Hello from Tennessee - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2016, 08:44 PM   #1

Name: Nancy
Trailer: In the Market
Tennessee
Hello from Tennessee

Hello all. I found this site a few months back, joined today and want to introduce myself. My husband Ken is a retired fireman and I am a yet to retire old fart nurse. We owned a diesel pusher for a short time a few years ago; a few stints with tent camping; other than that we are real newbies. Wanting to travel this great country some when I retire so starting the search. We ruled out motor-homes and 5th wheels. In searching trailers we like what we've read so far about the fiberglass trailers. But to make sure this is the way we want to go; we are planning on renting a TT for a least a week long trip in the near future. We do both ride our own motorcycles and have taken lots of trips on them....even up into Canada but except for camping one week while on the bikes in upper state New York always stayed in hotels. We don't want to do the hotel thing when retire and travel for lots of reasons. Not riding the bikes as much as we used to so depending on where we are going will our thinking is.... sometimes take the bikes; sometimes not.

Hoping to glean info from you fine folks and hoping perhaps we can visit/meet some of you at a rally or two sometime. Sorry if this is a too long intro.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:12 PM   #2

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Nancy and Ken,

WELCOME! I think going to a rally is a great idea. Laura and I visited a rally in October, '15 wanting to check out fiberglass trailers thinking we might buy one in four years after our youngest graduated from college. After the rally, we bought our new to us Casita the next month in November!!! We started camping in late March and we currently have 20 nights under our belts. We are empty nest newbies!

What would you like in terms of a trailer?

Where are you from in Tennessee? Laura and I lived in Memphis for 5 years. My parents lived in rural west TN for 25 years. My brother lives just south of Memphis, so we travel there often. Plus, we love the Great Smoky Mountain National Park and visit on a regular basis. We are in Bowling Green, KY.

Look forward to hearing more about your plans.

Take care,

Dean
Old 06-20-2016, 06:40 AM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Good morning Nancy and Ken. There is a fiberglass rally scheduled for October 6 - 9 in the LBL area this year, you can find more info in the rallies section on this site. Would strongly suggest you check it out so that you can go inside many different types to see what suits you.

We are still about 9 years from retirement, but went ahead and ordered a new Escape 19 about this time last year, and our build date is rapidly approaching (August 3rd). You are welcome to come see it sometime if you are in middle Tennessee.

At first we just knew that we wanted either a 17 foot Casita or Scamp or Escape, and actually initially ordered an Escape 17B, but after being in several different ones, we decided that the 19 was the one for us and changed our order. So actually being in different ones is important.

Good luck to you in your search.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:04 AM   #4

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi,

Greg is right. There is no substitute for walking through rigs. It was the Land Between the Lakes Rally in October, '15 that led Laura and I to buying our Casita the next month!

You should consider attending the rally this fall. We stayed in a rustic cabin on the same loop as the rally. Met lots of wonderful folks.

The rally convinced me that FG rigs were the way to go. I think we would have been happy with any number of FG rigs. We missed out on a used '03 Scamp Deluxe and ended up with an '05 Casita Freedom Deluxe. We love the Casita, but would have been perfectly happy with the Scamp, I believe.

Our Must Haves were:

1. A bathroom.
2. A designated bed.

Strong preference was:

1. A place to sit other than the designated bed.

The Casita provides all this and much more.

Take care,

Dean
Old 06-20-2016, 09:14 AM   #5

Name: Lapsley
Trailer: currently saving for an Oliver
Tennessee
Hello. I live in East Tennessee and am a retired health care provider.
Been motorcycling about 45 years and in fact just rode to Hohenwald Tennessee to tour the Oliver Travel Trailer plant. Aspiring to own one this year.
Laps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:32 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
And yet ANOTHER Tennessean here.

Laps, You probably came near my territory here in Columbia, TN. during your visit to Oliver. We're about 30 min from the Oliver plant. Without a doubt, I say the Oliver is the FINEST FG camper on the road even topping the "Big Foot". Airstream will have their hands full topping it. Although, they ARE offering I believe the 15' "Nest Caravan" to which they purchased to compete in the FG arena. So the size may provide them a niche in the "Elite" small FG world.

I've been privileged to meet Dean (at the Piney Rally) and "Greg & Teresa" who came over to view our 13' Scamp and ask general FG questions.

This is a great Forum and a great group of people with lots of knowledge and experience that NO salesman can ever top.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:35 AM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
And yet ANOTHER Tennessean here.

Laps, You probably came near my territory here in Columbia, TN. during your visit to Oliver. We're about 30 min from the Oliver plant. Without a doubt, I say the Oliver is the FINEST FG camper on the road even topping the "Big Foot". Airstream will have their hands full topping it. Although, they ARE offering I believe the 15' "Nest Caravan" to which they purchased to compete in the FG arena. So the size may provide them a niche in the "Elite" small FG world.

I've been privileged to meet Dean (at the Piney Rally) and "Greg & Teresa" who came over to view our 13' Scamp and ask general FG questions.

This is a great Forum and a great group of people with lots of knowledge and experience that NO salesman can ever top.
Yes I drove through Columbia on the way to Hohenwald. Looking forward to gleaming lots of info from this forum and seems to be a very well done web site.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:03 AM   #8

Name: Pamela
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Tennessee
Another Tennessee Newby

Hello all,
Have been dreaming and looking for a FT for years after decades of tent camping in my earlier life. Finally bought one last night from some terrific folks in my neck of the woods. It is a 16' Scamp with side dinette posted on this site yesterday. Was waiting until the end of summer to purchase but changed the schedule because this one was so close……I try to listen to events as they happen……This was easy…..
Perhaps we will meet up somewhere soon……

Pamela
2008 Scamp Standard 16'
BMW X3
Palindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:10 AM   #9

Tennessee
Nice to be meeting all these people from Tennessee here on my first visit!
Old 06-20-2016, 11:13 AM   #10

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
I see you're being well-welcomed to FGRV, and will add our welcome, too!

Paul and Kathleen from Renton, WA
(Kai in Seattle)
Old 06-20-2016, 11:15 AM   #11

Tennessee
I agree……
Who knew there would be so many like-minded adventurers nearby…..

I seriously considered an Oliver…They are so beautiful…..But saving for an Oliver and a Tow Vehicle was not as appealing……Maybe next time…..
Old 06-20-2016, 11:16 AM   #12

Tennessee
I've been researching Olivers the past 4 months, the visit to the factory sealed it for me. But, I already have a nice tow vehicle, and yes I'll be having to re arrange funds accordingly before I take the leap on the Oliver.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #13

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
NancyandKen,

I too live in Tennessee, South of Lebanon about 17 miles or so, near the TN Superspeedway (no longer in business) off of I- 840. I invite you to stop by and take a look at our 2013 17' Spirit Deluxe. Casita is the way to go.

The Oliver floor plan is the same as my Casita, just add about 2' in the middle. It does have an inner and outer shell and is well made. But IMO is not worth more than double the price.

The Big Foot and Escape are made in Canada and it is hard to find one to look at unless you attend a FG rally. Then you have to go to Western Canada to pick it up, and where do you get it repaired when needed? Many RV shops will work on a Casita, partially because there are so many around.

We will be traveling a bit this summer, but let me know and maybe we can get together.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:28 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Appliances are covered by the manufacturer and they have service centres all over North America.
The Escape trailer itself ( I presume the same for Bigfoot ), if it requires a repair, can be taken to an RV shop near you after making arrangements with Escape.
This is not an issue.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:12 PM   #15

Tennessee
Thanks for all the replies and welcomes.

Dean and some others that may have asked.....we live in northwest TN about 80 miles north of Memphis across from the Missouri boothill, city of Dyersburg.

We noticed the rally at the LBL which is about a 2-2 and one half hour from our home and will see about getting one of those premative cabins to come and meet/greet.

Rz.....we would love the opportunity to see your Casita as we have never seen any of these fiberglass rvs in person.

Since we are in TN we do plan to make a trip at some point to Hohenwald to tour the Oliver plant. We are still in the looking/planning stages and not commited to anything yet. Like the Oliver but it is pricey so definitely want to look at all the fg trailers before settling on one.
Again, thanks for all the welcomes. This forum seems so nice, all willing to let folks tour their trailers etc.....just like TN 'the volunteer state'.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:25 PM   #16

Tennessee
I wanted to add we already have a tow vehicle so we will pretty much be good to go for a trailer. Told hubby let's try to go in Oct to the LBL rally and drive the truck so we can get any opinons on it. I'm not a good one for knowing all the facts about trucks/engine sizes etc.....but we have a ram truck 4x4 that I think the motor size is 5.2L? or something like that and already has hitch. I know the 4x4 feature is selectable-2wd, 4wd all time or somekind of deal where it you can set it to engage the 4wd if there is slippage or something like that. Hubbie tries to explain to me and I just say, okay.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #17

Tennessee
I am about halfway between Nashville and Chattanooga, 9 miles west of Hwy. 24. Tour seekers are welcome. Although I don't have much knowledge or experience regarding the Scamp, I am happy to provide the opportunity to acquaint yourself with a 16' side dinette, front bathroom Scamp…..
Old 06-20-2016, 01:30 PM   #18

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
It is an issue around here. I talked to some of the local RV dealers before I chose Casita, over Big Foot and Escape. A couple said no thanks. Also it takes time to make arrangements, even with Casita, and the RV dealers will put you at the back of the Que.

My point is that when on the road you should not count on getting it fixed where you are located. If you get lucky and find a place right off, great. This is one reason to carry a spare set of bearings that fit your rig.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:31 PM   #19

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
This might be a good thread to mention the Egg Camping club of Georgia, Tennessee and Alabama. Check out their website. The Egg Camping Club of Georgia, Tennessee, & Alabama Forums.

It was at one of their local camping trips that we first set foot in an Escape 19.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:36 PM   #20

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palindrome View Post
I am about halfway between Nashville and Chattanooga, 9 miles west of Hwy. 24. Tour seekers are welcome. Although I don't have much knowledge or experience regarding the Scamp, I am happy to provide the opportunity to acquaint yourself with a 16' side dinette, front bathroom Scamp…..
We have a son and daughternlaw that live in Calhoun, GA. Sometimes when we are going to see the grandkids might pm to see if can stop by or are u going to LBL?

BTW all - just made us a reservation to go to the LBL in October, got a cabin in the Shortleaf loop...all the trailer sits gone and think only one cabin left. See any of you that may be coming there. Look forward to meeting folks.