Hello I am newbie - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2010, 08:10 AM   #1

Name: TERRI
Trailer: 2009 13 FOOT SCAMP
Florida
Smile Hello I am newbie

I have dreamed of owning a 13 footer for some time. I have decided to make it a reality. I am a retired special education teacher. I live in the Pensacola, FL
I am looking anywhere within 6 hours of here. I do prefer a bath.
I have looked at a 16 footer near here 1997 CASITA TRAILER. What would be a fair price? I think he sounds a little high. It has ac, 3 way refrig, bathroom/shower etc. Appears to be in good shape. I have a 2004 Forester for pulling.
Thanks for any thoughts.
Terri
Terri Pensacola FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome to FiberglassRV Terri. "Fair Price" is very subjective. There are two prices actually. What the seller is willing to receive to sell and what a buyer is willing to pay. But both prices are determined more on condition of the trailer rather than the age of the trailer. I've seen fairly new trailers that were absolutely trashed and trailers that are decades old that are absolutely beautiful. It's all about maintenance.

A couple of questions you need to ask yourself: Is the asking price what you're willing to pay to get exactly what you want/need. Anything that needs to be repaired, are you capable or would you need to pay to have it brought up to snuff?

Even at this time of year, if a trailer is in good shape at a fair price it won't last long. You snooze, you lose.

Best of luck on your egg hunt
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Pensacola FL View Post
  1. I have dreamed of owning a 13 footer for some time.
  2. I have looked at a 16 footer near here 1997 CASITA TRAILER. It has ac, 3 way refrig, bathroom/shower etc.
  3. I have a 2004 Forester for pulling.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Terri
Trailer Weights in the Real World
I would stick to your dream and keep looking for a 13' trailer. Preferably a Scamp. (My example below did not have a bath.)

LENGTH__MAKE_____MODEL______AXLE___TONGUE__TOTAL
13'_______Scamp ____(Standard)____1420_____200______1620
13'_______Casita______Patriot_______2380_____260__ ____2640
16’_______Casita______Freedom _____2580_____240______2820
Old 12-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #4

Florida
Thanks Donna

Thanks you.
I didn't realize when I started this adventure 13 foot eggs were as rare as snails teeth. Not many any kind of small egg in my neck of the woods. I think that maybe why prices seem to run a bit on the high side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Welcome to FiberglassRV Terri. "Fair Price" is very subjective. There are two prices actually. What the seller is willing to receive to sell and what a buyer is willing to pay. But both prices are determined more on condition of the trailer rather than the age of the trailer. I've seen fairly new trailers that were absolutely trashed and trailers that are decades old that are absolutely beautiful. It's all about maintenance.

A couple of questions you need to ask yourself: Is the asking price what you're willing to pay to get exactly what you want/need. Anything that needs to be repaired, are you capable or would you need to pay to have it brought up to snuff?

Even at this time of year, if a trailer is in good shape at a fair price it won't last long. You snooze, you lose.

Best of luck on your egg hunt
Old 12-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #5

Florida
I think you make be right

13 footer would be easier for me to manage as a solo. If later down the road I want to go 3 foot longer I can always up grade. There seem to be several 16 footers.
Thanks you Fred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L.

I would stick to your dream and keep looking for a 13' trailer. Preferably a [I
Scamp.[/I] (My example below did not have a bath.)

LENGTH__MAKE_____MODEL______AXLE___TONGUE__TOTAL
13'_______Scamp ____(Standard)____1420_____200______1620
13'_______Casita______Patriot_______2380_____260__ ____2640
16’_______Casita______Freedom _____2580_____240______2820
Old 12-25-2010, 09:41 PM   #6

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Donna D; right on target. Ours was in good condition: The prior owner paid to have new valves added to the furnace prior to deal closing as agreed. Later found out needed new trailer tires and abreakaway switch to make it legal.
Price is always by condition and features.
P.S. is looked so nice.
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:50 PM   #7

Ontario
Registry
Terri Pensacola FL: Carole and I are also new to Fiberglass RV the new boler is our first fiberglass trailer. The light weight design was important to us many trailer designs just were just to heavy. My cousin has the Argosy 6 metre trailer (think early Airstream painted white) the aerodynamic design pulls with less effort like the boler. According to what I have been able to find out from experts under 4000 lbs it is more about rolling resistance.
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:01 PM   #8

Florida
Smile new experience.

Since I am a newby, I just want to make sure I can handle the weight of the 16. I think I might feel more comfortable with the small one,
I really like this 16 footer. it has a ton of room. I really want a bath. I will mostly be soloing. So not having to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night would be great plus.

Thanks for weighing in.

Terri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Terri Pensacola FL: Carole and I are also new to Fiberglass Rv the new boler is our first fiberglass trailer. The light weight design was important to us many trailer designs just were just to heavy.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:33 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Terri, I too am a single female travler and I'm closer to 60 y/o than 50. My tug is a Ford F150 p/u and I tow a 16 foot trailer. No problems. I think it depend upon what your tug can tow and less about the driver. As we often say, these trailers appear so much bigger on the inside than they do on the outside. The three feet isn't going to make that much difference in towing, but it sure does in livibility.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:57 AM   #10

Name: Ed
Trailer: 2007 Casita Spirit Delux 16'
Florida
Is that the one on Craigs list in Milton, a 1997 16' SD. I think he is way overpriced. We just bought a 16' SD 2007 and paid $10000. It was hadly used and in great dhape.
Ed in Pensacola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:06 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Terri - when you find your 'just-for-you' Egg, you won't regret choosing 'glass.

I'd like to offer some perspective on living in 13 ft. My D/H and I full-timed in a Scamp 13 with no bath or fridge for nearly 4 years. We used the on-board Porta-pottie for nighttime and campground showers or our 'privacy cabana' for showers (Standsport brand - Cabella's or REI). Dealing with the Porta-pottie is a snap, and doesn't require a FHU location. We loved every minute and mile in that trailer.

In Feb we upgraded to a 16 ft Scamp with side bath - not because we were unhappy or not comfortable in the 13 ... it was just too good a deal to pass up! The extra space is indeed nice to have, but we were snug and happy in the 'little' trailer too. Either one is a dream to tow, park and set-up. My one concern for you is if your Forester (I love them) is beefy enough to tow AND/OR stop your outfit effectively. We towed our 13 with a 6-cyl Mazda MPV, but wouldn't have used that for the 16 - the luxury of a bath adds quite a bit of weight.

Just MHO - hope this if helpful, and you find your Egg soon. LdB
Old 12-26-2010, 06:51 PM   #12

Florida
Over priced oh yea

I agree fellow Pensacola folks. We may need to have one of those Rallies here in Paradise.
If you hear of another one let me know. I am so ready to roll.
Nice to know there are some others in the Pensacola area.

Terri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Pensacola View Post
Is that the one on Craigs list in Milton, a 1997 16' SD. I think he is way overpriced. We just bought a 16' SD 2007 and paid $10000. It was hadly used and in great dhape.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #13

Florida
Thank you

Thanks. I love hearing from everyone. It puts a whole new light on things.
I need to see things from all angles. All thoughts are welcome and deeply appreciated.
Keep them coming.
Terri

Quote:
Originally Posted by David & Leslie View Post
I'd like to offer some perspective on living in 13 ft. My D/H and I full-timed in a Scamp 13 with no bath or fridge for nearly 4 years. We used the on-board Porta-pottie for nighttime and campground showers or our 'privacy cabana' for showers (Standsport brand - Cabella's or REI). Dealing with the Porta-pottie is a snap, and doesn't require a FHU location. We loved every minute and mile in that trailer.

. Either one is a dream to tow, park and set-up. My one concern for you is if your Forester (I love them) is beefy enough to tow AND/OR stop your outfit effectively. We towed our 13 with a 6-cyl Mazda MPV, but wouldn't have used that for the 16 - the luxury of a bath adds quite a bit of weight.

Just MHO - hope this if helpful, and you find your Egg soon. LdB
Old 12-27-2010, 02:24 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Pensacola FL View Post
I have dreamed of owning a 13 footer for some time. I have decided to make it a reality. I am a retired special education teacher. I live in the Pensacola, FL
I am looking anywhere within 6 hours of here. I do prefer a bath.
I have looked at a 16 footer near here 1997 CASITA TRAILER. What would be a fair price? I think he sounds a little high. It has ac, 3 way refrig, bathroom/shower etc. Appears to be in good shape. I have a 2004 Forester for pulling.
Thanks for any thoughts.
Terri
Terri:

We have a 2003 Forester and tow a 2010 13 foot Escape trailer. The rated towing capacity of the Forester is 2000 pounds and the loaded weight of our trailer is also 2000 pounds. Our trailer does not have a bathroom. A bathroom will add some weight.

If you want a 16 foot or larger trailer you will need a tow vehicle with a higher rated towing capacity.

Brian
Old 12-27-2010, 05:11 AM   #15

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
There are plans for adding a bath to 13' trailers on this site if you search. When we had our 13', we had a porta-potty that we pulled out at night. To shower, we draped shower curtains across the trailer and had a plastic tub to stand in.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #16

Florida
Great site

Thanks Cindy,
I am impressed with this web site. Looks like just about every subject has been discussed one time or another. A wealth of knowledge in one little space.
Thanks for info.
Terri

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
There are plans for adding a bath to 13' trailers on this site if you search. When we had our 13', we had a porta-potty that we pulled out at night. To shower, we draped shower curtains across the trailer and had a plastic tub to stand in.

CindyL
Old 04-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Selecting a trailer to match your tug.

Teri,

Welcome to the world of fiberglass!

Here are the ratings from:

Subaru Warranty, and Towing information page

Forester
2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005: 2400lbs with trailer brakes, w/o brakes 1000lbs, Hard towing 1000lbs
2004, 2003 automatic trans 2000#, manual trans 2400#
2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998 2000#

However, when you take data off the internet, it becomes a game of "Who Do You Trust?" (I often wonder why the ratings change year to year.)

The best source for YOUR vehicle is in the owner's manual for that vehicle, (or sometimes the info is on the driver's door and/or pillar).

We purchased a Trillium 1300 because, among other things, it came in under the tow weight limit of our 2000 Subaru Outback (2000#). (With our 'stuff' in it, we were weighed at Quartzsite as 1840#.)

We, too, use a Porta Potti to avoid night time trips, are happy with the combo, and spent Dec 28 to Feb 19 in our rig earlier this year. I can heartily reccommend that lighter is better. I can push/pull our rig by myself, especially on pavement. That really gets the attention of persons with large, heavy stick builts!

YMMV

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #18

Ontario
Registry
Roger C H great info for Terri Pensocola FL on with and without brakes
Old 04-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #19
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
It looks like Terri found a 13ft Scamp already. (Yay!)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote