Hello from the Bluegrass State - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-20-2016, 09:37 AM   #1

Name: Katherine
Trailer: currently shopping
Kentucky
Hello from the Bluegrass State

My name is Katherine, and I am shopping for a small, vintage fiberglass trailer that I can pull with my 2011 Mini Cooper JCW convertible. I've ordered the hitch from OutMotoring; research indicated that 200 lb tongue weight and 1,400 lbs would work with my car. I want to keep it lighter so as not to take too much risk.

I would rather get a Fiberglass trailer than a Teardrop. Teardrops do not inspire me. I'll be looking at the Compact II shown in the attached photos later this week. I read that they were originally designed to be pulled by a VW, so the weight should be ok. Sadly, this Compact II is missing the cool metal window shield, and I am currently unsure what other work would need to be done. The last Compact II that I looked at was in miserable shape and not on its original frame, which concerned me. Since I have not yet seen in person the Compact II shown in the photos, I do not know much about it, but am looking forward to the adventure ahead, if I can work out a deal.

I am thankful for this forum, and also how-to-do-whatever type videos on YouTube. My father was a home builder/land developer, who taught me how to drive a nail, but I never bothered to ask to learn more. I assume that I will need to gut this Compact II, so will be pouring over postings in this forum to get advice in the coming weeks!

Thanks!

Katherine

Click image for larger version

Name:	Compact2front.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	306.3 KB
ID:	93570

Click image for larger version

Name:	Compact2back.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	93571
KGUParis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:27 AM   #2

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Katherine
Welcome to the forum and good luck on your search.
With your weight limits I think you'll be successful only on older 13' models. I don't think anything made today is that light.
Let us know how it goes.

Walt
Old 03-21-2016, 09:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Hi from Louisville.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:06 AM   #4

Name: Charles
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Hi Katherine. I would highly question pulling a fiberglass camper of any size with a mini car like the Cooper. Remember that the stated capacity has to include all your gear, supplies and people. Braking would be suspect, and you have to be really careful on the geometry of weight on the rear affecting your CV joints in the front. If you have warranty you could void it as well.
bookernoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Mini Cooper trailer

I have a 13Scamp which I pull with a Jeep Cherokee 6 . I also have a Miata , which pulls a Kompact Kamp ( motorcycle trailer ) .l'd never attempt to pull my Scamp with the Miata . You'd be in the same boat trying to pull a fiberglass that size . If you want to use the Cooper , you'll have to look at something smaller & lighter , like a motorcycle trailer . Check out the Bunk House trailer .It would would be much cheaper , also . Otherwise , I'd be looking at a larger tow vehicle . Don't count on a car salesperson to give you a true picture of towing cap..
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:04 PM   #6

Kentucky
Hmmmm

Interesting comments, especially considering the timing. A good friend of mine just had an accident pulling a horse trailer and she's been pulling trailers since a teenager. I've no experience in pulling trailers at all, and cancelled my hitch order this morning because I was worried about flipping my car if a trailer lost control...which would mean I'd be in bad shape given that my Mini is a convertible.
So, I will look into smaller options for a trailer once I get my confidence back...or a larger tow vehicle so that I can still pursue a fiberglass trailer. I am an Egg fan and would love to have a Boler one day!
Old 03-21-2016, 02:09 PM   #7

Kentucky
Jimp: I just looked at the Bunkhouse trailers and they look like a good solution!
Old 03-21-2016, 03:52 PM   #8

Name: Charles
Trailer: Casita
Florida
I pull a 2500lb Casita with a Honda Pilot, and it does ok. Generally, though, rear wheel drive, and a live axle in the rear is where comfy towing begins. Always figure at least 500 lbs in additional gear, water, etc. Short wheel base can make it very scary in a braking event. Good luck on your search.
bookernoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:57 PM   #9

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Charles
That's well within the towing capacity of even a 2wd Pilot, so it should do fine.

How about updating your profile, since you now have a trailer?

Walt
Old 03-21-2016, 06:46 PM   #10

Illinois
Mini Cooper trailer

Since you found the Bunk House appealing , also look at the Kompact Kamp (Mini Mate , new name , I believe ) & the Liesure Lite . Both are big fans of biker campers . I've had 2 of the 3 listed , as I pulled both with a Goldwing .
Old 03-21-2016, 06:53 PM   #11

Illinois
Mini

Additional info -- Unless alone I'd opt for the Bunk House or Leisure Lite , as the Mini Mate is ,in my opinion , to small for 2 people . For just myself , I love it !
Old 03-21-2016, 08:22 PM   #12

Kentucky
I'll likely be alone, except for my cat!
Old 03-21-2016, 10:28 PM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGUParis View Post
Interesting comments, especially considering the timing. A good friend of mine just had an accident pulling a horse trailer and she's been pulling trailers since a teenager. I've no experience in pulling trailers at all, and cancelled my hitch order this morning because I was worried about flipping my car if a trailer lost control...which would mean I'd be in bad shape given that my Mini is a convertible.
So, I will look into smaller options for a trailer once I get my confidence back...or a larger tow vehicle so that I can still pursue a fiberglass trailer. I am an Egg fan and would love to have a Boler one day!
You may want to look into the HC1 trailer. The company, Happier Camper, pulls some units to rallies with a Mini Cooper.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:35 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hello from the Bluegrass State

I believe Happier Camper uses the larger Countryman model, and it's still not rated to tow that size trailer. The HC1 is no lighter than most basic 13'ers.

An often overlooked, moderately sporty, reliable, and tow-rated option for a small egg trailer is a Mazda CX-5. It's a pity the larger engine isn't available with a stick shift...

But if you want to keep your Mini, a motorcycle trailer or small teardrop would be best. Weight is not the only issue- you want something with a low profile.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #15

Kentucky
Thank you Jon for this. I've been giving Teardrops another look, mainly because I am a fan of the retro look of vintage trailers.