.

james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:29 PM   #16

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Come on over to the Ontario Bolerama in July. We're just across the lake and get people from Mich, Ohio, Penn., Virg. Flor. and beyond. There will quite possibly be over 100 trailers of all makes of fibreglass that you can check out.
Jim

Would love to, but no passport. Years ago I'd visit your side of the Falls (the prettier side) without one. Then I started farming and could never get away,
so didn't have need for one.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:34 PM   #17

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Yep have a Standard 40 lb. girl now about 10 years old. At bed time in our 13 she finds a spot down by my wife's feet. But when we are just hanging out she likes to spread out on the floor. Not the best picture but then is there such a thing as a bad Schnauzer picture? https://www.flickr.com/photos/drccac/15075949300/

We also allow Buckeyes to come to the Algonac Michigan Glassic Egg Scramble in Algonac State Park. We do tend to make fun of the folks from the buckeye state, but this year they did the Big 10 proud so maybe this one time we won't report them to homeland security just for laughs.

First weekend after labor day you should come. Right on the river and all the Great Lakes shipping flows past here. Pictures from last year just to encourage you. https://www.flickr.com/photos/drccac/with/15075894629/
Never saw a Schnauzer photo we didn't like !

We were thinking of Algonac (wonderful photos - and yes, very tempting) did I see ukuleles ?!! uh-oh .... looks like a great turnout and lotsa fun
How fast does it fill up ? Will need to consult with my better half, but she's already hit the hay for the night.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:21 AM   #18

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by michele4bob View Post
I'm looking for a small one. It doesn't have to have the bunks. One bed for 2 plus floor space for 2 Bernese Mt Dogs.
A Trillium 4500 is a little over 15' long (4.5 meters). The front bunk model was a popular build. A minor mod to the upper front bunk should allow a spot for your dogs to have their own bed up front, while you take the one in the back. Floor space with 2 large breed dogs will be challenging in most small trailers.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote