Hello from San Jose - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #1

Name: Ed
Trailer: Shopping
California
Hello from San Jose

Hi all,

I have been perusing your site for the last couple of weeks and I'm hooked. I've always thought about owning a Scamp or something similar, just never had a tow vehicle that was really appropriate. Now I do! I'm kicking myself in the but a little for not jumping on the 13' Uhaul in Arcata for $2500. As most good deals on this site go ..... SOLD!

I'm 6'5", so it would have been too small anyway

Really interested in an Eggcamper or a Parkliner under 10K.

Ed
Eggomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:11 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome Ed to FGRV. As you've already seen these moulded units do sell fast. You really need to see in person as many different makes and sizes you can before making up your mind to which one is it for you. Check out the rallys that are coming up and try to get to one. Also check the thread on "real world trailer weights" to get info on what they really weigh to compare them to your tug. Good luck in your search.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:33 AM   #3

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggomaniac View Post

.....and I'm hooked.
Ed
Hi Ed,

Know that feeling well

Welcome and good luck on your trailer search. Keep us posted.
Phil
Old 05-07-2014, 08:43 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hi and Welcome to the group

Unfortunately you are located in about the highest price area for FGRV's on the planet. I even had a San Jose area buyer drive all the way to SoCal to buy a 10 y.o. 13' Scamp for $10K as it was considered a "Good Buy".

And a Eggcamper or a Parkliner for that price will be extra difficult until the end of the season in September, if even then.

But, as you have learned, he who hesitates will miss out.
Good Luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #5

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
Welcome!

Welcome Ed,

There are deals to be had, even here in NorCal! Just be patient and persistent on the sites. As all of us can attest, once you own an egg...you seem to spot more of them in locations near and far.

I'm pretty happy with my UHaul. I was able to negotiate a fair price before I left and when I got there found that negotiating was still necessary. Don't be afraid to walk away from some of the "deals" to...There's some junk out there.

I looked for five years for a moulded FG camper. I originally was interested in a 17' Burro, then a teardrop but in the end, so glad with my choice. It beats the pop up by a long shot! I feel much safer in my FGRV when boondocking!

I also think you're searching at peak season, give it a few months and the deals will materialize.

Best of Luck in your search!
luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #6

California
Thanks for the warm welcomes and advice- Dave, Bob, Phil, and Vanessa. I'm very interested in attending a get together or rally so I can feast my eyes on the assortment of eggs out there. I only see one rally listed on the West Coast right now, Washington, but I am sure there must be at least one in Norcal each year I assume. What about dealers? Are there any on West Coast that sell FGRVs?

Thanks for all the advice,
Ed
Old 05-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggomaniac View Post
Thanks for the warm welcomes and advice- Dave, Bob, Phil, and Vanessa. I'm very interested in attending a get together or rally so I can feast my eyes on the assortment of eggs out there. I only see one rally listed on the West Coast right now, Washington, but I am sure there must be at least one in Norcal each year I assume. What about dealers? Are there any on West Coast that sell FGRVs?

Thanks for all the advice,
Ed
Most FGRV builders don't have a dealer network and sell factory direct. Add to that at least a 25-50% mark-up at dealers for those few used units, and you will see that they rate low on the interest list hereabouts.

Several useful sources include watching this site 2 times a day, Craigslist.org and Other Fiberglass Trailers - US | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Now, if you are only considering an Eggcamper or a Parkliner, as so very few of them have been built, your search will be very difficult.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:29 PM   #9

California
Thanks for the link Carl. That's awesome- There is a new Trillium 20 minutes away from me! I think I just need to sit inside one of these eggs and get my head wrapped around the idea of owning one. I need to cement my obsession and I think seeing a new one in person will certainly give me the bug. Sounds like the Trillium would be a good starting point of reference as well to compare as everyone seems to LOVE Trilliums on this board.
Bob, I totally get what you're saying about availability. I guess I should have stated my goal as a "wish list". I'm sure I'll be like most people and need to make a few compromises if a deal pops up. I guess my main concern is having a bed that is long enough.

Oh, I mistyped my height in the first email. I'm 6'3", not 6'5". So far I've figured out that the Eggcamper and Parkliner are high roof and wide body (76-77 inside height and Queen size bed length. If anyone knows of other high ceiling models I am ALL EARS.

Cheers,
Ed
Old 05-09-2014, 07:36 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Lil Snoozy is made to fit tall people. Ours is being pulled from the mould right now.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #11

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
ParkLiner would fit the bill, but I doubt you would find one under 15 grand.

Best of luck to ya!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Lil Snoozy is made to fit tall people. Ours is being pulled from the mould right now.
Dave & Paula
Woo Hoo!!!
Good for you (all).

Congratulations on your new adventures.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote