Hello, Im a wannabee - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #1

Name: Marge
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Cool Hello, Im a wannabee

Ive been on the hunt for a few years for a fiberglass fixer-upper...In the past I bought a small stick built camper and thought I could fix it up....Well I was in way over my head. I'm no carpenter.
After getting rid of that camper and an old Shasta I decided if Im fixing it , it must be glass. That I wont mind tackling.
Ive lurked here for a very long time and decided to sign up. I enjoy reading the post and have learned a lot from here.
I know I want something I can fix up my way, not buy one ready to roll. I guess its the satisfaction of *doing it myself, for myself*.
I watch craigslist and a few others for campers and no luck.. I keep hoping one day I will have one of these little gems of my own.

So as it stands I will continue to read the forums in hopes one I day I can contribute. Thank You to whomever started these forums, they are a wealth of information.
Marje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Marge, welcome to FiberglassRV. We were all wannabees at one time or another so you've found good company

Good luck on your egg hunt!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Welcome! Where in Illinois are you located? We are in Oak Park, just outside Chicago.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #4

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Welcome, Marje. I just drove all the way from Central VA up to your neighborhood (Round Lake, IL) to buy my '83 Burro (13 footer.) They seem a little more commonly available up there than around here. Good luck in your search.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #5

Illinois
Kevin , Im in the northwest corner of Illinois, near the borders of IA and WI.

Donna thanks for the welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
Welcome, Marje. I just drove all the way from Central VA up to your neighborhood (Round Lake, IL) to buy my '83 Burro (13 footer.) They seem a little more commonly available up there than around here. Good luck in your search.

Froggie
Froggie they dont seem common around me, maybe because Im looking for a fixer -upper. And to be honest driving near Chicago scares the stuffing outta me! OOHHH the traffic!

If I lived in Florida I would have snagged up the little Love-bug that was for sale last week on CL....
Old 07-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #6

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marje View Post
Froggie they dont seem common around me, maybe because Im looking for a fixer -upper. And to be honest driving near Chicago scares the stuffing outta me! OOHHH the traffic!

If I lived in Florida I would have snagged up the little Love-bug that was for sale last week on CL....
Well, I saw the one I got on the fiberglass rv 4 sale site and it was just what I wanted in a fixer-upper. All the heavy lifting had been done by the PO and I just have to do wires, water, and gas as well as cosmetics like curtains, floor covering, etc.

I was too dumb to know what a chore it was driving in and around Chicago at rush hour, so that's when I got there. Driving back out right after noon pulling the trailer was much easier! Anyway, i just "had"to do it, since this was the Burro of my dreams. Hang in and keep looking. You'll find what you are looking for.

Froggie
Old 07-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Marge,

You can wave at our UHaul as it passes in a couple of weeks. Both Kevin and I are from NE Iowa. We plan a trip there at the end of next week. We like to take 20 when going to IA. We like to golf at Woodbine Bend in Wlizabeth.

CindyL (married to Kevin)
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #8

Illinois
Froggie youve got guts!! LOL I would have to hire someone to drive that city for me!

Youll see me wavin if I see you!!!! Im not far from 20!
Old 07-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #9

Registry
Oh, man, Froggie,

I absolutely HATE driving (really I mean riding. I don't drive Chicago with the trailer!) Chicago with our Uhaul even when it is not rush hour! I close my eyes while hubby is doing it and hold my breath. Chicago drivers can be so rude; they see a trailer and immediately move to cut you off. If you are in their way, i.e. in their lane, they will honk, because you are going to slow. And the worst for me is the condition of the streets. I live in fear of the ruts and holes that make us bounce all the time.

But, to get out of Oak Park, we have to do it. We just try to avoid doing it during rush hour.

CindyL
Old 07-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #10

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Oh, man, Froggie,

I absolutely HATE driving (really I mean riding. I don't drive Chicago with the trailer!) Chicago with our Uhaul even when it is not rush hour! I close my eyes while hubby is doing it and hold my breath. Chicago drivers can be so rude; they see a trailer and immediately move to cut you off. If you are in their way, i.e. in their lane, they will honk, because you are going to slow. And the worst for me is the condition of the streets. I live in fear of the ruts and holes that make us bounce all the time.

But, to get out of Oak Park, we have to do it. We just try to avoid doing it during rush hour.

CindyL
Actually, as I came down through Chi-town from the North, my lugs started loosening and the wheels started wobbling (the only problem I had with the Burro coming home) and somebody pulled up alongside and let me know what was going on so I could get off at the next wide spot safely. I really can't complain about Chicago traffic that much (just about everybody has rush hour!) but maybe I just got lucky, but I'll take it!

Back to my Burro, a local U-Store-It place has a fenced-in lot where I can leave it safely... my yard has lots of trees, and nothing would hurt my feelings quite so bad as an oak branch sticking up through the Fan-Tastic vent or worse! Anyway, I've gotten ensconced in my safe and secure spot and with the combination to the front gate I can visit whenever I like and come and go with the trailer at will. Sounds like a plan!

Froggie
Old 07-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #11

Registry
PM me, Marje. I am curious just where you are. I love that part of IL and IA. My husband and I grew up in NE IA. It is a little secret (Well, I guess not so much anymore, because of the eagles.) that few people know of. Not all of IA and IL are flat.

CindyL
Old 07-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #12

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
PM me, Marje. I am curious just where you are. I love that part of IL and IA. My husband and I grew up in NE IA. It is a little secret (Well, I guess not so much anymore, because of the eagles.) that few people know of. Not all of IA and IL are flat.

CindyL
We are in the "Rolling Hills of JD county" !! I didnt realize how flat Illinois was until we actually drove south!
Old 07-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #13

Registry
Yep, both western IL and eastern IA are beautiful.

CindyL