Hello I'm John E. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-09-2015, 08:53 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot
Iowa
Registry
Hello I'm John E.

Hello to everyone, glad to be a part of these forums. I joined because I'm actively shopping for a trailer, preferably a Bigfoot or Escape, anything that can be towed by a Ford F-150 half ton.

I'm planning on taking it to Alaska, hopefully this season. I've been looking at Canadian ads due to the many trailers I see there, and the favorable strength of the US$ at this time.

Retired mechanical engineer ready to go camping!

Best regards to all,
John Eddy (unfortunately not of the Eddy Match dynasty)
John Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:23 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If you are thinking about buying a used trailer in Canada, be sure to carefully research the import issues. There can be some serious pitfalls/problems when you try to enter the U.S..
Also See the posts under "WTB 17 ft. Bigfoot 1500 or 2500..." currently running.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:38 AM   #3

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Welcome to FGRV Bob. We have a 17' Bigfoot and really enjoy it. Because we live in Bellingham, WA near the Canadian border, we looked at several Bigfoots up in BC when we were looking for ours. We talked with a customs broker with offices in Blaine, WA and they gave us some good information and also said that if we had any problems they could assist us since their office is right there in Blaine, WA literally yards from the border crossing and they can be on hand almost immediately (for a fee of course, but I don't remember it being exorbitant). As I remember, from what we learned in our reserch both with the customs broker and the Fed. Border Control guys, bringing a Bigfoot or other Canadian made trailer into the US didn't sound very complicated as long as the trailer was road-worthy and you had a title, bill of sale, etc. In the end, we found our Bigfoot down in Oregon so we didn't have to put any of the information to the test.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:54 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Try this site. Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #5

Iowa
Registry
Bob,

Thanks for the heads up. I'm reading about the importation issue now. It looks like a key item is whether there is a DOT or CSA compliance sticker on the trailer.

Does anyone know if either Bigfoot or Escape has these? I'm looking at mid 2000 vintage trailers at this time.

Thanks again,
John E.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:01 AM   #6

Iowa
Registry
Thanks Evergreen Girl,

Can you tell me what year your trailer is, and whether it has a DOT or CSA compliance sticker affixed? Note my reply to Bob Miller. Thanks again for the info.

John E.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:18 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I believe this is what you are looking for. It's on my Escape.
Attached Thumbnails
CSA sticker.jpg  
Old 03-09-2015, 10:38 AM   #8

Iowa
Registry
Thank you Glen!

Yes, now I hope I can verify that Bigfoot also has something like this, as I'd like to have the option of both manufacturers.

From the research I've done, both seem to be excellent.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:49 AM   #9

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
This compliance has been law in Canada for a long time if manufactured for sale, home made trailers are different; so most trailers manufactured meet the standard I do not know when it started but manufactured trailers will have been made to the standards as they apply at the time of manufacture. Ours has an owner ship stating make, model, year made and size, home made trailers say they are home made on owner ship if sold in Canada.
Come visit your friendly cousins in Canada (We are all North Americans) one big family minor differences aside. ha ha
Old 03-09-2015, 10:58 AM   #10

We have had reports in the past year that the CSA sticker IS NOT the DOT sticker needed to import. While it may mean the same thing, I haven't seen any reports of it being accepted as such.

In lieu of the DOT sticker you can use a letter of compliance from the manufacturer, but as many of those are no longer around, and BigFoot doesn't support the pre-BK trailers, it may not be easy.

New trailers will come in with a Certificate of Origin and a Certificate of Compliance before getting first registration in the US.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:06 AM   #11

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Escapes come with a MCOO and a certificate of compliance for US import. They also handle all the export paperwork for you. If you're a US buyer and you get one new, they export the trailer across the border to Sumas WA where you take possession. They also offer a US delivery service for a substantial fee. I don't know how Bigfoot arranges the export, but I assume they also have a streamlined process having dealt with many US buyers.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:22 AM   #12
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Hey there John.... with that big F150 you would be very comfortable in a BigFoot.

One like this is large enough to hide in just in case a big Alaskan Grizzly comes poking around.
Attached Thumbnails
big foot 7155.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:06 PM   #13

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
First are we talking new or used. If a new Escape, according to forum Members, Tammy and Reese (sp) have been very helpful to purchasers of their new units in assisting with the border entry to the U.S. I have retrieved two used trailers from Canada one an 18 foot Trillium and just last month a 17 foot gaucho model Big Foot. I am told that trailers 1981 or older are less troublesome when crossing the border. Both of my trailers were 1981 or older and I experienced no problems at the border. In both cases, since I lack a passport ( no I don't have a driving while intoxicated conviction I have just been lax about getting the passport ) the prior owners were kind enough to meet me on the U.S. side of the border with all paper work in order. Be aware apparently some parts of Canada do not issue a title per se for some sizes of travel trailers. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:32 PM   #14

The breaking point for age is 25 years, meaning in 2015 that 1989 and maybe 1990's get a free pass. Here's a clip from the current NHTSA site: (Bold italics mine) that states what those LESS than 25 years of age must have.

Compliance Needed to Import Motor Vehicles and Equipment
As part of its safety mandate, NHTSA monitors motor vehicles and items of motor vehicle equipment that are imported into the United States for compliance with applicable FMVSS and regulations. To be imported free of restriction, a motor vehicle less than 25 years old must be originally manufactured to comply with all applicable FMVSS and bear a label certifying such compliance that is permanently affixed by the vehicle’s fabricating manufacturer. To be lawfully imported, a new or used item of motor vehicle equipment that is subject to an FMVSS must, as originally manufactured, conform to the standard and be so certified by its fabricating manufacturer. In most instances, the fabricating manufacturer's certification of compliance with the applicable FMVSS for regulated safety equipment is evidenced by the symbol “DOT” either inscribed on the equipment item in a prescribed location, or placed on the outside of the container in which the equipment item is shipped. See 49 U.S.C. §§ 30112 and 30115.

BTW: If you are a WA resident with a WA drivers license, I believe you can also get an "Enhanced Drivers License" for crossing into and out of Canada, that's what my ex in WA uses.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:03 PM   #15

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Hmm, to my understanding trailer is NOT a motor vehicle.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:36 PM   #16

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome John to the forum
Old 03-10-2015, 08:57 PM   #17

It may be a motor vehicle or it may be an "accessory", but that is the rule that is followed for bringing a trailer in from Canada. Less that 25 years old, needs a DOT sticker, Older?, not defined/mentioned.

In many states the term "Vehicle" and "Motor Vehicle" is used interchangeaby. Otherwise, for example, how could the "California Motor Vehicle Code" also govern trailers.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #18

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
John, our trailer is a 1987, but like I said, we did not get it in Canada, but in Oregon. We are the third owners and I don't know how it was originally imported into the US. We did look at trailers in Canada and talked by phone with both Customs Brokers (private enterpise folks who help other people import/export goods) and Customs Agents/Border Patrol Agents (federal employees). Both sources indicated that it would not be difficult to import a Bigfoot., but I don't remember specific details about what was required because in the end we didn't go that route.

I'll try to get a look at our trailer tomorrow to see what sort of stickers it might have on it. I do remember it has something, but not sure what.

Also , Bob Miller is correct. In WA state you can get an Enhanced Driver's License to use for going back and forth across the border. Cheaper than a passport. It's what I use!

Friends of ours bought a brand new Escape and I believe the company brought the trailer across the border to them in Blaine, WA.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:08 PM   #19

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Escape is bringing its trailers over at Sumas.

You can get a passport card, size of a driver's license, that is for border crossing, instead of a passport.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Name: Tony
Trailer: Dutchman
Massachusetts
That BigFoot's nice. Thanks for joining John...it's great to have you here

Tony
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote