Hello, New (used) Scamp owner from Washington State - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #21

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Yeah, I have just removed part of the floor, only to discover that the lower main floor supports are very nearly rusted out. Not much holding the floor in! Turns out I am very skilled at welding, so I am planning on building a new frame myself. My axles appear to be very rusty too, so I am thinking I had better replace them as well.. Where would a good place be to find a new one? I haven't started looking yet, but at this point, it seems building a frame with a new axle would be close to my next step.
jcham1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:07 AM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you're ordering a Dexter torsion axle (with BRAKES), it can take 4-6 weeks, because axles are built to to the customer's specifications. So keep that timeline in mind. You'll need the current axle to get those specificiations... so don't toss it!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:33 AM   #23

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Just a little hint... If you are planning to use the trailer for the reunion at Mt. Rushmore in July, be sure to make reservations somewhere in the area or arrange for a camping spot. That is a really busy time in the Black Hills! There are several campgrounds near Custer, just minutes south of Mt. Rushmore. Crazy Horse Memorial has a campground near it, too.

Have fun!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #24

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcham1970 View Post
It does sound tempting to double, or even make ten times the money just by re-reselling, but I am beyond that now! Had I know the value of the scamp before bring it home, I probably would have sold it, but now I am hooked on it, and you can't get it from me now! I have a 13 year old son, and yesterday, we totally gutted it. It seems to be a great little project to work on with him. Even better, knowing we will be having good times traveling and camping in it. I will probably start posting pictures in the resto and mods section. For now, my goal is to get everything cleaned up, frame checked, floor and fiberglass work done, and in the mean time, plan for a layout that works for us. We have a family reunion near Mt. Rushmore in July, so I am planning to have it ready to go by then. And Tammy, sure I would like to share any ideas with you and your husband, and with anyone for that matter. Nice to know there is someone right here in town! Well, time to go to work on it!
It's certainly nice to know that you'll most likely be able to recoup every dime you put into it with interest.
Good Luck!!!
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If you're ordering a Dexter torsion axle (with BRAKES), it can take 4-6 weeks, because axles are built to to the customer's specifications. So keep that timeline in mind. You'll need the current axle to get those specificiations... so don't toss it!
+1 on getting a new axle WITH BRAKES. It will ride better, stop safely and have more resale value, should you sell it.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #26

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Quote:
Yeah, I have just removed part of the floor, only to discover that the lower main floor supports are very nearly rusted out. Not much holding the floor in! Turns out I am very skilled at welding, so I am planning on building a new frame myself. My axles appear to be very rusty too, so I am thinking I had better replace them as well.. Where would a good place be to find a new one? I haven't started looking yet, but at this point, it seems building a frame with a new axle would be close to my next step.
Jeremy,

We got our Dexter #9 axle with e-brakes (magnetic) from Six Robblees. They are a distributor. It only took around 3.5 weeks to get it, and that was w/out expedited fees. There is one in Tacoma, and they have all sorts of other things you may find useful for your restoration. Here are the locations for them.
slavandheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #27

Washington
Thanks for the heads up Donna! I will be pulling my frame this week and see about ordering an axle, so I have it in time! Thanks kevin, I think my wife got a camping spot at the koa Palmer Gulch, at least I hope so! Sounds like it will be busy. We will probably have 75 to 100 family members there from all over the country, so I am really looking forward to the trip. And thanks Slav for the website, I will check it out. I have also been looking at flexride axles, and noticed that they have adjustable ride height, and they build and ship in really short order. Decisions decisions!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up Donna! I will be pulling my frame this week and see about ordering an axle, so I have it in time! Thanks kevin, I think my wife got a camping spot at the koa Palmer Gulch, at least I hope so! Sounds like it will be busy. We will probably have 75 to 100 family members there from all over the country, so I am really looking forward to the trip. And thanks Slav for the website, I will check it out. I have also been looking at flexride axles, and noticed that they have adjustable ride height, and they build and ship in really short order. Decisions decisions!
Here in Mesa Arizona, Spec Trac made a flexiride axle for mine and installed it in two days.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #29

Washington
My mom and step dad are in Tempe right now, and heading back here to WA in a couple weeks, maybe I can have them pick up one there and bring it home.

Tags
scamp