Hello. So glad this forum is here. Looking to buy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 11:13 PM   #1

Name: Brandon
Trailer: In the market
California
Hello. So glad this forum is here. Looking to buy

Newbie to trailer world. Love camping but we have a baby on the way so we want a trailer.
Thinking a 16 footer.
WE really have no idea what we want, but sold the race car so I have some cash in hand. $10,500 what can I get?
thanks for any help.
Any advice on best threads to check out would be huge.
Brandon
bfallon101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:03 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Helpful Links

Welcome, Brandon!

Check out Trailer Weights in the Real World in the General Chat section. It's a database of actual loaded weights of various makes and models. Post #297 links to a spreadsheet that sorts, filters, and calculates averages.

Check out your intended tow vehicle's owner's manual for everything it says about towing.

Check out the 2016 Rally Map ("More" tab at the top has a link). A rally is a great way to get a look at different molded fiberglass trailers in one place, since you won't find them at local RV dealers. Contact event hosts for advice on scheduling a visit.

Also in the "More" tab, look for the Document Center and download the Buyer's Checklist. It will help you evaluate the condition of a used fiberglass trailer.

And, of course, check out the classified ads here and at Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale | Fiberglass RV's For Sale.

Your budget should give you some options. A 16' is about as small as you can go to sleep 3 and have a small wet bath. If a second child might eventually be in the picture, you might want to anticipate that now. Some models only sleep three.

We camp with four people in a 13' bunk model (you can see pictures if you click the "Registry" link under my profile at the left). Since we stay at state parks and similar with facilities, a bathroom wasn't essential for us. Scamp does make a 16' model with the same bed set-up, but more galley space and a small wet bath. It's a nice family layout.

Happy "egg" hunting!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:33 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
HEY, if you wanna make a trip to the East coast of Iowa, we have for sale in your price range, a 2000 Scamp 16' Deluxe, Side Dinette, w/ bath/shower, new microwave, new fridge, lots of improvements.
Send e-mail to Lwgcollins@aol.com I will reply with pictures and specs.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:35 PM   #4

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Brandon,

Laura and I got a new to us '05 Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe for smidge less than your budget. It is a great trailer, but not the right floorplan for you; however, other Casitas, Scamps, etc. would work for you. I like Jon's idea of finding a Scamp 16' that will sleep four (gaucho/front bunks in addition to the rear dinette/bed) and still have a small wet bath. Cozy!

In any case, I think your budget will get you a great new to you trailer. Just keep researching and be ready to jump on a nice trailer.

Take care,

Dean
Old 07-08-2016, 02:32 PM   #5

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
Your reply to Brandon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Welcome, Brandon!

Check out Trailer Weights in the Real World in the General Chat section. It's a database of actual loaded weights of various makes and models. Post #297 links to a spreadsheet that sorts, filters, and calculates averages.

Check out your intended tow vehicle's owner's manual for everything it says about towing.

Check out the 2016 Rally Map ("More" tab at the top has a link). A rally is a great way to get a look at different molded fiberglass trailers in one place, since you won't find them at local RV dealers. Contact event hosts for advice on scheduling a visit.

Also in the "More" tab, look for the Document Center and download the Buyer's Checklist. It will help you evaluate the condition of a used fiberglass trailer.

And, of course, check out the classified ads here and at Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale | Fiberglass RV's For Sale.

Your budget should give you some options. A 16' is about as small as you can go to sleep 3 and have a small wet bath. If a second child might eventually be in the picture, you might want to anticipate that now. Some models only sleep three.

We camp with four people in a 13' bunk model (you can see pictures if you click the "Registry" link under my profile at the left). Since we stay at state parks and similar with facilities, a bathroom wasn't essential for us. Scamp does make a 16' model with the same bed set-up, but more galley space and a small wet bath. It's a nice family layout.

Happy "egg" hunting!
How fantastic you were to give such a completely wonderful reply to a newbie Jon!! wow! Very, very kind of you...this forum is the BEST!!
DonnaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote