Hello from Oklahoma, Burro 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #1

Name: Faye
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13'
Oklahoma
Hello from Oklahoma, Burro 13

After looking off and on for a couple of years, I found my little Burro in Utah and it's traveling from Utah to Oklahoma over the Thanksgiving break. My brother (this is the kind of brother to have!) helped me find and buy a 1982 in good condition and he's towing it back for me in a couple of weeks. I have a question: the trailer is about half an inch lower on one side. I'm anticipating having to replace the axle, but would it be safe for him to tow it across the country as it is and me replace it once it's back in Oklahoma, or should I have him replace it before he takes the trip? I'm really looking forward to getting the trailer, but I want it in one piece when it gets here. I can't wait to start refurbishing the interior and making travel plans. Or even just sitting in it in the driveway and reading a book!
Faye J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Faye, welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here.

Question, are you certain it's the axle or is it possible the frame is broken? I'd crawl under and check the frame thoroughly first....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hi Faye, welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here.

Question, are you certain it's the axle or is it possible the frame is broken? I'd crawl under and check the frame thoroughly first....

My brother crawled under and gave it a good look. The frame looks fine, and he's really good at this stuff, so I'd trust him to know what to look for. I guess I just don't want him to have to deal with something major on the trip so I'm trying to anticipate any problems.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #4

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Are the tires the same size?
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil M. View Post
Are the tires the same size?
I would think so. I don't think it's a tire size or inflation difference. That would be too easy! Do you think the suspension could be worn out on one side? Or should I even worry about it?
Old 11-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #6

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Being pretty ignorant on automotive workings, that was the first thing that came to my mind, kinda like if the fridge or whatever isn't working then it might not be plugged in.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:36 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile How about inside?

What is inside? Did a FO leave an anvil on one side?

Welcome to our little forum.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:12 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If it's not the frame and the tires are the same size, look at the axle and make certain the angle is the same on both sides. One side may be up the other side level or down.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faye J. View Post
I have a question: the trailer is about half an inch lower on one side. I'm anticipating having to replace the axle, but would it be safe for him to tow it across the country as it is and me replace it once it's back in Oklahoma, or should I have him replace it before he takes the trip?
You can detect a 1/2 inch rise over a 7 foot run? Your eyes are better than mine! That doesn't seem problematic to me. With what I've learned about the Burro company, quality control was not their strong suit.

The body of my Fiber Stream has a 1-1/2 inch lean to starboard in relation to the frame that I've come to accept over time as I'm not prepared to do a frame-off rebuild to fix. One Lego brick under the tires on that side corrects it at a level campsite.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #10

Name: Charley
Trailer: Burro 13'
North Carolina
Registry
My Burro's floor had rotted on the driver side and collapsed a half inch on that side. I noticed it where the shell sits on the frame at the rear. It had actually broken down the f'glass. If that is what you see it should not affect towing.
Charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #11

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
My Burro's floor had rotted on the driver side and collapsed a half inch on that side. I noticed it where the shell sits on the frame at the rear. It had actually broken down the f'glass. If that is what you see it should not affect towing.
If the OP's "new" '82 Burro has that much damage, I hope there is an appropriate adjustment to the purchase price. That is going to be a major repair with predictably high cost. Best case scenario is that suggested by DonnaD where you just need to adjust the axle, but be sure of what you are getting into! Regardless, welcome to the wonderful world of the wild Burro!

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #12

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I think the 'rule of thumb' is that if you can make a fist (sideways) between the top of the tire and the wheel well above it, there's enough room for the axle to flex in travel. If there is less room than that above the tire, it could hit and rub the wheel well as the trailer bumps along the road.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #13

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Half an inch difference is very little. My Burro is lower on the driver's side, all the heavy stuff is on that side, water heater, furnace, stove, refrigerator...
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #14

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I think the 'rule of thumb' is that if you can make a fist (sideways) between the top of the tire and the wheel well above it, there's enough room for the axle to flex in travel. If there is less room than that above the tire, it could hit and rub the wheel well as the trailer bumps along the road.
Thanks Mike. That's helpful info and I'll pass it on to my brother. Since I havent seen the trailer in person it's all second-hand observation. This sounds like good advice!
Old 11-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #15

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE View Post
Half an inch difference is very little. My Burro is lower on the driver's side, all the heavy stuff is on that side, water heater, furnace, stove, refrigerator...
Hi Thomas,

That makes absolute sense to me. After I move that anvil . . .
Old 11-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #16

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
What is inside? Did a FO leave an anvil on one side?

Welcome to our little forum.

Ha! But you never know . . .

Glad to be here!
Old 11-10-2011, 11:15 PM   #17

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil M. View Post
Being pretty ignorant on automotive workings, that was the first thing that came to my mind, kinda like if the fridge or whatever isn't working then it might not be plugged in.

Hi Lil,

Sometimes that's the kind of answer that makes the most sense. I'm not all that great at mechanical details either, so I know where you're coming from. I have admiration for the people who are doing complete off-trailer restorations with all sorts of engineering and practical knowledge, but at this point I just don't have enough experience to go there. (Or the time, tools, or muscle.) I just want things to hang together long enough to get from point A to point B!

Tags
burro