Hello from the Florida Space Coast! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #1

Name: Mae
Trailer: Currently shopping
Florida
Hello from the Florida Space Coast!

Our family of 3 has been in the market for a camper for the past few weeks. Specifically a Casita or even a Skamp, problem is they are hard to come by (used) in this area. The closest we have come has been the back up buyer. Oh well, it is what it is...End of summer will start to look more aggressively even if that means traveling out of state for one or (gasp) maybe even buying a new one?

Looking forward to learning more on this terrific forum,

Mae
Maezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:43 PM   #2

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Mae, make sure you check Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale | Fiberglass RV's For Sale and the two Casita forums (Casita Club, and Casita Forum), as well as here. There have been a few Florida Casitas for sale listed recently; some may well be current.

And remember to check regional (not just local) Craigs List daily. We lucked out back in May when I found a 2013 Casita on the New Hampshire CL that had not been advertised on any of the specialty websites, and we got in first (turns out there were eight behind us). But be aware of scams, especially for Scamps. If an ad sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Don't put money on anything without going to see it, or having someone you trust see it.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:05 PM   #3

Florida
Thanks for the heads up on alternative sale sites, will do!
We actually looked at a really terrific one this afternoon but we were second callers. Was almost embarrassing because we were clearly going to buy if the first buyer didn't and I'm pretty sure they felt the pressure!
Will start looking now!
Mae
Old 07-06-2016, 08:29 PM   #4

Name: Sally
Trailer: Scamp 19' Fifth Wheel
Florida
On the other coast...

We are in Fort Myers and have the Scamp 19. She isn't for sale but if you haven't seen one yet and will be in the area, we would love to show her to you.
SallyBEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:13 AM   #5

Florida
Ft Myers?

Hahaha, you would think we lived on Mars and you were on Jupiter! We hardly ever get to the west coast and I have no idea why?

But many thanks for your kind offer Sallybee, if we get over to your neck of the woods we surely will look you up and check out the Scamp.

Hubby was asking me what the difference is between the 2? As far as I know not much. But I reckon is a personal choice...We just both really like the idea and all the pros of the lightweight fiberglass.

Mae
Old 07-07-2016, 07:32 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Have you tried
Searchtempest
This will search all craigslist ads that fit your criteria
Be aware of scammers
And printout the buyers checklist from the document center on this forum
Also ck axles ( they can fail after yrs)... And if possible have the sellers turn in the frig prior to you visiting.... They take awhile to cool down ( between the frig & axle in my opinion these can be the mist expensive repairs
Enjoy the hunt fir your egg and good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:02 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You could start conversations with the sales folks at Scamp now. For one, they may be able to hook you up with a nearby owner who can let you have a first-hand look (they get a small bonus if you purchase, so it's a win-win). For another, last I checked, Scamp's deposit and cancellation policy is very liberal. A modest deposit secures your place in the build schedule, and it is refundable until they start your trailer. Meantime you can continue your search for a used unit into the fall. I heard recently they are now taking deposits for December build dates.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:36 AM   #8

Name: Sally
Trailer: Scamp 19' Fifth Wheel
Florida
Scamp Versus Casita

LOL.. we used to live on the East Coast of Florida and only came over to visit family! Now that we live on this side, we rarely go East!

Both Casita and Scamp are fiberglass but the floors are resin coated wood in the scamp and we liked that because in case of a leak the runoff has a place to go. I research everything to death and in our case, hubby agreed to a smaller rv if I was willing to look at a fifth wheel. I grew up with a 23 foot Frolic then a 31 foot Airstream and I knew that I wanted smaller. It comes down to walking into one and knowing that you are at home in that ONE!

In our case, we went to Scamp camp in Florida just to get some familiarity and hands on fun and ended up corresponding and meeting with someone who ended up putting theirs up for sale a week later on this site.They were fabulous and gave us first right to buy and we ended up buying her less than a week later and only 3 -5 years ahead of schedule.It was sheer luck. I have seen a Casita or two show up on Craigslist here and they always go quickly.

Just let us know if you want to roadtrip and come over to see her. You are always welcome!
SallyBEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #9

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
You could start conversations with the sales folks at Scamp now. For one, they may be able to hook you up with a nearby owner who can let you have a first-hand look (they get a small bonus if you purchase, so it's a win-win). For another, last I checked, Scamp's deposit and cancellation policy is very liberal. A modest deposit secures your place in the build schedule, and it is refundable until they start your trailer. Meantime you can continue your search for a used unit into the fall. I heard recently they are now taking deposits for December build dates.
If you contact Casita, they will also send you contact information for referral owners in your area.

