Hello, we are Francis & Michele :-) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #1

Name: Francis
Trailer: 13' Scamp, soon 2019 17' Casita
Pennsylvania
Hello, we are Francis & Michele :-)

Greetings everyone.

So quick story...

We have wanted to RV for years and I think we are going to make the move finally. Looking at new vehicles have settled on Jeep Patriot 4WD with transmission and oil cooling.

Started looking at the teardrop campers but now I am liking the look of the Burro, Trillium, Scamp to have a little bit more room.

Looking for used and was very happy to find this community online. Will have much reading to do. :-)
FXMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:17 AM   #2

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
With the Jeep Patriot you will be limiting yourself to quite small trailers (2,000 max according to this site: 2014 Jeep Patriot Towing Capacity ). A larger tow vehicle will give you more options, which, even if you don't need more capability now, might help if you want to upgrade later.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:50 AM   #3

Pennsylvania
You are correct we are looking only at small trailers. Our budget is limited and as much as I would love to have a better truck for towing/camping will have to stick with the 2000k limit of the Jeep.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:03 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Many of the published weights of fiberglass trailers are simply not true. The actual weight when loaded is considerably more.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:14 PM   #5

Pennsylvania
So the Jeep is a bad idea for towing anything bigger then a teardrop?
Old 10-26-2016, 01:04 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXMurphy View Post
If you will be doing most of your towing at lower elevations and moderate grades, if you don't plan to load up the trailer and vehicle with a lot of extra people and/or cargo, and if you don't plan to be in a hurry (never a good idea when towing, anyway), I think you will be fine with a fairly basic 13'er. Most weigh in between 1500-1800 pounds fully loaded.

Even better would be a pop-top style, like this one:
1972 Hunter Compact Jr
Haven't seen it myself, but it appears to be a pretty good deal and in good shape (faux leopard fur aside…). Road trip to Utah?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:08 PM   #7

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Well, in the Trailer Weights thread linked by Jack L, the 13' Scamps come in at less than 2,000 pounds, and these are presumably more or less loaded. There are lots of folks on this site (like Jon, who sneaked in while I was typing this) who are happy with those small Scamps. They're not hard to find used, with the classifieds here and on the Molded Fiberglass Trailers for Sale site. There's one featured today in Honey Brook, PA!

Casita makes a 13' model, but it's quite a bit heavier.

The unique Happier Camper HC1 is advertised as less than 1,200 pounds (dry weight, I assume), so you could certainly tow one. They have modular interiors that you can hose out. They're in very limited production so far, I think.

Otherwise, I think you'd be limited to older campers, like Bolers.

Alternatively, you could try to find an acceptable used SUV or truck that will tow a larger camper. But for just two people, the 13' Scamp or the Happier Camper would certainly work. You can even get the Scamp with a bathroom.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=FXMurphy;614850]Greetings everyone.

Started looking at the teardrop campers but now I am liking the look of the Burro, Trillium, Scamp to have a little bit more room.

Last year a lady riding by our house saw our teardrop in the garage and asked if she could look at it as she thought she wanted one. Later she brought her husband who decided the teardrop was too small, our Casita too big for his tow vehicle, but our 13 foot Uhaul was just right. They found a nice used Scamp 13 and bought it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:55 PM   #9

Name: Joshua
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Michigan
Welcome, I'd consider taking the trailer you want to buy to a certified scale before you purchase it. I know my 3.4L 4runner struggles with our 13' trillium in the hills. But it also has 237,000 miles.
b63215b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:28 PM   #10

Pennsylvania
Thank you for your responses, good information and much for us to learn.
:-)
Old 10-26-2016, 08:30 PM   #11

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Even better would be a pop-top style, like this one:
1972 Hunter Compact Jr
Haven't seen it myself, but it appears to be a pretty good deal and in good shape (faux leopard fur aside…). Road trip to Utah?
We have never been to Utah might have to make the trip and that Compact is quite the looker.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:07 AM   #12

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Consumer Reports does not give the Jeep Patriot a very favorable rating. Check it online from your public library if you are not a subscriber.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:32 AM   #13

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Our 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan is rated for 3600 pounds tow capacity, 360 tongue weight.

Although we "could" tow that much, I really wanted to stay well under maximum. Why push the limits?

So we ended up with a 1973 amerigo FG-16 (16') with two "twin" beds, two permanent seats, a porta-potty closet (the "Putin") and a folding table. Dry weight is about 1750, loaded it's about 2150. We've had it weighed three times at different levels of full. Loaded tongue weight without propane (we took it all out) but with two deep-cell marine batteries, is 260. With the door open, tongue weight is 280 (go figure!).

We got the car first, and only later decided to add camping ability. We were limited by both the towing capacity and my timidity. So far, since we're nowhere near capacity, the car hardly notices the trailer. Mileage is still fairly good, and I feel comfortable about the whole package..

FYI, If money is an object, the modular, Happier Camper, is not cheap--but it does look uber cool!

wishing you good hunting, and later on, happy camping!

BESt
Kai in Seattle
(Kathleen & Paul near Renton, which is near Seattle)
and the two pug girls
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 8 2016 A.jpg   Peanut 8 2016 D.jpg  

Old 10-27-2016, 05:01 PM   #14

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Jeep Patriot, when I almost bought one.

Quote:
Greetings everyone.

So quick story...

We have wanted to RV for years and I think we are going to make the move finally. Looking at new vehicles have settled on Jeep Patriot 4WD with transmission and oil cooling.

Looking for used and was very happy to find this community online. Will have much reading to do. :-)
: the sales man told me he pulls his 4000# trailer with his then the Manager got involved just as we were about to sign the paper work only to be told that the Patriot can only tow 500#'s because of the type of transmission in them. He said if we were to come back with a blown tranny we would have to pay for the repair not the warranty.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:50 PM   #15

Arizona
Registry
The owners manual for the 2016 Patriot supports towing 2000 pounds with the larger engine and tow package. Doing so will not void your warranty.
Click image for larger version

Name:	PatriotTowing.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	100847

However, the manual also specifies a limit on frontal area: 32 sq. ft. Most small eggs exceed that, which is one reason I suggested the Compact Jr. It's typically a bit lighter than many 13' eggs. More important in this case, it has a lower towing profile.

I do agree with those who suggest researching reliability as a factor in making a tow vehicle selection.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:12 PM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Francis, we have used a 2,000 lb tow rated Jeep for both our 13' Scamp standard, and a 13' Scamp Deluxe (no bathroom). One tow vehicle was a standard transmission with over-drive, and the second was an automatic. We camp every year in mountainous Colorado, Utah, as well as here in Arizona, and with both vehicles there is a lot of downshifting involved, and slowing on the 10,000 feet passes, with the engine RPM running 3,500 to 5,000 to get the job done. I lived with it for a total of 20 years, (kept 1st for 10 yrs, & 2nd now on 10 yrs) and would do it again without hesitation. We now own a 2,500 lb Lil Snoozy so we now use a pick-up truck and transplanted a 5.7 L V-8 in the Jeep.
Our best tow vehicle was a 1994 Dodge 2500 with a Cummins Diesel engine. We paid 10K for it used when it was 8 yrs old, and got 22 mpg towing or not. We used it for 13 years and sold it for 10K cause we needed the money.... never should have sold it.
Best of luck with your search.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:40 PM   #17

Pennsylvania
With all the feed back we are rethinking the budget and started looking at a 2016 v6 4WD Nissan Frontier SV.

Thanks for the feedback, I wanted to get back into a pickup anyway this might be the ticket.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:11 AM   #18

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
With all the feed back we are rethinking the budget and started looking at a 2016 v6 4WD Nissan Frontier SV.

Thanks for the feedback, I wanted to get back into a pickup anyway this might be the ticket.
Hi: FXMurphy... Here's a pic of our 2010 Nissan Frontier at work in the mountains of Tenn.
BTW Welcome to the fiberglass world!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie:Wave
Attached Thumbnails
P1040126.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:19 AM   #19

Arizona
Registry
Quote:

That will certainly open up more trailer options for you, and you can bring more gear along for the adventure.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:46 PM   #20

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: FXMurphy... Here's a pic of our 2010 Nissan Frontier at work in the mountains of Tenn.
BTW Welcome to the fiberglass world!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie:Wave
That is a great looking setup! We go to the dealer ship this weekend to give a few vehicles a spin.