Hello! New here :) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-14-2016, 11:42 PM   #1

Name: Nicole
Trailer: In the market
Washington
Hello! New here :)

Hi! I am interested in fiberglass trailers because my Hyundai Elantra has a towing capacity of 1,000 lbs. I've never owned a camper before but I want to get out more and enjoy the world. I am also going to Burning Man next year and need a good camper. My ideal at this point would be a Teardrop American Outbacker, but they are sure hard to come by.

Thanks, everyone! I look forward to browsing the threads.
Enesvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:32 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enesvy View Post
Hi! I am interested in fiberglass trailers because my Hyundai Elantra has a towing capacity of 1,000 lbs. I've never owned a camper before but I want to get out more and enjoy the world. I am also going to Burning Man next year and need a good camper. My ideal at this point would be a Teardrop American Outbacker, but they are sure hard to come by.
Thanks, everyone! I look forward to browsing the threads.
Welcome to FGRV. Hate to say this but I doubt your Elantra is going to work out for any of the molded TTs. Think the lightest ones come in at 1200#s plus. You're probably going to have to stick to a Teardrop or trade up to a stronger tug. Others will be along soon.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:41 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum, Nicole!

Borrego Dave is correct. Molded fiberglass travel trailers- at least the kind you can stand up in- all weigh well over 1000 pounds even minimally loaded. I've seen a number of ads claiming 800 or 900 pounds. Those are dry weights- they don't include the appliances, propane tanks, batteries, or any of your stuff- and they're suspect even then. A gutted, empty shell, maybe.

A teardrop is within the realm of possibility, but even then, some larger units that have complete kitchens on the back, AC, TV and stereo,... can get surprisingly heavy.

The American Outbacker teardrop has been mentioned here a few times, but not often. I vaguely recall it is plastic, not fiberglass, but I could be wrong. Not many made, I think.

You might set up a Craigslist search for teardrops. Occasionally I see simple home-built units for sale, often quite inexpensive. It won't be molded fiberglass, of course, but it will give you a dry, secure place to sleep off the ground.

A motorcycle trailer is another possibility, but they usually have canvas and fold out. Don't know how that would stand up in the Mojave Desert- it can get pretty windy.

Remember to allow for your stuff. The lighter and more basic the trailer, the more extra camping gear you'll have to bring along. I would be looking for something under 500 pounds, so you can add your clothes, food, and gear without overloading your vehicle.

How about a used van instead, and leave your nice Elantra at home? It doesn't have to be a full camper van as long as it has a fold out bed. I camped for a few years in a hand-me-down travel van. Unlike a teardrop, you can invite a friend or two inside...
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:05 AM   #4

Name: Julie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Nicole, have you considered a roof top tent? Take a look at autohome.com. Should be doable with an Elantra. I too have an Elantra. Decided I wanted a Scamp, so I went out and bought a Subaru Outback. Made my Scamp very expensive indeed! The good news is that I love my Scamp. It is my "happy place." Good luck!

Julie
Julie and Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:31 PM   #5

Arizona
Registry
How about this?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultralight Homebuilt.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	99788

It would sure get attention at Burning Man!

Link to Craigslist ad: https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/rvs/5748956026.html
Old 09-15-2016, 01:14 PM   #6

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
How about this?
Attachment 99788

It would sure get attention at Burning Man!

Link to Craigslist ad: https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/rvs/5748956026.html
That's possibly the biggest foil-wrapped taco I've ever seen.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBreez View Post
That's possibly the biggest foil-wrapped taco I've ever seen.
And for $1800 you can become the carne filling!
Old 09-15-2016, 01:56 PM   #8
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
The Lite House, manufactured near Albuquerque, NM in the mid-1990's, were marketed as suitable for towing with small cars. Not many were built, however; finding a used one isn't easy.

I think the molds were acquired by Weiscraft (?), for the Little Joe trailers; but I don't think the Little Joe is quite as lightweight as the Lite House was... (And I could be quite wrong about the Little Joe being a clone of the Lite House.)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:08 PM   #9

Illinois
Look up Mini mate .I have a 13 Scamp & a Kompact Kamp ( original Mini Mate ). I pull Scamp with a Jeep Compass , & pull the other with my Miata . I love both .The Mini Mate is really only good for only one person . I heat both with a small cube type elect. heater .I've been comfortable in both at freezing temps.
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:24 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
2012 Sonata had touble towing a Little guy 4ft wide tear drop

We had a 2012 Hyundai Sonata and towed a 4-wide little guy tear drop to Yellowstone.

Although it did tow, the car had a 1,000 lb tow rating. It struggled towing it but it was doable.

The Sonata would never be able to tow a 13 Scamp..sorry..

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:31 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
You might try a My-Pod.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:22 PM   #12

Illinois
My Pod cool

My Pod , cool ,but unable to stand up . Also look up Bunk House , sleeps 2 . This is another fine , lightweight , pop-up . If not liking any of the lighter units , I agree , you'll just have to get a larger tow vehicle .-
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:49 PM   #13

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
There are ways to cut the weight down to create a much lighter weight trailer out of one of the lighter weight fiberglass shells.

One thought is to get a Campster or Compact trailer, gut it and put in new but minimal weight interior fittings. The original interiors are full of heavy plywood but nowadays you can get Balsa core plywood and other types of lightweight cored panel materials. Instead of using foam mattress use inflatable or self inflating mattresses. Take only light weight cook ware made for back packing. Don't have a heavy stove or fridge. You don't need thick heavy counter tops or a thick heavy dinette table. Too many people assume it has to be fitted out the way a kitchen in a house is done but it does not.

If the trailer frame is at the end of its life cycle consider having it mounted onto an aluminum trailer frame. It cost more but there is weight savings.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:53 PM   #14

Washington
Thank you all!

It has been great reading your replies. In the time since I posted I have invested in a 2011 Nissan Xterra which has a 5,000 lb towing capacity. So now I can look into more fiberglass trailers.

Loved the taco above!
Old 10-08-2016, 02:16 PM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Good move Nicole, you've really opened up the choices now, good luck in your search.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I saw an American teardrop about a week ago at a vintage show
The guy has or had it listed on
Los angeles craigslist
I sent you a private msg
I think it was listed for about $4 k
Had gull wing doors
Very very light
I had one a few yrs ago probably didnt weigh over 500 lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:50 AM   #17

Washington
Thanks, Alan! I couldn't find it in LA but I did find one in Nevada. Still a bit pricey for me, darn it. Thank you again!
Old 10-09-2016, 08:10 AM   #18

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Hi, Nicole. My retirement plans ranged from hiking the Ft and At in my 40s, to purchasing a motorcycle camper Aspen and pulling it with my Toyota to a camper van as I got older and more stove up with chronic pain. And cats moved back into my life after an absence. It suddenly occurred to me that I could get somewhat back into the wilderness by owning an RV. I started to research this (I shoulda been a researcher in my former life, eh? Everything I do is either totally spontaneous or researched to death) and found that "ultralight" conventional campers were running 6,000 to 8,000 lbs and the articles and videos I could get on purchasing second hand were scaring me to death with all the potential, expensive-to fix problems. I was looking at a magazine when I saw ads for scamps and casitas in the back. I recalled seeing a scamp once or twice in my backpacking days as I was heading for the backcountry-that led me to this website- and this website was how I discovered the Parkliner and the Lil Snoozy. Choose the Lil Snoozy over the Parkliner as DH SWEARS he will come camping with me now he is semi retired. (Not holding my breath on that) But I have 3.5 cats and the basement on the Snoozy will make a fine place to stash their extra large litter box and cat beds. Hope you will find that FG camper that is just right for you.