Hello from Sask Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2016, 01:55 PM   #1

Name: Boyd
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Hello from Sask Canada

New 1974 Trillium owner(s) here.

We actually bought a 72 Boler last year in a better than ok shape and my wife and I and our 2 boys used it for the season. But just recently a very well kept Trillium came up for sale in our area. Basically untouched since it left the factory. But it was kept outside all these years. We looked it over and decided to take a chance and buy it.

We listed our Boler for sale (sadly) and 2 days later it was sold . Sad to see it go, but we are excited about the new Trillium now.

It needs a bit of updating and some general maintenance. Right away we will change the tires/rims, repack the bearings, make sure the electrical works, recover the cushions and a few other general maintenance things. BUT after all that it should be ready to roll! Anything I'm missing?

Glad this forum exists. Thanks to everyone here for all the valuable information you provide.
DaCaDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:34 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCaDad View Post
New 1974 Trillium owner(s) here.

We actually bought a 72 Boler last year in a better than ok shape and my wife and I and our 2 boys used it for the season. But just recently a very well kept Trillium came up for sale in our area. Basically untouched since it left the factory. But it was kept outside all these years. We looked it over and decided to take a chance and buy it.

We listed our Boler for sale (sadly) and 2 days later it was sold . Sad to see it go, but we are excited about the new Trillium now.

It needs a bit of updating and some general maintenance. Right away we will change the tires/rims, repack the bearings, make sure the electrical works, recover the cushions and a few other general maintenance things. BUT after all that it should be ready to roll! Anything I'm missing?

Glad this forum exists. Thanks to everyone here for all the valuable information you provide.
Welcome to FGRV Boyd, sounds like you've got the basics covered. You didn't mention the furnace or refer working.....I like cold beer myself .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:02 AM   #3

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
Hello , Have you checked for propane leaks with a soapy water solution . looked for damage to the lines under the trailer? Most of the original copper lines will be brittle or kinked after all this time .
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:12 AM   #4

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Aside from brushing on soapy water where propane line connects at tank, where else to you brush it on? Also what ratio of dish soap to water is recommended? Finally is the propane test done with tank turned on or off?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:53 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hello from Sask Canada

To test everything, you do a "drop test." That involves pressurizing the whole system with a gauge attached and leaving it for a period of time to make sure it maintains pressure. It's the same test your gas company requires on your house before they let the gas flow.

If I were planning to attach a tank and turn on propane to any new-to-me trailer, I would absolutely do this test first. Or better, have it done by a qualified LP tech. With an older trailer, they will do a visual inspection of all the components to make sure there have been no substandard modifications by a previous owner.

Money well spent, in my opinion.

The soapy water test covers the tank screw-on connection, the only leak point not included in the drop test because they disconnect the tank to pressurize the system. Tank on, don't sweat the exact ratio, as long as stirring makes some bubbles.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:28 AM   #6

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Tank on... Gas turned on right? I have one of those propane gauges scamp sells (Gas Glo?) screwed into my tank. Other than that not sure what pressurize system means other than forcing air through it? Bubbles at connection with gas on or off?

CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:11 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Hope you can make it to the Prairie Egg Gathering in July.

"Manitou & District Regional Park at Watrous Saskatchewan July 14 – 17th 2016
Manitou Regional Park & Campground
BOOK EARLY! This is a very busy park.
We have reserved a block of sites at the campground.
Everyone is responsible for BOOKING THEIR OWN SITE
Regional sticker – $45.00 or
Day pass - $5.00 FEE for stay of 7 day or less
Camping - $27.00 for 1st trailer / 2nd or 3rd trailer - $20.00.
All bookings have to be confirmed by June 1, 2016, or the sites will be rebooked. BOOK NOW
Cancellation is 48 hrs prior to arrival date.
Bookings under “Prairie Egg Gathering” can be done at any time.
The booking office is opened all seasons. Leave a message and someone will return your call."
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:01 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hello from Sask Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Tank on... Gas turned on right? I have one of those propane gauges scamp sells (Gas Glo?) screwed into my tank. Other than that not sure what pressurize system means other than forcing air through it? Bubbles at connection with gas on or off?

Sorry, wasn't clear. Connect the hose to the tank, tighten it up, and turn on the gas valve at the tank. Put some water in a cup and add a little dish detergent. I swirl my finger to make sure it will make bubbles. Apply liberally around the connection and watch for any bubbles formed by escaping gas. If you see bubbles, tighten the connection and try again.

The part about pressurizing the system, etc., is part of a "drop test" to make sure there aren't any leaks in the rest of the LP plumbing and appliances. Unless you have training and experience, best leave that one to a technician.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote