help a noob?? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #29

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
More basic advice: NEVER buy a NEW trailer or TV until you have some experience in a less expensive rig and determine if it is the life style you want.

Two examples:

My local RV dealer doesn't take in used trailers, but he currently has about 12 used rigs on his lot, all less than 3 years old, that are bank repo's. While some of those repo's are a result of the buyers financial difficulties, many of those came from owners that bought new rigs, and sometimes huge TV's, only to find that they didn't care for the camping/RV lifestyle, but couldn't payoff the balance by selling, and just walked away, taking a huge credit hit.

Right now I am looking at a trailer in Santa Barbara, one that the seller bought new in 2007, used once for a 2 week vacation, found that they didn't like camping, and then parked it in his driveway, never to use it again. (No, it's not a FGRV)

Even renting a small pop-up and trying that for a week will tell someone a lot about the camping lifestyle.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #30

Name: del
Trailer: 1980 13' Burro
Utah
My 2 cents......never use credit for unnecessary ANYTHING!!!!!

These are other options for sure....I see small trailers for less than $1000.00 all the time.....I even have one I'd sell. Clean and usable and easy to tow....stick built.

This and an older truck or suv should fit most any budget....stay close to home and feel it out....if it is a good fit for your family....you can move up into nice units......if it's not your thing.....it's easy to sell out.

Then all you have are some great memories....funny how the breakdowns in the mud, cooking in a small trailer with all the kids, dog, spouse while your weekend trip is being rained out to be some of the best memories.

If all you want to do is sit in a park setting (rally) showing off your little treasure....remember most everyone there started small and worked there way to where they are now.....It's fun to see some newbie show up with a dream.......just be sure to stay safe.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #31

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
^^^Good Advice! If you want to live frugally and travel/work at your leisure DO NOT use credit! Sounds like you are going to need another vehicle for towing. Maybe a pickup, van or suv that you can sleep in? Then move to a trailer later on. Also I think the big dog is going to be a big problem.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #32

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I view owning an RV (ANY RV) as being the third largest asset a family can own... after a sticks and brick home, after the daily driver. Most people (who are still working for wages) only camp (at most) a couple of times a month during "dry" months and maybe a week or two vacation. That means their third most expensive asset sits for about 45 WEEKS a year. That's a horrible, horrible and expensive way to get through depreciation.

I'm grateful I own a wonderful 25 year old all molded towable that suits me and my current camping style....

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #33

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I think after 34 years, or more, my trailers are done depreciating.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #34

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Dave, we're of the same mind set.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #35

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I think after 34 years, or more, my trailers are done depreciating.
Just wish my body would quit doing that.
Though, it does have a wee bit more than 34 years on it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #36

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Wisconsin
Thanks again, everyone! See you all at some rallies soon [/QUOTE]
Think Taylor's Falls in September. Listed in Rally section
Old 01-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #37

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I view owning an RV (ANY RV) as being the third largest asset a family can own... after a sticks and brick home, after the daily driver. Most people (who are still working for wages) only camp (at most) a couple of times a month during "dry" months and maybe a week or two vacation. That means their third most expensive asset sits for about 45 WEEKS a year. That's a horrible, horrible and expensive way to get through depreciation.

I'm grateful I own a wonderful 25 year old all molded towable that suits me and my current camping style....

YMMV
sniff sniff...I miss mine already, wont be able to stay in it for a few more weekends due to obligations... If the weather is good next month, I might take a long weekend and go upstate NY, friends are haveing a campout (in their barn) If the roads are snow and ice free and weather forecast is good I so would drive the 5+ hours to go hang out for the weekend and stay in my ParkLiner!

Im not planning on letting mine sit!

deryk
Old 01-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #38

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Let me preface my response by saying I have never full-timed in an RV. I do love my 13' Scamp trailer for travel in 3-4 week bursts.

I did, however, come across some thoughts on full-time RV living while doing camp trailer research. Those who stay in cities overnight say it is important to be low key. This is called "stealth camping". You can do this by driving a van (or less so, by towing a trailer) that looks commercial or plain on the outside and is "tricked out" on the inside for your living needs. See these following internet links for ideas. One downside for living in a van is if it needs repair you are without both your wheels and your home.
Living in a Small RV: Introduction - Tynan
DIY: Convert a Van into a Campervan Part 10 - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
Good luck with your adventure!
Happy Camping!
Gilda
Old 01-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #39

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I give people credit, but I wouldn't want to stealth camp in the city. Sorry here in NJ and just about everywhere south of it its muggy in the summer and I want ac, or real good vents... stealth campers cant do that... its a rough life but to each their own

Now since I lived on a boat for many years severl friends asked me if I was planning on living in my ParkLiner... no, maybe when I retire in 20 some years lol but its not the same thing and not many places in my area that you could live in a camper trailer in a mobile home park. And I have a friend who lives in a mobile home park and she is paying about $235 a month less for the plott of land then I am in an apartment lol...I will take the extra space...for now.

deryk