Hello, from Santa Rosa, Ca. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2017, 06:59 PM   #1

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Hello, from Santa Rosa, Ca.

Thank you for the forum. My wife and I, recently retired, have just ordered a 13' Scamp with toilet options. We are excited about our new venture, unfortunately, delivery not until 9/25/17. We do however plan to drive from our home 70 miles north of San Francisco, via Lander Wyoming, where our Son and lovely wife and 2 yr old granddaughter live. We can take our time and hope to enjoy some new country. Never been to Minnesota.

I am retired from Cardiology, as an ultrasound tech, for the past 35 yrs. Cheryl worked as a medical records coder. We live with Mick, a wonderful Beagle!

Look forward to gaining much knowledge and new friends here..

Mark
MK Evenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:25 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hello, from Santa Rosa, Ca.

Welcome, Mark and Cheryl! That sounds like a wonderful trip, and fall is a great season to travel. Congratulations on the new Scamp!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:26 PM   #3

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Welcome

Hey Mark,
Welcome to the forum, although frustrating at times the wait will be worth it. If you just follow some of the discussions it's surprising how much you'll pick up. Again welcome and I'm sure you are going to love your Scamp and the opportunities it will afford you. Peace
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:39 PM   #4

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Welcome fellow Northern California folks! Speaking from experience, the wait and the drive are totally worth it! We had a great trip from Minnesota through South Dakota, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada and home to California, We received our new 13' Scamp in fall of 20011 and have enjoyed camping, off and on since. We are sooooo glad we ordered a new trailer as we could enjoy it right away without thinking of any repairs or modifications.

Now, since I love to sew, decorating was another matter! If you do a "search" on this forum and put in my name "Gilda" you will find mostly posts about "Glamping". Following are some photos to get your ideas going! Minimally, I like to have curtain side panels with matching pillowcases. Additionally, I like to have four-footed "critters" with me. Maximally, I create lots of storage solutions, coordinating bedspreads, spare wheel covers and "picnic tablescapes" (and much more). My advice, keep it simple and functional to start. Add the fun stuff as you go (but not too much stuff). If you really get into glamping, as I have, you will have a themed decor for each trip. For example; autumn leaves, desert sun, winecountry tastings, alaska pioneer, etc., etc.

I would suggest that you bring a twin/full size foam mattress-topper on your first trip as sleeping on the hard cushions is not comfortable. You can cut the foam with a "bread knife" or a large serrated knife. I also suggest you bring some "Reflectix" (mylar bubble wrap you can get at the hardware store) to cut to size with scissors to fit in the windows and ceiling "skylights". This blocks out the light and insulates the trailer. I would only use these as temporary solutions as you can make better mattress pads and window "shades" as you can see in previous postings.

Enjoy the anticipation and enjoy the journey to come!
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Southwest Decor 2013 009.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 042.jpg  

Doug's art and Scamp 029.jpg   Doug's art and Scamp 026.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:56 AM   #5

Name: Alice
Trailer: 16 'Scamp Trailer
California
Great to "meet" you!!

Hi I'm super new to FBRV. I ordered a 16' Scamp and plan to go get it in mid July. I must have ordered before you did. I live just south of SF on the peninsula and work at Stanford SOM in the dept of Radiology as Manager of the Residency and Fellowship program, so we have something in common. I only have about another year till retirement though (OMG, its stressful around here) and that has everything to do with my ordering the Scamp.

Gilda sounds like a great resource to talk to. Have you been talking to her more?

So glad to meet you.
Alice
AliceGardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:39 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Alice! A Scamp 16 is a wonderful retirement present to yourself! You have a little time to take shorter trips and get used to all the RV systems before you hit the road in earnest. Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:12 PM   #7

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Thank you all

Just got back to this post. Sorry for the delay! Thank you all for your welcome and sound advice. I have been collecting some stuff already, why wait?
Hope you all enjoy end of winter and early spring.
Cheryl and I , and MICK, ( the beagle) , are driving to Lander Wyoming this coming Monday. Our grand daughter's 2yr old BD.

Mark and Cheryl
MK Evenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:21 PM   #8

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Mark and Cheryl,

Welcome! Congratulations on the soon to be yours Scamp! Many great adventures await you.

Wishing you the best,

Dean
Old 02-06-2017, 06:23 PM   #9

Name: Kim
Trailer: Uhaul
California
Registry
Welcome Alice! We are just across from you in Alameda. We have a 15' Escape, not retired entirely yet (one school-aged kid to go), but are out and about a lot camping in the area. Hope to see you around. We have been to a couple of rallies now, which is a wonderful way to meet new friends - and learn a lot. Kim
California Bay Area
kkinna is offline   Reply With Quote