Hello from Western NY - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-11-2017, 09:40 AM   #1

Name: Daniel
Trailer: In The Market
New York
Hello from Western NY

Hi all -

I've been a long time lurker, but finally took the plunge on signing up after seeing a CL ad for a funky utility trailer locally. I couldn't pass up sharing that.

My family and I are on the hunt for some type of small, towable, enclosed camping unit. We're finally getting close to pulling the trigger - and I want to be able to learn all I can.

We've looked at pop-ups, aliners, teardrops, and FG's. Haven't settled on anything mostly because we don't want to take the plunge and be wrong.

The goal is something for the three of us - 6'3" husband, 5'0" wife, and currently 3yo daughter - to use for road trips, camping, and possibly as a spare room when necessary. We'd be towing it behind our Subaru Outback (2.5L, 6mt).

With those requirements, we're leaning toward something with minimal setup time (quick overnight stop on road trip) and ultralight. Amenities we're looking for are space for us to sleep inside comfortably, a cooler, camp stove, cooking paraphernalia, weekends worth of clothes, and portapotti. Form of that space is flexible, just needs to carry those basically full time.

I'm trying to keep things reasonable - both in expectations and cost - so if I'm out of line anywhere let me know.

Either way - hi again all, and I look forward to the interaction.
Dan-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:48 AM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
One good thing: if you buy a good, well-maintained camper (if buying used), and don't overpay, you'll easily be able to sell it if it doesn't end up being what you want. Not the end of the world if you buy something and realize it doesn't fit your needs. Sometimes the only way to know what fits your needs is to jump in and try it.

I would say avoid the popup. Some people love the A-frame things.

6'3" will be tough. Other people know the bed dimensions better than me and they'll chime in. But my Bigfoot I think is exactly 6'3", and it's one of the taller fiberglass campers. He may just not be able to stand up fully. If that's a requirement...then A-frame or popup might start sounding better after all...

Any camper can carry a porta-pottie. They sell them at camping and RV stores. Sometimes a bucket with a seat on it, sometimes a little more fancy. But you can haul those around with any camper, or even car camping.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Daniel, welcome to the FGRV forum family. When we (2 kids, wife & I) upgraded from tenting, got a standard, front bunk/couch 13' Scamp, and have been hooked on all molded fiberglass trailers ever since. Your tow vehicle (TV) will be your limiting factor, as your tongue weight limitations will have to be considered along with the total weight of the trailer, so in keeping that in mind, if your are carefull, you can achieve this with the Scamp. I installed a fiberglass propane tank on the tongue, and it saved substantial 15 lbs over the standard steel one.
Best of luck with your search.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:47 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That 6'3" is an issue- around here we call it "height-challenged"...

Most taller folks say a little bit of stooping to move around in the trailer is not a big deal since the trailers are so small.

Bed size is more of a problem. In many of the smaller molded fiberglass options that you can tow with an Outback, you may find the beds confining. The main bed in most Scamps is 45"x75". The front bunks are 26"x75" and curved.

We sleep four in ours, including a pre-teen and a (very petite) teen. I take the lower bunk, the older takes the upper bunk, and my wife and younger share the main bed (sleeping in opposite directions due to the width). We are not tall.

One newer molded fiberglass option that might work for you is a Happier Camper HC1. The interior can be configured and reconfigured in a lot of different ways using modular components. Pretty cool, but pricey compared to a used Scamp.

As said, your tow vehicle is the limiting factor. With a tongue weight limit of 200 pounds, you need to keep your gross trailer weight under 2000 pounds. That rules out all but the smallest molded fiberglass trailers. Even a tent trailer, which gives you plenty of height and bed length, is limited to smaller units.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #5

Name: Daniel
Trailer: In The Market
New York
Thanks all for the warm welcome!

Between my wife and me, we understand the problems of being height challenged – from both ends of the bell curve. While I don’t mind a bit of stooping while standing – if I can stand at all in the case of a teardrop – having a comfortable length bed is a priority of mine. After some conversation we might be able to go with separate bunks/berths for all three of us – since we’d mostly be camping in the summer months, we won’t need as much to combine body heat.

I realize a big limitation will be the tow vehicle, but seeing as we’re targeting an upgrade from a tent instead of a downgrade from a hotel room I think we’ll be able to keep our weight within check.

A bigger limitation will be the budget. So while shiny new campers like the HC1 look amazing, we’re targeting something well under $5k for this first endeavor.
Dan-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:22 PM   #6

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hello There Dan,

Also a WNYer here, and welcome to the forum. I own a Scamp 13 standard with the front bunk/sofa setup and regular size done the bed. My guess is it probably weighs 1500 pounds or so loaded with my stuff. I don't carry too much. Tongue weight was 185 pounds one time I borrowed a friend's tongue weight scale. I have a group 24 battery and 20 pound propane tank on there.

It's in storage till April or May, depending on when I can get it out. If you don't buy before then, you're welcome to PM me if you want to have a look.

Sincerely,
Wendy

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:23 PM   #7

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Should read dinette bed. I'm sorry.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote