Hello, I am a new member. - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #1

Name: Nigel
Trailer: Scamp 13
Minnesota
Hello, I am a new member.

Hello! Thankyou for all the contributions on mods and repairs, I expect to be reading more of them when I take possession of the 1996 Scamp 13 that I bought last week. It takes some hard work to buy a used Scamp!
I had been checking posts, Craigslist, etc. for several months until I bought a decent towing vehicle four weeks ago. Then I was more than ready to buy. As were dozens of others! I was about to drive from Minneapolis to St Louis, just to look at a Scamp, and it was a good thing I called the guy before I left because someone had already overnighted a deposit and was driving a similar distance to finalize the sale.
Many people have commented in these forums that when you find a trailer you are interested in, you’d better buy it immediately, the demand is so high. I happened to check the For Sale forum last Saturday around 4pm and saw an ad for exactly the kind of Scamp I wanted – posted one hour previously and less than ten miles away! I called, the seller said it was en route and I should call back early afternoon the next day. “Would you mind calling me as soon as you get it? I’m very serious about buying this”.
“Well, I’ll tell you. I’ve had 4 calls in the past hour and I can’t be keeping track of everybody.” Fair enough.
It is amazing what you can learn about a person just by knowing their phone number. I called at 9 the next morning and he wasn’t picking up. So I drove to his house, cruised the alley past his Scamp, twice, and parked in front of the house. I was a little hesitant about ringing the doorbell, but I reassured myself that, as a Scamp owner, he would understand.
And he did, a tech-savvy Scamp owner.
I am very empathetic to the other potential buyers who called later, as requested. It’s a dog-eat-dog world when you are trying to buy a good molded fiberglass travel trailer

My main reason for wanting a Scamp (after 40 years of tenting) is to be able to play guitar and sing without bothering the other people in the National Forest campground. As least not bothering them as much as I usually do. So I’ll be looking for some good soundproofing threads and would appreciate any recommendation or link.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:15 AM   #2

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Congrats on the new camper! Hope you enjoy it. And the singing and campfires, and .....

Old 11-28-2017, 12:33 PM   #3

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your new camper too!

It would seem that you're about to begin making some joyful music and many good memories around the camp fire. Welcome aboard.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:47 AM   #4

Name: MURRAY
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia (BC)
guitar

Welcome to the group.
I camped on Cavendish Beach PEI.
A chap had a guitar, not a bad voice and a following of campers. We all had a great time. Don't hide in your trailer.
Go and Enjoy
Old 11-29-2017, 10:00 AM   #5

Name: Nigel
Trailer: Scamp 13
Minnesota
Yes, I enjoy playing with others - it's the songwriting and rehearsing I would prefer to keep to myself.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Congrats on your new unit and welcome to the site.
If the neighbors object to your guitar playing, you're camping in the wrong place! LOL!
Old 11-29-2017, 12:46 PM   #7

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
Welcome here, Nigel.

You might want to check the forum for Up-coming Rallies 2018 Map on this site for details on the Lanesboro, MN rally in fall 2018. We usually have a huge gathering of Scamps and other fiberglass trailers. There is also a group of trailer owning musicians who performs each evening. You'll fit right in.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #8

Name: Linda
Trailer: 1962 Avion, 1959 Airstream, 1998 Casita 16' SD
Minnesota
Welcome!

Welcome Nigel and glad you found your Scamp! I looked for a year before I found my 16' Casita...it can be quite vicious finding one...lots of competition, as you know!
I went to the Rally at Mille Lacs Lake in May last year and met some great people and half of them were musicians! We had some really great campfires.
Hope to see you at a Rally!
Linda
Albany, MN
Old 12-02-2017, 05:16 AM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
welcome nigel

welcome to the group. you did good and you understand buying a scamp is not to be taken lightly if you see what you like you better buy it.

with extensive back surgeries I had to give up on tenting I did it for 40 years I loved it. we camped all over Europe 4 times and all 50 states 2x flying our tent with us for our ak and Hawaii trips.

with all this I lost my battle totally so I purchased an a-liner same deal if you find one you better move fast they will be lined up. we loved the A-liner but once again back trouble hit so after another surgery I wasn't able to live the panels. we listed our a-liner and had multiple lookers finally a guy with cash he got it!

soooo this led to the search for a 13f scamper I found one 350 miles away after talking to the owner I sent him a 250.00 deposit and 2 days later we were hot on the trail. we had arrived at a price I had the cash with me I met him at his house gave him the cash hooked the scamper up and off we went!

both times purchases were made off craigslist and we found honest people both times and without it we would probably be still looking except now I found fiberglass rv and I have seen some real deals advertised here.

good luck on your find and have loads of fun and experiences!!!

bob
Old 12-02-2017, 08:17 AM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
This is a good read for those in the market. I see too many people asking questions, many of which could have been answered by a quick check of the on line catalogs for that model.

Meanwhile, someone is in their car, making the drive, and buying the trailer.

You did well!