Hello from Virginia - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita Spirit Delux
Virginia
Registry
Thumbs up Hello from Virginia

Tom & Sandra from southwest Virginia says HELLO! We live in the blueridge mountains of Virginia 20 miles from Virginia Tech (GO HOKIES)
We are both retired (me 30+ yrs law enforcement and my wife 30+ Agency on Aging) and we recently purchased our first ever Casita trailer. In fact just four weeks ago we went on our first camper trip ever. Thanks for letting us come aboard and we are looking forward to meeting new friends.
Tom & Sandra
TomB44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Welcome Tom and Sandra, you will love it here.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Tom and Sandra, welcome to FiberglassRV! Do you have any pictures to share?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:40 AM   #4

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB44 View Post
Tom & Sandra from southwest Virginia says HELLO! We live in the blueridge mountains of Virginia 20 miles from Virginia Tech (GO HOKIES)
We are both retired (me 30+ yrs law enforcement and my wife 30+ Agency on Aging) and we recently purchased our first ever Casita trailer. In fact just four weeks ago we went on our first camper trip ever. Thanks for letting us come aboard and we are looking forward to meeting new friends.
Tom & Sandra
Sure do Donna..as soon as I can firure out how Tom
Old 08-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #5

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Welcome Tom & Sandra,

I'm about 90 miles East of you in Lynchburg. I just bought my FGRV, an '83 Burro, the first week in June. So far, it has only had one outing, to serve as my bedroom and the target shack for a schuetzen match I sponsored near here. In fact, one of my Pulaski friends came and shot with us. I hope to go to several shooting events now that the *@#%* heat has let up a little... it looks like a couple of trips to Winchester for the North-South Skirmish and a couple more schuetzen matches for September and October. I've got a lot of interior work to do this Winter, but can "rough it" with what I have for now. Portable propane stove and large cooler will do until the stove top can be installed and a 3-way fridge can be bought and placed in its slot.

Are you thinking of any trips for the sake of just camping with a group of FGRV'ers like maybe the Asheville, NC doings in October?

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Welcome Tom and Sandra, looks we are picking up quite a few new members from Va. I live near the bay but do most of my fall and winter camping west of Stanton and Harrisonburg. I wanted to take a trip down the Blue Ridge PW this summer but like Froggie said it was too **** hot. Hope to meet you someday.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #7

Virginia
Registry
There's a nice little state-owned campground up at the Peaks of Otter, right on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Maybe we could organize a Virginia FGRV-in for us and surrounding areas. We don't have to let other states have ALL the fun! Should I start looking into what would be involved in putting something like that together?

Froggie
Old 08-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #8

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
There's a nice little state-owned campground up at the Peaks of Otter, right on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Maybe we could organize a Virginia FGRV-in for us and surrounding areas. We don't have to let other states have ALL the fun! Should I start looking into what would be involved in putting something like that together?

Froggie
Not a bad idea Froggie. Late April or early May would sure be a good time. I was think some where in the Shenandoah Valley area. Tom
Old 08-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #9

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Tom & Sandra
My wife and I on our 47th wedding anniversary.
Attached Thumbnails
B-day stuff 008 - Copy.jpg  
Old 08-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Welcome

We've been to your area many times, both our boys are VT graduates, definitely one of the most beautiful campuses in America . As well we celebrate our 47th wedding anniversary next Monday. One of our son's has a Casita, the other boy a Scamp.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #11
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Hi, Tom! You live in my ancestral stomping grounds - BEAUTIFUL countryside around there. I hope to drag our Casita up there one day...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #12

Virginia
Registry
Hello Norm & Ginney...and you are right. Very few campuses can compare with Virginia Tech. Tom
Old 08-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #13

Virginia
Registry
Hello Mary F...Drag that Casita on up here. You can stay at Claytor Lake State park in Dublin. Tom
Old 08-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
Quote:
Not a bad idea Froggie. Late April or early May would sure be a good time. I was think some where in the Shenandoah Valley area. Tom
What a great idea! We are near Charlottesville.
Dick
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #15

Virginia
Registry
Bad news... Peaks of Otter Campground is Federally Owned and is designated for primitive camping. It has 5-6 sets of rest rooms but no showers and no electric or water hookups. I'm going to do some more checking around to see what other possibilities might exist in the Central VA area to accommodate a bunch of FGRV'ers.

The Search Continues!
Froggie
Old 09-06-2011, 05:16 AM   #16

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft
Froggie, I think most of the State Parks in Virginia have electric and water hook-ups. I've been to a few...Claytor Lake is beautiful, as is Hungry Mother and Fairystone. Those are the closest to me (I live in Fancy Gap) and I'm sure the others are equally nice.
Anyone going to Bristol Rhythm & Roots Reunion (Bristol VA/TN)next week? We stay at a County Park there, Sugar Hollow, it's really nice.
Diane G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #17

Virginia
Registry
Virginia FGRV rally

Froggie...sure appears that we have created a bit of interest in a Virginia FGRV rally. I'm thinking some location centrally located would draw more folks, say the Richmond area for example. Having never done anything like this I can offer very little advice. I would be willing to help in planning any way I can. TomB
Old 09-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #18

Virginia
Registry
I thought about the State-owned campground at Bear Creek Lake as a possibility... it is in Cumberland County about 50 miles West of downtown Richmond. It's not as neat for scenery (basically you're in the middle of a big old pine forest) but there's swimming and boating as well as picnicking, etc. You are close to a few minor attractions and could even get up to King's Dominion in a reasonable time on the way in or out of a gathering there.

A second option that came up is Smith Mountain Lake. The State Park there would be a good possibility if they have the facilities folks want/need. The scenery there would be a better selling point, and folks interested in boating would have more options available to them. Fairystone might also be one worth examining a little more closely; it's long on scenery, but I'm not sure what other attractions it offers.

If there is sufficient interest, I'll pursue those possibilities next. I'm running a small rifle match at the end of October, so I'll probably not get real serious with this project until I have that out of the way.

Froggie.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #19

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Christopher Run campground on Lake Anna with a Mineral, VA address.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:24 PM   #20

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Hello fellow Members from Virginia. Please let me know of any great campgrounds that you find.

There is a wonderful local campground near me, close to Williamsburg VA. Its called chickahominy riverfront park. The campsites are on bluffs overlooking the river. Can get crowded when there are festivals in the park, but also can be quiet and lovely.

I'm all for a Virginia fiberglass rally. It would be lovely in the fall, in the mountains, when the leaves are changing color.
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote