Hello, New and excited!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-26-2016, 10:42 PM   #1

Name: Derek
Trailer: In the market
Wyoming
Thumbs up Hello, New and excited!!!

Hi everyone. I Signed up a couple of weeks ago. My name Derek. My wife and I decided that our little one(14mo) is ready to start camping this summer. We have a 4cyl outback that will be doing the pulling. We need it to at least sleep 3. If it's raining throw a big dog in there as well. Price range is kind of open. I guess not more than a new one. Anyways hope to get some input from you all. I thought I was set on the 13 scamp std. But after finding this website I realize I have other options. Hope to hear back.

Ps. Thanks for all those leads you all have already given me.
Looking forward to being educated in the world of fiberglass campers.
Derek
DerekFrenette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:57 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Check the owners manual for the tow rating on your 4 cyl outback. Online specs state 2700 lbs (total loaded weight) with a 200 lb tongue rating. That means a small trailer.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:30 PM   #3

Name: Donald
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 (Subaru Outback Stranded Me)now towing with RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Major overkill.
California
And in adverse conditions (104 degrees plus and long climbs), cut the rating to 1350 lbs. on my 2011 4 cyl with CVT.

Don
Sacramento
Old 02-27-2016, 09:25 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Derek!

Outbacks have their limitations, but if you stick with a small, basic 13'er, you should be okay. Quite a few people here do tow small eggs with them. You didn't mention what year yours is- ratings and caveats vary, so best to check your owner's manual carefully.

The 200 pound tongue weight limit seems to apply to most versions and years, and it complicates matters. A travel trailer should normally carry at least 10% of total weight on the hitch for stable towing, so that means you need to keep the trailer weight under 2000 pounds fully loaded.

Quite a few basic front bunk, no bath 13'ers fit the bill. New options include Scamp and the brand-new Happier Camper HC1. Used options include Scamp, Casita, Boler, Trillium, and a number of less-common vintage makes.

As I said elsewhere, lots of folks are looking for the same thing, so you'll need to keep up with all the molded fiberglass listing sites and move quickly when a likely candidate comes up.

Here are some helpful resources, if you haven't found them already:
Molded Fiberglass Options
Trailer Weights in the Real World (see post #297)
Molded Fiberglass Classifieds
Buyer's Checklist

Glad you're starting young! A small fiberglass trailer is a perfect way to camp with young children. The small size is conducive to spending most of your time outdoors, as should be, but it's sure nice to have a snug retreat at night and in bad weather. Compared to a tent or tent trailer, a hard-side trailer means you have a place to go during lunch breaks, diaper change stops,…, when you're on the road.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #5

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
If you have 2700 lb towing capacity, you should be able to tow a 16' Scamp or Casita with bathroom as long as you avoid long trips with full tanks. With a growing child and a large dog, I think you'd feel less cramped. If you don't already have one, a transmission oil cooler would add i bit more peace of mind. I did that with a '94 16' Casita Deluxe and a 2000 lb tow rated Forester for awhile.

Walt
Old 02-27-2016, 03:51 PM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi!
Where does the dog sleep when it's not raining?
Attached Thumbnails
Baby Shakka.jpg  
Old 02-27-2016, 06:26 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekFrenette View Post
Hi everyone. I Signed up a couple of weeks ago. My name Derek. My wife and I decided that our little one(14mo) is ready to start camping this summer. We have a 4cyl outback that will be doing the pulling. We need it to at least sleep 3. If it's raining throw a big dog in there as well. Price range is kind of open. I guess not more than a new one. Anyways hope to get some input from you all. I thought I was set on the 13 scamp std. But after finding this website I realize I have other options. Hope to hear back.

Ps. Thanks for all those leads you all have already given me.
Looking forward to being educated in the world of fiberglass campers.
Derek

Check out this post, for the trailer weights 'in the real world'.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
Based on your tow vehicle, and the weights for 16footers, you will be totally maxed out (if able to safely tow at all) with a 16. IMO, the 13 is the safest bet with your tow vehicle. Always leave a safety margin. Welcome to the group, and good luck on your search.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:54 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Where does the dog sleep when it's not raining?
Raining or dry, many love the space under the dinette when it's made into a bed. It makes a very snug canine cave.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:01 PM   #9

Wyoming
I have a 2011 outback that has a 1500 tow rating. Does anyone know the weight of the 13 uhaul camper. I've been having trouble finding info on them. I'm pretty sure the 13 Casita does not sleep more than 2. But I may be wrong on that.
And my dog actually sleeps in the back of the subaru, rain or shine. I just mentioned him so you all would know that I have a heavy dog traveling with us. Quite a bit heavier than that adorable pug :
Btw how did you post that picture.?
Old 02-27-2016, 10:48 PM   #10

Name: Donald
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 (Subaru Outback Stranded Me)now towing with RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Major overkill.
California
You mist have the 6 cyl. Outback. On that one the hot weather rating is 1500 with a max of 3000 in other conditions. I would not try and max out my vehicle towing rating. I would think a 13 is better for all conditions. Subaru did not change the tongue weight limit for the 6 though so you still have that 200 lb. limit to deal with.

Don
Sacramento
Old 02-28-2016, 12:02 PM   #11

Registry
Cool

Derek: Thanks, that was our baby "Shakka" (as in Shakka Zulu). She was a cutie, wasn't she? And little.

JON: Pugs would probably LOVE to sleep under the bed. I was thinking of putting their crates under there at night.

Derek: Posting a picture: You write some things in the message area, then below the message area you click on the "Go Advanced" button. Watch for your new message area to come up with your message, and click on the paper clip.

It lets you browse through your own photos stored on your computer. Browse, select, push the "Upload" button, and then close the window. Go ahead and hit "Post Quick Reply" and your picture will magically appear in your message up in the thread. You won't see it in the area you're actually writing in.

I'm still waiting for some photos from Paul so we can show some of the work he's doing on the amerigo.

BEST
Old 02-28-2016, 01:17 PM   #12

Wyoming
Cool , thanks for the info Kai. I have never met a pug that didn't put a smile on my face.
Hopefully i will have some pictures of a camper to post soon.
D-
Old 02-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #13

Arizona
Registry
Hello, New and excited!!!

After you upload pictures using the "Manage Attachments" window, you can also insert pictures within the text by putting your cursor where you want it and clicking on the paperclip icon again. A drop-down list of your loaded pictures will appear. Choose the one you want and an attachment will pop up in your post.

That allows you to caption each picture.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:49 PM   #14

Registry
Aha! Thanks, Jon!
Old 03-05-2016, 03:42 AM   #15

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
There is an 18 ft Burro advertised on here that claims to be 1200 lbs - I asume that is empty and dry and a low ball estimate. It has no bathroom but u can do with a porto potty if u camp in campgrounds. The goucho in the front can be the baby's bed with one of those guard sides you slide under the cushions. And if the front goucho has a lifting back, you'll have bunks when the next baby comes.

I got a 16ft Casita with bunks front and side ao we can sleep 4 and leave the dinette up all the time. It feels both cozy and roomy. The Casita is heavier than the Burro (at 1600 lbs empty,l partly because the walls are carpeted. The Burro walls are smooth, washable fiberglass. Glad it didnt come on the market before I bought mine las fall or I would have given up the extra 2 bunks for the maintenance free walls inside and the wider body.

If you think you are going to be on the edge of the limit when towing, dont get a bath, dont port any water or wood, and dont carry heavy things like cast iron pots. Good luck!