I think that's true of all the factory-direct companies, like Escape, Oliver, Parkliner, etc.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #10

Florida
Looks like I ound the right place!

You folks are awesome and the camaraderie you share with newcomers is very refreshing, thanks for all the advice and tips!
On our way north (driving) to CT next week and will look up there, who knows I might get lucky?
Otherwise will keep my nose to grind and keep looking and learning.
Happy Camping!
Mae
Old 07-07-2016, 04:09 PM   #11

Name: Karen
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Space Coast

I hope this goes to right place. I am in Titusville area and have a 1997 13 ft if you would like to see.
Karen Havink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:43 PM   #12

Florida
Titusvlle is superclose to Mars!

Thanks Karen that would be fabulous, would love to see your camper!
We are in Merritt Island, just a hop skip and jump down the road from Titusville.

Fixin to leave on a month long road trip, return in August if that would be a good time? I'll shoot you a private message and we can swap numbers.

Mae (who has spent way too many hours on computer today looking at both Casita and Skamp campers although in my defense still mananged to get a yummy supper on....)
Old 07-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #13

Name: Debbie
Trailer: Casita Patriot
Florida
I live in Florida too

After actively searching for about three months, I finally found and purchased a 2016 Patriot on eBay. Although the condition wasn't what was advertised it was still worth it. I used a company called We Go Look. I would highly recommend using them or something like that if you are purchasing from out of state. I am very happy with my new camper!! Good luck in your search!
Debbie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #14

Name: Donna
Trailer: in the market
Florida
comparisons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maezie View Post
Thanks Karen that would be fabulous, would love to see your camper!
We are in Merritt Island, just a hop skip and jump down the road from Titusville.

Fixin to leave on a month long road trip, return in August if that would be a good time? I'll shoot you a private message and we can swap numbers.

Mae (who has spent way too many hours on computer today looking at both Casita and Skamp campers although in my defense still mananged to get a yummy supper on....)
I also am new into the FGRV market I do love the casita and skamp but I am really really head over heals for the lil snoozy. have only been around since 2011 I think but my parents went to nc for a trip and stopped in the factory for me and spoke with owner richard. I love the new upgrades made and an definitely saving for mine. 2016 is higher off the ground, holding tanks now not below the frame tail lights now incorporated into the trailer not sticking out, and a few other things i dont remember at the moment. may want to check them out also. no propane inside is not an issue for me as I cook outside anyway, but you can cook by electric burners or skillet inside.
annieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:45 PM   #15

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
You may want to visit the Snoozy factory in St Matthews SC, and the Parkliner just west of Fayetteville, NC. Both of them have a more highly engineered underside that reduces sway. The storage in the Parkliner in amazing! I went with the Snoozy as I am planning on turning the large basement into Cat Central. (I have 4 now! The 10 week old kitten was hand delivered- put inside the house and the door slammed shut about 3 weeks ago!)
Old 08-04-2016, 06:17 AM   #16

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by annieo View Post
I also am new into the FGRV market I do love the casita and skamp but I am really really head over heals for the lil snoozy. have only been around since 2011 I think but my parents went to nc for a trip and stopped in the factory for me and spoke with owner richard. I love the new upgrades made and an definitely saving for mine. 2016 is higher off the ground, holding tanks now not below the frame tail lights now incorporated into the trailer not sticking out, and a few other things i dont remember at the moment. may want to check them out also. no propane inside is not an issue for me as I cook outside anyway, but you can cook by electric burners or skillet inside.
Learn something new everyday, had not heard of this brand before... We also never cook inside camper so no propane is actually a plus. Although when we had our pop up the fridge was 3way and the propane sure was nice for that.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:30 AM   #17

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
You may want to visit the Snoozy factory in St Matthews SC, and the Parkliner just west of Fayetteville, NC. Both of them have a more highly engineered underside that reduces sway. The storage in the Parkliner in amazing! I went with the Snoozy as I am planning on turning the large basement into Cat Central. (I have 4 now! The 10 week old kitten was hand delivered- put inside the house and the door slammed shut about 3 weeks ago!)
Ooh the Parkliner has queen bed! So many choices, is a good thing! Now to go check out the Snoozy....
Old 08-04-2016, 06:48 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I was able to visit the Snoozy and Parkliner factory in the same day.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote