HELP! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #1

Name: Norma J
Trailer: Scamp 19'
Michigan
HELP!

Hi, We are Scamp owners who through a weird chain of events (& a eagle eyed daughter...."Dad can fix it!") have now "Adopted" a sad, sad little Amerigo camper. We know nothing about these and will need to pick up information necessary to return this camper to her previous glory. She was abandoned on some UP of Michigan property & looks like it!
#1 No title, how can we tell the year it was manufactured?
#2 Where were the Vin numbers?
#3 Were the windows tinted plexi or has someone gotten creative in her history?
#4 Is the cute little screen door original? Probably the best feature at this point.
#5 Did they have carpet in them originally?
#6 How to get latex(?) paint off?
Once the debris is out I am sure we will have more questions then!
Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0136.jpg   SANY0137.jpg  

SANY0138.jpg   SANY0139.jpg  

Norma G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Hopefully there is an old license plate from the camper hidden inside somewhere.

Typically, camper VIN's are on the top of the right-side frame, just behind the coupler.

This is a picture of the VIN on my scamp: http://scamp.n0kfb.org/VIN_Decoding/scamp-vin_.jpg

I hope this helps!

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:05 PM   #3

Michigan
There are a couple plates on the side gummed up with paint that look like some writing, hopefully I can get some paint off to decipher them...one does have the raised letters "KOA".
Old 07-15-2018, 08:14 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Good save on the amerigo!
The vin is stamped on my 72 fg-16 on the driver side frame (tongue) about 8" in front of the shell. I would guess your's is about the same year 72-74 going by the tail light placement, vents, hook up locations etc.

I also have the KOA emblem on mine, for a time amerigo had partnered with KOA although I'm not sure what this involved. The screen door looks like an addition by a previous owner, I've never seen anything referencing a screen door in factory literature. Hopefully you have the original door or at least the hardware/hinges as those are about impossible to find.

The windows look to be the originals, tinted plexiglass is how they were made. Again if you have all of the frames & hardware you can reseal/replace the plexi. The window latches are kind of weak, just part of how they were.

If it's been left open to the weather for any length of time you'll likely be faced with floor replacement....along with most everything on top of the floor!
Best wishes with your project!
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:06 PM   #5

Michigan
The original door & 2 (enough?) hinges have surfaced from the mess.
Lot of paint on the frame so we haven't gotten a look at a Vin #. We anticipate floor repair. It has been open to the weather for who knows how long.
The original refrig is going bye- bye as it was attempting to fall out! I am sure the stove/furnace and tank need to go for safety sake. Eeeyucky!
Original table is in 1 piece so a pattern can be made & use the original hardware. I am so glad the windows are plexi, that makes that task much easier!
It also came with a concrete block...hmmm!
How did the rear bunk work? I can not picture why we would want to save it...does it add "better sleeping room?
This one has a dinette table & booth set up on the drivers side front. Was this the standard lay out?
We are saving the cute aluminum screen door.
Thanks for the info!
Old 07-15-2018, 06:11 PM   #6

North Carolina
That's great the door is there, that made the project a whole lot easier.

There was 2 different layouts, you have the front dinette - rear gaucho one...same as mine. With that you also got the outside rear cargo door & the large front window/smaller closet area. BTW all of your windows (except the rear) are the same size & will interchange with each other.
The second layout has the rear dinette with a front L shaped seating area/bed. That has the smaller front window/larger closet and has no rear outside cargo door but there is typically a rear spare tire mount as well as rear overhead storage.

The rear bunk is difficult to operate, you need to get both of the swinging arms to move in unison to properly store it in the up position. It's so heavy & awkward to move that the only way I found to put in the "up" position was to lay on my back on the bed below then use my legs/feet to swing it into place. I'm not sure what the weight limit design was on the bunk but I wouldn't trust it with much over 75 - 80 lbs. I left the bunk out when I redid ours as it is very heavy plus it covers the upper 4" of the rear side windows. The extra headroom w/o the bunk is nice too!

I've done a gut & rebuild on my amerigo as well as Kai & Paul have on theirs. You may find it helpful to read thru the posts in the amerigo section, there's so few of these out there that you should be able to read thru most of them in a couple of sessions.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:59 PM   #7

Michigan
Great information! We have discovered a holding tank & toilet in the TINY closet. Were these an add on by someone or did they actually make them to order? Thanks I will read up some more.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:20 AM   #8

North Carolina
My amerigo had a Thetford "electro touch" port a pot in it. & there was a dump valve with a hose fitting to drain it cut thru the floor in the front closet. These were factory installed and are noted for causing the floor to rot out. I left that out during my remodel.
The closet door had a bi-fold design to it which gave a little more room when using the "seat" & left that off also.

Tags
amerigo