hello I'm new to everything.. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-31-2019, 10:47 PM   #1

Name: nancy
Trailer: currently shopping
California
hello I'm new to everything..

my name is nancy and I'm new to this site and new to everything. i don't own a trailer but I'm very much interested in gettin gone. i hope to find out more on this site, thanks so much.
kwonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:11 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Nancy!

Do you have a vehicle you plan to tow with? That may narrow down the possibilities. Otherwise, start with the trailer: gotta haves, wanna haves, special requirements, approximate budget, condition desired...

You can start searching the classifieds here and at www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com to get an idea of what's available and what they cost. You can also check out the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World to get an idea of how much they really weigh (especially if you already have a vehicle you want to use). Post #297 links to a spreadsheet of the data.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:10 AM   #3

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Research, research, research!

If the trailers are still being made, check out the mfgrs websites to get an idea of the floor plans. If possible, view trailers you're interested in by seeing them in person. Either ask on this forum if anyone near you has such-and-such brand. Or contact the mfgr to see if they have names of folks willing to show you their trailer. (And if you purchase new, provide that name as the company might have a referral program going and that person will get a check mailed to them for a certain sum of money.)

This forum covers all brands of fiberglass trailers. If you're interested in one particular brand, there might be forums just for that brand. Either way, read all that you can so you can educate yourself on what you want.

Decide what are definite needs/wants. For me, it was a full length bed (I'm tall) and a bathroom. Others might and do have different needs/wants. If you really want a bathroom, for example, you're not going to be happy getting a trailer without one after the two dozen times going out at night to the campground facilities.

How many people are going to be using the trailer? Is there enough room for everyone to sit around without being in each others laps and nerves? If you view trailers, take everyone with you so you can see how you all fit.

Do you want to make the bed each night from the dinette area or do you want a permanent bed? Some trailers you have to make the bed from the dinette, which could get old real fast for some folks. And, I dunno, if I had to do that, I'd probably want a foam topper as it doesn't look too comfortable sleeping with those cushion sections under me (I'm a Princess and the Pea sort of sleeper).

Have you ever used a trailer or motorhome or tent before? I never had, so before we got super serious about getting a trailer, I rented a motorhome and took it on the road for over 3 weeks. I knew ahead of time I didn't want a motorhome, but my FJ wasn't set up for towing. I wanted to see if I liked being on the road in an RV and all that. It wasn't cheap to rent, but it was money well spent, as opposed to buying something and then deciding RVing was not what I wanted. After that trip I heard about fiberglass trailers and really started to research them. While I was using the motorhome I got to see lots of other rigs and kind of figured out what I didn't like. And we hit a lot of dealers and a few RV shows. Very few fiberglass trailers are sold through a dealer network.

Anyway, have fun researching your needs and wants and what will fit them. :

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:41 PM   #4
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Welcome Nancy! Ask a lot questions. There are a lot of people here with a lot of knowledge that can help. Have fun in your search for your perfect home away from home!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:54 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Rallies are the best way by far to see multiple sizes and brands. Most molded FG trailers are not sold by RV dealers so you are not going to see them there. Go to a couple of rallies, trailer owners are typically more than happy to welcome you in. Thats how we found out an Escape 19 was best for us.

Some manufacturers also have volunteer owners that they will refer you to so you can see a trailer nearby if you have targeted a particular brand. Of course, almost all of the vintage brand molded trailer companies are long out of business, so if you pick one of those, the factory is gone too.

Much different than traditional built trailers, there are many differences between the brands, from floorplans, to interior cabinetry, to size, and to weight. And some options on one brand are standard on another. So a brand that may look cheaper in price may not be once you outfit it with everything you want.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote