Hello from South Carolina - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Love Bug
South Carolina
Registry
Hello from South Carolina

Hi, I'm Lisa and I originally joined this group last October when it looked like we would be getting the neighbors' old Love Bug. The elderly couple were all set to give us the camper and then the wife had a change of heart. Now they are moving and have offered us the camper again, since their grown children do not want it. We are in high hopes that we will be getting it this weekend!!

I'm new to owning a camper, and this one is a mold-infested nightmare. Still, I'm fully prepared to purchase a fitted respirator and start work on her. I'm looking forward to any tips or information anyone can provide on this particular camper, as well as whatever information I can glean on restoring her to her former glory. I've named her "Baby" because she's been stuck in the corner of the neighbors' yard for 25 years, and you know, no one puts Baby in the corner.

lisa
Old 09-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Good luck! I hope that you get the trailer this time around. While it may seem like a lot of work to rehab, you will find it a labor of love.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #3

Trailer: Bambi
Lots of Work But Worth It.

Lisa,

I am a new FB trailer owner and I can tell you mine was and still to some point is a mess but I can hardly wait until it's ready to use. I sprayed over a gallon of pest killer in it the first 3 days I owned it. Between that and the rotten floor, a huge mess.
BUT.......Hang in there, you and "Baby" will be glad you did!

This is a very helpful crowd. Lots of great info here for fixing it up.
JD
Jane D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #4

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Looking forward to the photos of Baby!
Old 09-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #5

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Love Bug
South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
Looking forward to the photos of Baby!
Thanks! I plan on photographing the entire overhaul process. I have taken some preliminary photos of Baby that are in my album Lisasgirl. She looks even worse now because vines have begun creeping up her tires. Things grow super fast in the SC heat and humidity. I can't wait to rescue her!

lisa
Old 09-11-2011, 05:20 AM   #6

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Here's hoping you and Baby will have a great time together. Sometimes the apparent damage is just a need for cleaning (and getting rid of mold and Kudzu) and other times it is structural. Check the floor very carefully before you start any other major repairs as that seems to be the place most old FGRVs suffer worst from improper storage. While inspecting the floor, frame and axle concerns should also be addressed.

Airing out and drying the camper's interior by parking it open in bright sunlight seems to help a lot, of course, and a strong bleach solution should help out on the mold and the musty smell it brings. Since it should still be possible to warm and dry out your new Baby naturally in SC at this time of year, that will put you ahead of the game. Once it's clean and solid, then you can fix it up the way you want it to make it all your own. Congratulations!

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:23 AM   #7

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Greetings from the Foothills of SC....glad to see another Palmetto Stater in the group.

Doubtless you'll have a gem once she's complete.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #8

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
Love bug rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisasgirl View Post
Thanks! I plan on photographing the entire overhaul process. I have taken some preliminary photos of Baby that are in my album Lisasgirl. She looks even worse now because vines have begun creeping up her tires. Things grow super fast in the SC heat and humidity. I can't wait to rescue her! lisa
Hi Lisa,
From your pictures, it looks like most important problem to solve is mildew. As you probably know, mildew is hazardous to health and must be eliminated before you can use the bug. You say you don't know why it ended up that bad. I suspect lack of ventilation, continuous exposure to a damp environment, or both. SC weather conditions are similar to marine environment. Such problems are common on sailboats.

Have a look at http://www.acbsphl.org/Tips_and_hint...nd_removal.htm

Suggestions: First, check for industrial strenght mildew removal product, such as MoldOFF.com, which is much safer to use than common bleach based mold removal chemicals. Periodic maintenance with good old white vinegar solution helps. It is so extensive that you will have clean into every cavity, not just what shows. If cost of cleaning solution is a big problem you may use an alternate method based on lithium hypochlorite (close relative to domestic bleach, but less dangerous to handle): http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/boating/31487

All this work is useless if you don't make sure to leave the roof vent and a window open at all times (except on the road). It is only possible if you have a RV vent cover that will keep rain from getting in with your vent opened. If you don't have AC, some dome vent with ventilator may be useful.

Make sure you don't have leaks from windows that create en entry point that ends up percolating inside.

You have quite a labor of love into your hands !

Good luck !
Old 09-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #9

Name: Kim
Trailer: 2012 Casita 17' SD (on order)
Alabama
Good for you for giving her a deserving home! Good luck with your project - sounds like fun!

Kim
Kimbopolo is offline   Reply With Quote