Hello - looking for my first fiberglass trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-04-2018, 01:55 PM   #15

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
It's true, I rarely think about, and don't really know much about Olivers.

ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:52 AM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, 2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
California
The Olivers are 8 feet wide (as are the bigfoots). my Escape is 7 feet wide, my Casita is 6 feet wide. my Tacoma is 6 feet wide. the Tacoma can pull the Escape OK with mirror extenders, but i'd want a larger vehicle to pull an Oliver or Bigfoot.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:29 AM   #17

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
The Olivers are 8 feet wide (as are the bigfoots). my Escape is 7 feet wide, my Casita is 6 feet wide.
Olivers are not 8 feet wide. They're 7 feet wide (outside). The inside width is 6'7". Also, Casitas are 6'8" wide, not 6 feet.

Escapes vary in width depending on the model. The 17 is 6'8", the 19 is 7 feet, the 21 and 5.0TA are 7'4".
Old 01-05-2018, 09:56 AM   #18

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter-ing while I shop
Denver, CO
Two good ways to view molded fiberglass trailers:
Rallies, at regional campgrounds. I think I've seen some listed here in the margins.
Also, most manufacturers will refer you to owners nearby willing to show theirs.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:42 PM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, 2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Olivers are not 8 feet wide. They're 7 feet wide (outside). The inside width is 6'7". Also, Casitas are 6'8" wide, not 6 feet.

Escapes vary in width depending on the model. The 17 is 6'8", the 19 is 7 feet, the 21 and 5.0TA are 7'4".
it sure seems like the escape is signficant;y wider than the casita.... casita 16, I needed no towing mirror extensions to see around it with my Tacoma. I bet its only 6'8 at the band, since it tapers in above and below the band.. the escape, even my 2014 (original, not the new updated one) seems much more slab sided
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #20

Texas
Registry
Quote:
it sure seems like the escape is signficant;y wider than the casita.... casita 16, I needed no towing mirror extensions to see around it with my Tacoma. I bet its only 6'8 at the band, since it tapers in above and below the band.. the escape, even my 2014 (original, not the new updated one) seems much more slab sided
All the width specs are from the widest point (in this case the belly band). The Casita shell does have more radius at the top than Escapes have. Also, the original Escapes do have flat sides, even though tapered toward the top and bottom from the band and not vertical from the band as in the 2nd gen models. The Casita sides have a constant curve. Perhaps that's what you were seeing.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:38 PM   #21

Montana
Registry
It definitely helps to have towing mirrors with my Bigfoot. I only put them on for longer trips, and I feel safe driving around on shorter trips without them. I just have to be a lot more aware, and get out and actually look at things more often.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:41 PM   #22

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
It definitely helps to have towing mirrors with my Bigfoot. I only put them on for longer trips, and I feel safe driving around on shorter trips without them. I just have to be a lot more aware, and get out and actually look at things more often.
Zach - that is not logical. You either need them or you dont. I use one on my Bigfoot - every time.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #23

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
Quote:
I used towing mirrors with my Casita 17, and I use the same mirrors with my Escape 19. I would not say I "need" it with either, BUT, in my case, I have a truck camper top on my pickup. You cannot look through either side of the top (no side windows). So the towing mirrors help even when I don't have a trailer on back.

As far as the Escape versus our Casita, we really notice the aisle way in the middle is wider. In our case, my wife and I can get by each other easily on the Escape which we could not do on our Casita. It may only be a couple of inches, but it is appreciated!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:14 PM   #24

Montana
Registry
I agree with your point, but I'm not sure if I agree that I "need" them. With the small convex mirrors on my standard side-views, I can see well enough to feel safe.

I can see what's just behind me in the passing lane, and if I need to move into the passing lane, I just move to the far outside of the road, and when I steer back towards the inside, I can see around the trailer... It sounds bad but is not a swerve, and I can see just fine when I do it...Luckily it's rare that I need to move into the passing lane. It sounds bad writing it, I'll admit, but feels perfectly safe and adequate in the moment.

I'd say I can see about as well as a semi. They have a huge blind spot behind them.

Is there a certain range of view that is considered safe or legal? I'm not one to take big chances when driving. I feel I can see what I need to see when changing lanes. With the extensions I don't need to do the side-to-side movement.

I guess I feel that the movement is not dangerous, and allows me see safely.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #25

Montana
Registry
I have to admit, "listening" to how that sounds makes me feel I should probably just keep my mirror extension on all the time...

But I really can see all I need to see, safely, doing that move from side to side.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Most state laws specify mirrors that give a clear view at least 200 feet behind the rear of the vehicle. That would, I assume, be referring to the adjacent lanes.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:22 PM   #27

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Most state laws specify mirrors that give a clear view at least 200 feet behind the rear of the vehicle. That would, I assume, be referring to the adjacent lanes.
It's actually see the adjacent lanes back 200 feet from the rear of the vehicle. You don't need to see what is directly behind you.

(4) Where a trailer or semitrailer in a combination of vehicles diminishes the driver's reflected rear view through the rear view mirrors required by subsections (1) to (3), the towing vehicle in the combination of vehicles shall be equipped with 2 mirrors, one affixed to each side of the motor vehicle, and each to provide the driver with an undistorted reflected view of the adjacent lane of the highway from a point on the road surface 11 m ( 36 feet ) behind the driver to a point on the road surface 61 m ( 200 feet ) from the rear of the combination of vehicles.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:34 PM   #28

Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
...and don't really know much about Olivers.
I don't know much about them either, but with what I do know, I'm very impressed with their quality.

I really dislike the layout however, and the tiny side dinette. If they ever tweaked the layout to provide a front/rear dinette/bed arrangement with a side bath and a larger fridge, I'd have to seriously consider them.