Helo from Oklahoma - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2018, 08:50 PM   #1

Name: Brandon and Wendy
Trailer: Casita
Oklahoma
Helo from Oklahoma

I've been a lurker for some time. About time I introduced myself. Well, myself and the wife, Brandon and Wendy from Oklahoma.

Been interested in fiberglass campers ever since I dismantled our popup camper after a tornado. Couldn't see all the wood damage until after the tornado took her. Blessing in disguise.

Anyway, the wife finally okayed for me to start looking for a camper. I think it has to do with the fact we've become empty-nesters.

So, the search begins.

Brandon and Wendy
SMSample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:10 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Hi, welcome! Keep a sharp eye out, and if you find what you like, jump on it quickly! They tend to go fast.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:56 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome Brandon. Might want to let us know what your tug is and what size/features you're looking for. You're not a newbie to camping because of your popup but the type of camping you like may aim you to a certain type/brand. Also, posting in the "wanted" section lets possible sellers come to you .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:38 AM   #4

Oklahoma
Quote:
Mike Magee Hi, welcome! Keep a sharp eye out, and if you find what you like, jump on it quickly! They tend to go fast.

Yeah, I've noticed. LOL
Quote:

Borrego Dave Welcome Brandon. Might want to let us know what your tug is and what size/features you're looking for. You're not a newbie to camping because of your popup but the type of camping you like may aim you to a certain type/brand. Also, posting in the "wanted" section lets possible sellers come to you .

Well, we only had the popup for a couple months before the tornado hit. Only had one trip in it to Camp Driveway.

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4. Just ordered a 4-7 pin plug and brake controller.

Looking for something around the 16-17 foot range with toilet and shower. Our daughter is graduating boot camp in South Carolina and the wife wants to make that a camper trip. So, I still have a little time.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:37 PM   #5
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Welcome Brandon and Wendy and have fun in your search for the perfect camper!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:33 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSample View Post
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4. Just ordered a 4-7 pin plug and brake controller.
Looking for something around the 16-17 foot range with toilet and shower. Our daughter is graduating boot camp in South Carolina and the wife wants to make that a camper trip. So, I still have a little time.
I'm sure you already know that the 17' Casita's tongue & overall weight is way heavier than the 16'er with the same floor plan. Just something to keep in mind . Have you checked your trucks specs for towing capacities? That may eliminate some units. The 4 to 7 pin adaptor can operate the lights but won't work for the brakes. You're '02 Explorer is probably the same as my '02 Ranger. It was not pre wired for a plug and play controller so I installed a P2. It was not a hard job. FWIW, Etrailer has many videos of installs and there may be one done on your exact model.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:50 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I'm sure you already know that the 17' Casita's tongue & overall weight is way heavier than the 16'er with the same floor plan. Just something to keep in mind . Have you checked your trucks specs for towing capacities? That may eliminate some units. The 4 to 7 pin adaptor can operate the lights but won't work for the brakes. You're '02 Explorer is probably the same as my '02 Ranger. It was not pre wired for a plug and play controller so I installed a P2. It was not a hard job. FWIW, Etrailer has many videos of installs and there may be one done on your exact model.
Yeah. Trailer weights can be different between years as well. Also, I've read other posts and add aditional weight for clothes, food, etc.
I know the adapter itself will only operate the lights. I'll be running additional wiring to operate the brakes and auxiliary 12v.
Taking a page from work, I do a lot of research before jumping on a project. Too many times fixing other people's "oops, I didn't think of that" projects. [emoji15]
Old 09-19-2018, 05:02 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Helo from Oklahoma

Have you seen the thread "Trailer Weights in the Real World" in the General Chat section? Post #297 links to a spreadsheet of the data you can filter by make and model. Very helpful.

Combined with your vehicle's towing specs, it'll give you an idea of what's possible.

Best wishes finding a trailer that meets your needs!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:45 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Hi Jon,

I was looking through there last night. Lots of info. Thanks for letting me know where to look.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:25 PM   #10

Oklahoma
Update: The wife and I are now the proud parents of Cas, previously owned by BeckyIO. It was a wonderful buying experience. Very impressed with all the paperwork Becky had for Cas.
We plan on keeping the adventures going with lots of trips.
Again, thank you Becky!
Old 10-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #11

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I attended a vintage RV show in Maggie Valley, North Carolina last week....nothing for sale just a chance to go back in time. The town of Maggie Valley, NC , because of its proximity to the Smoky Mountain National Park (most visited National Park in America !)
The park gets over 10 million visitors every year and Maggie Valley has more RV Parks per square mile than any other area I have seen.....just an endless chain of RV Parks until you hit the National Park. The Park has a number of no hook-up Campgrounds inside it’s boundaries but no other services....no food stores, no restaurants, no gas stations etc....a true boondock experience with only water and dump stations in the Campgrounds.

I was surprised to see a large number of vintage fiberglass RVs on display at the vintage RV show including a great number of Uhaul fiberglass RVs....all very tiny...none had bathrooms. It was quite an education.
Oldest RV at the show was built just after World War II....in 1947 by an aircraft plant.
It looked like a WWII bomber without wings....a big unit with great wood work in the interior....exterior was aluminum just like the old bombers from the war.

If you ever get a chance to tour these old vintage RVs don’t pass it up....very interesting and a trip back in time.....no WI-FI...no air conditioning...no television, no bathrooms in most, hand pumps for water in many but some had battery power for water pumps and lights....heavy duty kitchen ranges and the classic antique refrigeration run on propane....all solid old road warriors that have stood the test of time.

Happy Camping !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote