Hello from Vancouver BC Canada ! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-11-2015, 01:55 PM   #1

Name: Debbie
Trailer: serious buyer will travel
British Columbia
Hello from Vancouver BC Canada !

We are serious shoppers and the parents of 5 teenagers !
They never leave the house and when they do its never together.
We love day tripping and running away....if only a day or overnight. Hotels
dont impress and limit our access to the outdoors. So here we are. We both
grew up camping and know our way around a camp site. Im also a child of the 60s and fully Hippified. Festivals, art, culture music and all things food. We have a huge extended family that runs Washington state and BC so gathering is plenty and often. The man of this couple is the easy goin happy guy. Whatever I want...."within reason" LOL. OOOOh hes 6' 4" so....Im guessing some logistical considerations are in order.

PS: is the bed too short ??? Uh OH.....
Ms. Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
waving from across the harbour from you
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I also have five kids, so I feel for you. Mine are a bit more spread out. My youngest is 9 and my oldest is 21. If yours are all teenagers, (13 to 19) you were some busy bee's for six years.

We started with a Trillium 4500, and a travel van. Four of the kids slept in the trailer, and The adults, and the youngest, slept in the van. This setup was more about getting from Calgary to Manitoulin Island, in Ontario. So showers and bathroom facilities were not really a consideration. Besides, most camp grounds have that covered.

I am not super familiar with other brands, but I do know my Trilliums. There is an option for a fold down bunk above the dinette which would allow a 4500 to sleep six. Though three of them should be smaller. Like less then 100 lbs or so. Then if the adults sleep in a van, then that makes eight. Hey, one of your kids could bring a friend.

Other options would be a Bigfoot with a gaucho, That has 5 beds, and a bathroom. And enough floor space for more. You would still need to sleep someone in the vehicle though.

Also a tent might help. Kids love to have their own place.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:31 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
'72 Boler for Sale in Dunbar, Vancouver!

Hi Folks,

I have a restored (mostly) '72 Boler that may be for sale. Price would be $6000 Cdn. or thereabouts. My 6'4" brother in law has slept in it comfortably. Would depend on how tall Debbie is or if you'd be okay with sleeping on the front bed. Let me know if you'd like to see photos or visit.

Cheers,

JB
jbeach48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Sleeping

I very seldom sleep stretched out to my full height. Usually I sleep in 'fetal position' with knees drawn up. I am nearly 6' and have no problem sleeping in Homelet, on the front bunk.

BTW: our five children range in age from 42 to 52!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:34 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hello from Vancouver BC Canada !

I'm a little unclear... The five teenagers "never leave the house and when they do it's never together." So will they be traveling with you, either as a group or a few at a time? If they do, are they the sort that might rather sleep in an encampment of small tents around the mother ship, or are they going to want their own beds inside the trailer, preferably with a conveniently-placed charging station?

Or is this more of a "honeymoon" suite for you and your husband when you escape the madness?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:52 PM   #7

Name: Debbie
Trailer: serious buyer will travel
British Columbia
Honey Moon Suite.....LOL

Tents around the mother ship !!! Love it.

They will not be putting there heads in the trailer but to get food and scolding
"with love" of course.
Ms. Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:55 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
So the trailer is for you and your husband...

At 6'4" he is what we consider "height challenged" in the molded fiberglass egg world. There are only a few that will give him full stand-up headroom and/or full stretch-out sleeping space. By most accounts sleeping space is more important. One solution that might work in a small trailer with two sleeping areas (like Bolers, Trilliums, Scamps, and similar) is to give him the double bed to sleep diagonally, and you take the other bed. Another solution is to look for a layout that has one end of the bed open so his feet can hang out or you can add a little extension (like the gaucho bed in the older Bigfoot 17G and a few other similar layouts).

Actually a Bigfoot 17G might be just the ticket. Between the front dinette and the rear gaucho, you could squeeze all seven of you inside for a meal on a rainy day if it came down to it. And it has a bit more headroom, too.

I think you'll just have to take this on a case-by-case basis. Follow up on some ads, lie down in some trailers, and see what you think. As earlier posts reveal, everyone has different levels of tolerance for tight spaces. My wife is only 5'1", and she thinks the "double" bed in our Scamp is exactly the right size... for herself!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote