help - I am interested in buying a small, light weight trailer- total weight 2000 pdd - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #1

Name: penny
Trailer: travel trailer - in the market
British Columbia
help - I am interested in buying a small, light weight trailer- total weight 2000 pdd

Hello all

I'm brand new to this website - it is terrific.
I owned a 19 foot motor home a few years back and had a great time with my dogs. I sold it because I wanted a travel trailer.

Now I want a small trailer - light weight - all I need is indoor plumbing ( no shower required) - everything else I'm flexible with.

What would you recommend?
I have 2 largish dogs.
Just me - 57 year old woman.

I live in Vancouver - and want to buy as soon as possible.
Any ideas?
And trailers for sale?
How do I find used trailers for sale - any recommendations?

Thanks all.

Penny
pwedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Look here Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Search here Search All Craig's - Ever wanted to search ALL craigslist sites at once?
As for size you will have to go look at some to see what you like.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #3

British Columbia
thanks Kevin.

by the by - how do you become a 'senior member' ?

cheers
Penny
Old 07-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwedd View Post
thanks Kevin.

by the by - how do you become a 'senior member' ?

cheers
Penny
It has nothing to do with age, but more with experience. After being a member here and making xxx posts, you will become a senior member.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It has nothing to do with age, but more with experience. After being a member here and making xxx posts, you will become a senior member.
I qualify on both counts
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:17 AM   #6

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think the number (XXX) is 100.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:46 AM   #7
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Look here Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Search here Search All Craig's - Ever wanted to search ALL craigslist sites at once?
As for size you will have to go look at some to see what you like.
Of course, we also have a section on this website, where people post trailers (and other things) for sale.

The section is Classified and the forum is For Sale: Molded Fiberglass Trailers for Sale.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #8
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Penny, one of the best fgrv manufacturers out there these days is in Chilliwack, BC. You may not be looking for a new trailer (which is, arguably, expensive) but you should check out this website anyways:

Escape Trailer Industries
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:18 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile

Penny,

My wife and I were faced with the same problem. We wanted a FG trailer because we are limited to 2000# by our Subaru. We are very happy with our Trillium 1300. It tows easily and weighs 1840# with all our 'junque' in it. (thanks to Frederick L. Simson the Weigh Man).

We bought new, but there seems to be plenty of Trilliums coming up for sale. One just has to be alert and patient.

Roger

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #10

British Columbia
thanks!
Old 07-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Hello all

I owned a 19 foot motor home a few years back and had a great time with my dogs. I sold it because I wanted a travel trailer.

Now I want a small trailer - light weight - all I need is indoor plumbing ( no shower required) - everything else I'm flexible with.

I have 2 largish dogs.

Any ideas?
And trailers for sale?

Thanks all.

Penny

Penny,

Welcome.

First of all, all of the links given so far will provide you with excellent resources for used fiberglass trailers.

I travel with labrador retrievers, and am in the middle of my second year with a Bigfoot.

First of all, why have you limited the weight to 2000 pounds? What TV (tow vehicle) will you be using?

My first suggestion is that you take a trip to the your TV's dealership and have a long talk with the service manager. My service manager (CHEVROLET) got on his computer and printed out a couple of articles on towing the particular model and year of our SUV. The manufactures web site was not available to the general public, and so I got info I could not access from home. The articles talked about weight distribution and gave me ideas regarding the maximum trailer weight for my car. But it is important to realize that when looking at a trailer you need to factor in your TV's weight aft of its axle when fully loaded, including passengers (in your case dogs, and dog crates).

You may find out that you can handle a heavier trailer, and that knowledge will increase your options.

I was originally looking at Casitas and Scamps. The problem I ran into was these trailers are very narrow, and I was worried that my dogs would be uncomfortable. I also wanted a separate dinning area and more storage space. And so, I opted for a wider trailer.

There are, of course, gas milage trade-offs between a wider and narrower trailer, as well as the total weight. So you also need to think about whether you will be full-timing, going on camping vacations, etc. I do a lot of dry camping, so I do appreciate a marine bath/shower and propane fueled appliances. I really don't like having to pack up my toiletries and shower towels and walking over to the trailer park's shower room. So with full hookups, my trailer's shower is even more desirable!

Your budget is also important. I am amazed at the asking price for older, fiberglass trailers. On the plus side, they retain their value. On the negative side, you are going to spend $$ on 20 plus year units. Yes, these units are more reliable than stick trailers, but they also have aged appliances and have been known to leak. So, you will need to think about $$ needed to upgrade/replace stuff within your trailer.

One good thing, Canada has a lot of used Fiberglass trailers. So you should be able to locate a solid trailer for sale relatively close to you. You just need to think about what you want.

BTW, if you are in a position to immediately get in your car and cross the border into the US, consider attending the Northern Oregon Gathering. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-44070.html

You will meet many of the wonderful folks on this forum and have an opportunity to see first hand fiberglass trailers of all ages and makes. You don't need to pull a trailer, just check into a nearby motel (Call in sick for monday and tuesday).

Just a thought.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #12

British Columbia
thank you so much.
have a wonderful time this weekend.
it is pouring with rain up here -hopefully you will have better weather.

I am keeping my ears open for a small lightweight trailer. I can only pull 2000 pounds which is what the Hyundai is rated for. And the dealer was useless in helping me - they know virtually nothing about pulling a trailer.

So if you hear of anyone from Portland north that has a good deal on a small RV let me know.
I kinda like the hi-lo's, and the chalet or other hard top 'tent' trailers. They are lighter weight and easier to store and pull.

thanks again
Penny
Old 07-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #13

Name: Mark
Trailer: Amerigo F16 and 1984 19 ft Scamp 5th Wheel
Wisconsin
Penny,

First, welcome! I'm sort-of new here myself.

Second, I agree with the previous posters who recommend going and seeing lots of trailers to get an idea what will work for you. I had my little Amerigo for years, so I knew I wanted a fiberglass trailer, but I had a hard time here in the midwest, finding other models to compare. Any opportunity you get to see and compare, take full advantage of it.

Adequate space is a very subjective and personal choice. I finally decided on a Scamp 5th wheel simply because I liked having a large bed completely separate from the dining table. At my height (6'2") most of the trailers I found are a bit short. But I don't care so much about that as I don't plan on spending much time standing up inside. But I am sure that height might matter very much to someone else. Until you have stood, sat and even tried laying down in a particular trailer, you can't know how you will like it.

Also, THIS is the best place to look for a used trailer, if you decide to go that route!

Good luck with your search,
Mark

Quote:
Hello all

I have 2 largish dogs.

Any ideas?
And trailers for sale?

Thanks all.

Penny
Mark12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #14

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Hello all

I have 2 largish dogs.

Penny
Hi, Penny

You don't say whether you're committed to fiberglass as a material...so...

At the risk of being tarred and feathered for committing heresy :
I recommend that you check out the following site, which gives detailed information on "ultralightweight" trailers.
Guide To Ultra-Lightweight Travel Trailers
Ultralight is defined there as under 2000 lbs. The site's author disliked fiberglass and doesn't include trailers made from it in his very comprehensive list.(Of course, you can get info on those right here!) Many of the trailers on the site's list are all aluminum and you may be surprised to find that they're often lighter per square foot than our fiberglass rigs.
Also a bit cheaper!
Here's one that I think is very nice, and it's only 1300 lbs. with all appliances.
There isn't a similar-sized fiberglass trailer in production today that is anywhere near that light.
This trailer (shown in available toy-hauler configuration) is by Microlite, and they sell other models, too. Micro-Lite Trailers

I'll now go stand in the corner and wait for my punishment...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I'll now go stand in the corner and wait for my punishment...

Francesca
Pssst. No one better get the whacker out. We all know molded isn't for everyone, wrong price point, wrong configuration and/or wrong weight. We're just fanatical here on FiberglassRV and I suppose feel we should always point out the positives, like shape which MAY give higher fuel economy and resale value. Check any 10 year old sticky (other than the classics) and they have to practically give them away, not so molded fiberglass! Come out of the corner Francesca
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #16

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Whew!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #17

British Columbia
thanks so much Mark
everyone has been so incredibly helpful - this is agreat website.

Will keep up the looking and due dilligence to find the perfect fit,

Thanks again
penny
Old 07-20-2011, 12:32 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
You indicated that you had a 2000 lb towing limit. That somewhat limits the trailer you can pull. That puts you probably into a 13' trailer, such as Scamp, Casita, or Trillium, maybe a 13' Escape in the new category. There's a number of other small trailers in the used areas.

Before you buy you need to be aware that almost, if not all, trailer manufactures under rate the weight of the trailer. To get a feel for actual trailer weights I suggest you look at this area of this site.

After looking at Fredrick's weights Escape and Casita are out.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:09 AM   #19

Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 ft (My Burrito!)
Smile Burro

Quote:
Hello all

I have 2 largish dogs.

Any ideas?
And trailers for sale?

Thanks all.

Penny
Hi Penny...accidently deleted my post..I have an '82 13ft. Burro that I bought in 89 or 90 & wouldn't trade it for anything...Tows like a dream, I can even make U turns, is easy on gas mileage, & I've had 2 large dogs in it, altho I now only have one..It stays warm enough (hot dog breath, you'll have 2!) even when it's cold. It weighs around 800#, 1000# FULLY loaded, & w/ a tongue wt. of around 80#, I can move it around the yard with my trailer dolly when needed. Hope you can find a good trailer soon..It's lots of fun....Karen L.
Karen L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:50 AM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Serro Scotty makes a cute little trailer if you can stand a stickie. LOL They claim the Pup weighs 1350#.

SerroScotty

Of course they are made in Elkhart Indiana and the freight is $1.50 per mile.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, weight