Hello - fulltiming - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2012, 01:22 AM   #1

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Hello - fulltiming

I found this site late in the game for me and my 16 ft Deluxe Scamp. I'm one that jumped in with both feet when I started. ordered mine in 2010 got it in Dec 2010 been "full timing" sense. my second winter soon. I was looking at Casita and Scamps the former too short."6 ft" Sold house in GA. to be rid of it, after taking a job in AL. some change of my plans of 20 + years ago. I'd planned to be Camping/ Hiking after retiring from Mil. So now I live close too what I'd planned.. My TV(S) a 05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.or 90 XJ. So far I've took the Scamp down to FL twice. I'll have to get off rear and take pics of my set up.

Darrell
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Darrell, welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here.

I figure getting into the game late is better than not playing at all!!

And yes, please take pics... we love pictures!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:18 AM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
How does towing with a Wrangler work for you. I thought of pulling with a Wrangler in the past but I'd be scared to death with the center of gravity and the short wheelbase. If you dont mind, what's your motor/tranny and what kind of mileage are you getting.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:14 AM   #4

Alabama
on pics I worked a double shift yesterday, and I could not find the pics I took already. I've still got to pair down like some others have.. 4 Jeeps (2 still in GA), boat(s), 4 wheeler ect. ect. to many hobbies and job.

Mine is a Unlimited longer wheel base, but the land yachts and large SUVs flying past can blown me around. Ive found that it helps having my jeeps spare tire in the front of the RV and I've ordered a WT dist. hitch from Anderson Hitches I'm going to try. Especially now that I've put hard top back on. I had a sway at faster than 50-55 before relocating the spare and rack off back (empty) mileage is not the best driving a brick down road esp with the E10 plus gas now with real gas I get about 18 MPG non towing with Wrangler.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Hello

Darrell, welcome to the forum. I have been pulling a 13' Scamp (two different models) with my Wranglers (also 2 different models TJ & JK) since 1997, and have had to use a 7" drop in my hitch. The wagging/sway sounds like either you don't have the nose of the trailer down enough (level or slightly down), or you have it loaded with to much of the weight in the back. That is probably why the sway is helped with weight off the back of the trailer, and when more weight (Jeep Spare Tire) is placed in the front of the trailer. I have read in several places that it would be better to load the trailer properly to eliminate the sway, than it would to apply a weight distribution hitch, as this places quite a bit of weight on the "thin" trailer frame.
Happy Trails.....
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #6

Alabama
Part of the wt. issues is hi center of gravity with cabinets filled with stuff and AC. I've just took mine on short trip to Guntersville Lake, AL. filled water tank, no Jeep spare tire. Wt Dist. hitch in box on floor about 6 in forward of axle no sway at 62 mph.. I've got to put a rise hitch on my jeep to tow the Scamp (LJ) 2-3 in lift. but low hitch point on bumper. here a few pics. and then a few mods pics
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0044R.jpg   DSCF0042.jpg  

DSCF0059R.JPG   DSCF0061R.JPG  

DSCF0062R.JPG  
Old 10-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #7

Alabama
The photos may be out of order.. I added 3 12 volt outlets 2 on front of sink 1 at back of fridge at the vent, a shield around the 12 water switch, 12 V computer fans on window over sink(had a switch mounted in light removed and just used 9V connecters as to have fan in or out, brass coat hooks, LED lights in closets (the blue light is the switch in photo #9) 2 lights w LEDs 1 by the door. draped a LED rope light around top of RV with cup hooks. screen wire on outside vents, still got to screen in roof vent.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0057.jpg   DSCF0055.jpg  

DSCF0021.jpg   DSCF0037.jpg  

DSCF0033.jpg   DSCF0032.jpg  

DSCF0031.jpg   DSCF0027.jpg  

DSCF0035.jpg  
Old 10-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #8

Name: Ginny
Trailer: Escape
Alaska
Registry
Thanks, Darryl . You just gave me two great and easy solutions to minor problems we've had- how to prevent accidental pump turn-ins when making the bed and how to make the closet more convenient (duh! A light in there!) I can't offer any help for your questions but I'm sure happy you've joined us!
GingerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: Researching fiberglass eggs
New Mexico
Hello Darrell. I am looking hard at the Casita 17' model. What did you mean by "too short"? Were you referring to its inside height? I retired from the Navy and I was raised in AL. Thanks.
Mike from NM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Darrell I had to add a 3" drop to my Outback to get the trailer to ride leave to avoid sway problems. I am surprised though with 2 propane tanks on the tongue and as the AC is ahead of the wheel base that you had a sway problem. Do you always tow with the rear tanks full of water? I stick my seldom used but fairly heavy axe and tool kit etc up front in the hard to get a spots but also have a large tote box full of all my trailer gear, hoses, cords, blocks etc that rides in the the trailer over the axle when traveling. If I know my propane tank is running low or on the rare occasion I do need to travel more than a mile or so with water in rear tanks I will move the tote box up closer to the front of the trailer to help balance the trailer back up front as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #11

Alabama
for Mike in NM
The too short is I'm 6ft tall and don't want to duck full time. the Casita 's I'd seen listed as 5'9 or so in side hight I just have to duck the AC.
With the hitch thing you can see in pic #5 is a Anderson Wt Dist hitch/ sway control with it. I'm using just part of the capabilities of it, its not cranked down like when used on large trailer. No sway up to 70 + MPH
With out the gray tank and water tank full I had a sway when I towed to FL last year, all the water in fresh tank had drained in to toilet and shower floor due to valve on toilet (broke) but when I towed it down to Guntersville Lake with fresh tank full w/o a problem, and the Wt Dist hitch in floor. Part of the sway is from the AC and cabinets giving hi center of gravity I think. I had stuff in the cabinets and not a lot of Wt low in the trailer
The shield on 12 v water pump was done due to the same problem turning on without noticing it, next is one for the heater control "probably" I knock the cover off and turn it on at times. I got 2 12V fans to put in back of fridge too Idea I'm taking from a few others mods. plus I think it may cut down on wasp trying to nest in there.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #12

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell in Al View Post
on pics I worked a double shift yesterday, and I could not find the pics I took already. I've still got to pair down like some others have.. 4 Jeeps (2 still in GA), boat(s), 4 wheeler ect. ect. to many hobbies and job.

Mine is a Unlimited longer wheel base, but the land yachts and large SUVs flying past can blown me around. Ive found that it helps having my jeeps spare tire in the front of the RV and I've ordered a WT dist. hitch from Anderson Hitches I'm going to try. Especially now that I've put hard top back on. I had a sway at faster than 50-55 before relocating the spare and rack off back (empty) mileage is not the best driving a brick down road esp with the E10 plus gas now with real gas I get about 18 MPG non towing with Wrangler.
We found need 8% on tongue and sway bar then life is great

Tags
fulltiming