Hello From Winnipeg - New to me 74 Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #1

Name: Shawn
Trailer: 1974 Boler
Manitoba
Hello From Winnipeg - New to me 74 Boler

Hello - This is Shawn from Winnipeg...

I just purchased a 74 Boler and I am excited to get started working on it.
I've wanted one since I saw the Bee 2gether Boler rentals office at the forks.

It's in original condition white and gold.

Some issues that will need attention:
  • The only lights that work on the trailer are the tail lights
  • The ensolite foam is in good shape, but seems to be lifting in places (back passenger side) is some separation normal over time?
  • Had a three way fridge, but it doesn't work.
  • Just discovered that the "furnace" is actually just a shell...no guts
  • The upper cabinets do not have a support bar. It looks like they never did. I've seen pictures of the twisted iron support, but this one doesn't even have holes where it should be. Did some come without?
  • All of the screws / washers holding the Boler to the frame at the front were floating around in the storage area (They seem to have rattled loose?)
Good news though...The door isn't sagging! And there is no gap at the bottom. Keeping this piece of good news in mind as I discover other issues...

I've already found tons of useful info on the forums. I see that Raya also had the same issue with the frame when she purchased her Boler. Nice to know I am not alone. It freaked me out a bit

Anyway the journey begins. I spent most of today pulling wires. - First job - get all the lights working.

Cheers,
Shawn
Attached Thumbnails
P1010821.jpg   P1010843.jpg  

sanderssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Welcome Shawn
Marinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #3

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Hi Shawn and welcome to the forum. As you've already discovered there's lots of helpful advice. Maybe more importantly there's lots of members who can empathize with you as you attempt to sort out all the little mysteries that come with an experienced trailer.

Your approach is a good one; focus on one issue and work on it rather than getting freaked out and not knowing how to figure out how to get all the work done.

Looks good in the photos. Good luck and I guess you have a couple of more months to work on it before summer comes to Winterpeg.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Welcome Shawna!

I suspect some Bolers never had supports on them to start with. If you look on the side of the bottom counter can you see any screw holes where they may have been at one time? Adding them is not a bad idea.... search the forum you will find a number of people have come up with inexpensive/creative ways of replacing them. A friends Boler didnt have supports & I am not sure it ever did, but the whole roof caved in during a big snow storm a couple of years ago. Add the supports one less thing to worry about.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
If you are not creative - Scamp sells them.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Welcome. Nice find. Hope you can get it all working and come to our Rally in St Malo in August. Follow the links in the rally calendar and come and see all the get trailers in 1 place. Great place to get ideas on what people have done from stock to all out customs.

Rick
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Shawn, welcome to FiberglassRV. Sorry for not piping in sooner... I was out camping with a bunch of egg owners. Great fun, you too will soon be making tons of memories!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #8

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1975 boler
Manitoba
Hi Shawn, another Winnipeger here.
To support my upper cabinet I just used a wooden decorative railing dowel I found at Home Depot. It looks nice. I prefer the wooden look to the look of metal.
bkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #9

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkboler View Post
Hi Shawn, another Winnipeger here.
To support my upper cabinet I just used a wooden decorative railing dowel I found at Home Depot. It looks nice. I prefer the wooden look to the look of metal.
Hi Brian,

I'm actually thinking of going the shower curtain rod route. I saw this on the home depot site

Zenith | Builder Rod - Chrome | Home Depot Canada

I need a way to run 12V into the upper cabinets. The previous owner ran 110 in the existing conduit then directly into a new light fixture. They cut the 12v lines and removed them. I was thinking of a way to rerun the 12V so maybe the cut to fit shower curtain rod will work. Looks like the original iron support was about 23 1/2 inches?
Old 06-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #10

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
Welcome. Nice find. Hope you can get it all working and come to our Rally in St Malo in August. Follow the links in the rally calendar and come and see all the get trailers in 1 place. Great place to get ideas on what people have done from stock to all out customs.

Rick
Hi Rick,

I booked a site in G for the rally. Hopefully I'll have it in full working order by then
Old 06-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #11

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1975 boler
Manitoba
That rod is a good idea. I also had a wire going to the upper cabinet thru a metal rod at the back centered under the cabinet. with your way I'll only need the one support and it'll look alot neater.
bkboler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler