Hello from Southern California - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-25-2014, 08:43 PM   #1

Name: Brant
Trailer: Hunter I
California
Registry
Thumbs up Hello from Southern California

Hi! After owning two vintage canned hams in a row and attending trailer rallies here in California my wife and I and our kids are ready to GO GLASS- Third times the charm. I have been cruising the web and have been using your site as part of my education. I also was very currious as to what type of axel and suspenion set ups were and are being offered by different Mfg's. I will be purchasing a trailer here in the next month and will post pics at that time. This site has been very helpful in my pre purchase research. Looking forward to some camping this Spring and Summer. Awesome site guys and gals! Great Comunity page!!
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Welcome to the group....

There are two common suspensions, rubber torsion axles and a few with leaf springs.
If you are looking for a used rig, the torsion style have to be checked very carefully for settling, i.e. riding very low. This usually sets in at about the 10th-15th year depending on use and abuse. This isn't a fixable problem and calls for an entire new
axle assy

Why don't you give us a bit more information about what you are looking for and we
can provide additional feedback.

Gotta tell you though, even here in SoCal, where there are a lot to look at, planning on buying a specific year/make/length, within a month might take a bit of luck.

You are welcome to come out to Riverside to see my Hunter Compact-II, but it is definitely to small for more than two adults unless the kids prefer tenting.

Good Luck Hunting

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:28 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
to the Forum Brant.
Glad you have joined us. As you
have already found out there are
lots of friendly and informed people here.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #4

California
Registry
Thnak you for the welcome Guys,

Yes I have read through some threads regarding the issues and replacement of torsion axels here on the site and have that on my check list while looking at used trailers as the Scamp and Burro both have the torsion and that is what we have been drawn to due to the bunk bed set up for our small children.

However the Compact Jr. and Hunter is what first got me to turn my eye twords fiberglass in the first place. It has been awhile since I've peeked inside one and would love to see yours sometimes Bob. I have only been looking for about a month and have not seen the exact trailer that said pull the trigger, but hope to soon. Bob could you tell me what the floor lenght from under the the front bed to the rear door is? I have slept on the floor in my trailer in the past when the beds were filled with the wife and kids and was just wondering if it was possible in the Hunter?

Thanks everyone! I have been able to find a answer for almost all my questions with a quick search through the past threads. Looking forward to owning a trailer again soon.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
... could you tell me what the floor length from under the the front bed to the rear door is?
I measured my Compact Jr's floor to be 9' 6" from front-to-back.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:11 PM   #6

Hunter Compact-II Dimensions

Entry door to front bench = 92"
Entry door to edge of bed when made up = 55"

There was an option on the Hunter Compact-II for childs bunkbeds along the right side in lieu of the refrigerator location and, course no bathroom. I've have seen one pic of that arrangement, but never a real one. They were about 25" x 54"

Old 02-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #7

Here's a link to some pics of my Hunter Compact-II

Hunter Compact II Photos by advocateone | Photobucket
Send me a PM to arrange a visit to take a look if you would like. Needless to say, this weekend will not be a good time.....

Old 04-04-2014, 09:14 AM   #8

California
Registry
So I purchased a extremely clean and original 1974 Hunter I . I brought her home and went to town with cleaning and detail. Did the bar keepers friend and zep wet look process to the exterior and it looks great. New tires and hub caps today along with a new propane tank and battery up front and she will be out and about this weekend to enjoy it and work out any bugs. I'll be attending the King City rally in May!!!
Old 04-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #9

Great News Bryant
If you are even near Riverside drop me a line and come by and we can share notes. I've got lots of spare stuff laying around that you may be able to use as well.
If you missed it, my photobucket link is in post #7.

BTW: Where did you find it?

Old 04-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
we would love to see photos
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #11

California
Registry
Thank you Bob. I found it on craigslist and it was located in Downy CA . I will post pic when I'm on a computer and not my phone.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #12

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
Quote:
.............I'll be attending the King City rally in May!!!
As been said above, Welcome aboard. So when are you headed up to King City? I'm in Palmdale and will be up there. If all goes well, we'll be going up Thursday. Maybe we can convoy up together. I too come from teardrops and vintage 'caned hams'. Going to the 'Pismo South' vintage trailer rally next weekend in Mission Bay.
gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Thank you Bob. I found it on craigslist and it was located in Downy CA . I will post pic when I'm on a computer and not my phone.
In Downey and on C/L???? How did I miss that one????

That makes you double lucky!

Old 04-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #14

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome to the Forum Brant.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:11 PM   #15

California
Registry
Thanks to everyone for the welcome. To Gage I will not be able to attend the Misson Bay rally due to work but will be leaving for the King City rally that Friday morning around 10am