Hello, new to the RV world - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #1

Name: scott
Trailer: shopping
California
Hello, new to the RV world

Hello all. I'm new to the RV world and have never even towed an RV before. I just got back from a trip to Yellowstone and have decided to buy a small trailer to create camping adventure memories with my wife and 2 1/2 year old son. After researching a few types, mainly teardrops and travel trailers, my wife and I have decided that a 13'-14' travel trailer would be best for our small family. Plus our driveway is only about 18 long after the gate is closed and we have 4 cylinders cars.

After some research we've concluded that aesthetically we like the 13' Uhaul Camper trailer and the Burro. We like the vertical divide through the center that Uhaul and Burro has as oppose to the horizontal divide that Casita, Scamp, Boler and others have. One thing we don't know yet is the quality of the different brands. What are some opinions about the quality between the types out there. I've heard that since Uhaul made their campers for commercial use, they are very well built and sturdy. Is this true? Or are they all just about the same?

I also noticed that Burro sells their trailers in a kit version that you assemble yourself. Has anyone done this? It would seem like a good learning experience if you're patient and have extra time.

So far we've come down to either buying a used Uhaul and restoring it or a new Burro kit and assemble it to save some money and learn a bit about how they go together. I also like the T@B clamshell. It's bigger than a traditional teardrop and kitchen is outside which keep the smoke and smells out of your living space.

Any help is greatly appreciated to help us narrow down our options in finding our perfect trailer. Thanks for reading.

Scott
scott_lobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Burro ceased operations a LONG time ago (2000 or 2001), although their website still exists. Made nice rigs, though - I've seen some great restorations.
Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #3

Name: scott
Trailer: shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Burro ceased operations a LONG time ago (2000 or 2001), although their website still exists. Made nice rigs, though - I've seen some great restorations.
Charlie Y
Thanks for the info. Any other small trailer brands that stopped their assembly line?
scott_lobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:10 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_lobe View Post
Thanks for the info. Any other small trailer brands that stopped their assembly line?
There are lots that are no longer making trailers: Boler & U-haul & Hunter & Oxygen, Lite House, Companion, Amerigo, Biggar, Oliver, Beachcomber, Play Pac, Surfside, Fiber Stream, Perris Pacer & Bigfoot ( but they are back in biz just not making their small trailers again as yet) to name just a few.

The list as to who is making them is a lot smaller :-)) Scamp, Escape, Trillium, Casita, lil Snooze & Parkliner, Little Joe, Egg Camper - are the ones I can think of ....hope I didnt miss anyone.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:25 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Scott, to FiberglassRV. If you go to the home page, I'm thinking a good 90% of the trailer in the list are no longer manufactured. However, if you're looking to buy used... it's a good thing to educate yourself with that list so, for instance if you read about a Tote 'N Tarry for sale... you'll know it may be something you would be interested in!

Good luck on your egg hunt!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I can speak to the UHaul. As you mentioned, they were designed and manufactured by UHaul for rental service. The inside surfaces are molded fiberglass as well as the outside. No rat fur, elephant skin, or plywood (except floor) on the inside. The plywood floor is encapsulated in fiberglass. A strip of carpet finishes the ceiling.

The frame is a C section with a tubular steel perimeter extension to fully support the floor. The rear bumper is cast aluminum. A small solar charger was standard, though it was only big enough to protect the batteries from self discharge while on the lot. The axle is a torsionally sprung axle with automotive grade sealed bearing hubs.

Overall, a very well made trailer. Original parts not available include rear tail light lenses and windows (though a small cache of side windows was recently discovered and is quickly evaporating). Parts to rebuild the windows are readily available and is likely needed after 25+ years.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #7

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Egg Campers are molded with a left half and a right half. The interior is molded except for carpet.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote