Old 02-17-2017, 06:23 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
You should look at Relic Travel Trailers at relictrailers.com

They claim a starting weight of 1000 lbs. They are made in Washington state.

Dave & Paula
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
r look at Vintage Trailer I Just type it in at the heading of the RV section on Craig's list and usually 20 show up.

Stude
I'm not sure what you mean, Stude. When I type "vintage trailer" in Craiglist, it usually brings up older trailers of the "canned ham" variety, not fiberglass. Most are well over 1500 pounds and require a good bit of work. The OP was interested in a newer molded fiberglass trailer. Relic is a manufacturer of new molded fiberglass trailers that look old!

I doubt they're lighter than a similarly equipped Scamp, though. Since the interiors are custom, I wonder if that 1000 pounds is an empty shell. That would be about right for a molded shell on a steel frame. You could ask, though*. Relic trailers are real head-turners and worth a look!
* EDIT: On their Facebook page, they give the dry weight of a finished trailer as 1500 pounds.

For that matter, so is the Happier Camper HC1 made in Los Angeles by the same company that runs the rental business in Windsor. Their interiors are flexible and very pet friendly.

While we're mentioning other new models, I'm thinking of the Weiscraft Little Joe, made in Colorado. It's a little lighter than a Scamp and narrower, so it will pull more easily behind a smaller vehicle. No mirror extensions needed, and less wind resistance.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #17

Name: Bizzian
Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Ontario
Registry
If this is a real "I've neverr camped before" and you have a new Rav4, you might want to consider trying out a tent attachment for your vehicle. You just pop your hatch and the tent/addition takes only a few minutes to put up. Your cats, if they are leash trained then can roam around in your vehicle and the tent, you'll be off the ground, you won't have to worry about trailer weight (I have a Subaru Forester & our boler is at the max weight for is so I would never attempt the mountains out west), and backing the trailer up etc. I take our boler out by myself now and then but never too far from home, and getting backed in, and especially hooked back up again is a pain.. Our cat and dog have always travelled with us, even when we tented which we did for years.
Good luck.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #18

Name: Mark
Trailer: In the market
Ontario
Hello there. I'm in Toronto as well and have looked around quite a bit to see what could be towed with smaller vehicles. Are you only considering Fiberglass RV's? If not then you have plenty more options avail, such as the T@B which can easily be towed by a RAV4. There are a few dealers within an hrs drive, such as McKenzie's in Stouffville and Imperial RV in Caledonia near Hamilton.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:12 PM   #19

Ontario
I clicked send too soon. Also wanted to mention the Canadian made Safari Condo Alto trailers. They are aluminum and very light, 1700lbs. One model has a retractable roof, expensive though at $36k Cdn. CanAm RV in London ON are trailer towing experts. They should be able to tell you what can and cannot be towed with your RAV4. They also sell the Condo Safari Alto. I emailed them about my Audi A4 and was surprised that with the proper hitch and weight distribution I could tow a Alto and a 16 and 19ft Airstream. In terms of fiberglass there are the Canadian made Explorers made in BC and Trillium in Alberta. Good luck with your search!
Old 02-17-2017, 03:21 PM   #20

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
If you really, really dislike your RAV4, go ahead and get CanAm to install a hitch for you, and then tow well beyond what Toyota says the RAV4 can tow. Go for it.
Note that my 2008 RAV4 V6 has a 3,500 lb tow / 350 lb tongue capacity. In 2013 that dropped to 1,500 lb tow capacity.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:05 PM   #21

Ontario
Hello from Toronto! Shopping around....

Also I forgot to mention that CanAm RV will be at the Toronto Spring Camping and RV show first weekend in March. I'm pretty sure with their expertise you should be able to tow at least a 13ft fiberglass trailer.