Hello from the Space coast of Fl. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #1

Name: Bruce
Trailer: ITM
Florida
Hello from the Space coast of Fl.

Hi everyone, recently retired from the fire dept. (All 30 years of it.) my wife a I just purchased a 2005 17' Casita delux. I just got it yesterday from N.C. I have a Dodge Durango 4x4 its very nice, but on the way up I had major over heating problems so we barely made it there. The next morning I got the vehicle repaired new water pump and thermostat. We got the trailer and started back home and it started again. It's the strangest thing when traveling it ran hot but in traffic it was ready to blow, so we had to keep it at 68 and believe it or not it ran the best at 75 . I know that seems pretty fast but with the sway device hooked up it was perfect. We finally got home after a couple of stops. Any way I'm here right now trying to read the manual and figure out how to even get it working. The previous owners wife was the person I was in contact with and she really didn't know how things worked. I noticed she had it hooked to the house so I thought well I'll just get home and hook to my outlet, guess what different plug condition. So I'm stuck. Well great to be here my wife and I want to get started in camping and meeting fellow Casita campers. Good to be here.
Bivwack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Bruce, welcome to FiberglassRV... we're glad you're here. You'll get lots of help here and I know there will be folks along shortly to answer your questions or help with problems.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #3

Florida
Hi Donna thanks for the welcome. Just wondering if I can hook up to my home with a heavy duty extension cord to the plug outlets on the passenger side mid way? I'm trying to run off my house power. Thank you...
Old 07-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Welcome Bruce
Your trailer more than likely has a 30A power cord connection. You power outlet on the house is more than likely 20A. Look with your set up stuff and you should find a power plug adapter. If not you can get one from Wally World or any RV store. When using the adapter you have to limit your current useage, so if your are running the A/C limit the use of your your other appliances or you will trip a breaker.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #5

Florida
Thanks Eddie, will do. Going to Wally world right now. Thanks again...
Old 07-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I agree with Eddie on the power. You should be OK running off a good, heavy extension cord for recharging the battery, running the fridge and other light duty sruff. I have mine on a 50' cord at home. Remember that the longer the cord the heavier it should be. As I recall, mine is 14 gauge.

Have a lot of fun with your new toy.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #7

Florida
Ok thanks Dave, I checked. all through the trailer and no adapter, so went to w.m. And down here they didn't have any thing like that,so tomorrow I'm going to a RV supply store.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Bruce what you are looking for will look like this or like this
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #9

Florida
Thanks Carol, looks like a lot of fun. I wish I lived closer to BC you guys have some great weather compared to the convection oven down here is the swamp lands. It's going to hit just under 100 plus 99 percent humidity makes it an almost unin habitable place for human existence. Well enough of that it's not going to make it any cooler, time to go cut the grass. The outing looks refreshing and maybe some day we can make the drive. Thanks again Carol.... Happy camping...
Old 07-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #10

Florida
Oh yeah Eddie and Dave I went to another Wally world and picked up a cord and an adapter, hooray. Now I'm cooking.. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #11

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
Welcome aboard From an old fellow space coastie!!! I lived in Titusville for 20 years ... we left as the space program began winding down and layoffs became the norm. Played rugby for Sapce Coast Rugby Football Club for 10 years in Port Canaveral too. Good times! A lot of fellow Eggers in Florida so you should have plenty of support and fun at rallies.

Sorry to hear about the engine problems but glad to hear you were able to work around it. Also glad to hear you found an adaptor and are up and running. Have fun out there and post photos when you can!
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #12

Florida
Hey Paul thanks for the welcome. Sorry you had to leave the coast, but it looks like you're in a really nice place. I like California it a beautiful state with plenty of things to do and actual seasons. I use to know a fellow. Who played rugby down here his name is Page Wislow, I can't believe I remembered his name I haven't said it in about 20 years. He offered me to play a game, I said no way and I'm glad I did that the roughest sport known to man, no kidding. I got to give you tons of credit for that. About the trip the truck did get us home safety but for the first real trip with the family ie. wife and two yorkies it wasn't to appealing. We did get a nice little egg and we love it,can't wait to get it wired. Well thanks again and hope to meet ya some day. Happy camping..
Old 07-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #13

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
Small world Bruce! Mr. Page Winslow and I played, sweat, and bled together for many years on the rugby pitch. He started it with the Melbourne Redeyes, then he and a small group broke away to form the team (Space Coast) that I joined a few years later (right after I finished high school). Page had a great sense of humor on and off the field. We played hard and partied pretty hard afterward! A great guy, haven't seen him in years either.

Yes, I am very blessed to be here in lovely Monterey. I miss the warm water - but not the mosquitos! I try to get back to the Space Coast now and then to see old buddies ... next time I'll look you up. Likewise, when you guys are ready for an epic egg adventure out west, be sure to stop in for a free campsite, hook-up, and cold ones! Nice to know you - have a great time with that Casita!
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #14

Florida
Yeah Paul Page is a hoot, very nice guy. I met him in the fire service he was a paramedic he was fun to be around. And thanks for the offer of the camp site over your way and like wise for you over here. Take care Paul nice chatting with you.